Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just turned 54,000 miles on my 17 Premium.
Within the last few months I have serviced both differentials and CVT (plug only ~ 5.5qts) with Subaru fluids. I did the differentials first which seemed to help smooth out the overall drive feeling. The CVT fluid seemed to help quiet the engine and smooth the shifting & acceleration. Can definitely feel a more refined mechanical experience when driving. Feels like new car in that regard.

Also replaced all factory brakes with Akebono. The rear pads were a fuzz from the wear indicators. The front pads probably had 45% left but the backing plates were starting to rust and separate so everything go replaced. Kept factory rotors.

On a final note, still using factory Panasonic battery. I noticed early on that the water levels were quite low. Check all the cells and keep them filled properly. Once the water (electrolyte) drops below the lead plates, game over. Plus I throw a charger on and load test every few months.

So far so good with this little car. Hopefully I can get another 50,000+ miles out of it.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
13,753 Posts
Good for you!

Our OEM Panasonic battery struggled to start the car when cold (13F) after only a year. They may not be treated well during their journey from Japan...

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
I have not yet pulled the caps and added water. It is "maintenance free" but I have always done that. The one on my '08 lasted well over 100K miles bc of what you are doing.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Sport Cool Gray Khaki
41 Posts
If you keep taking good care of the car, it should go another 250,000, not just 50,000.

·
Prefers black cats
13,753 Posts
If you keep taking good care of the car, it should go another 250,000, not just 50,000.
There's a guy on another forum who went over a million...

·
Registered
495 Posts
Thanks for the post. If you don't mind me asking, what temp did you set the cvt level at? I'm going to do our cvt fluid in spring. Found similar results as you, replacing the front and rear diff fluid on the family's MY18 prem.
regards

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the post. If you don't mind me asking, what temp did you set the cvt level at? I'm going to do our cvt fluid in spring. Found similar results as you, replacing the front and rear diff fluid on the family's MY18 prem.
regards
Hey 77'911, I forgot to follow this thread or I would have replied sooner. :sleep:

I had a difficult time getting the cvt down to proper temp. Left the car sit for a couple of hours to cool off. The outside air temp was somewhere between 80-85*F. The trans dropped to 118*F but as soon as I started the car it began to creep up to 120-122*F. The SnapOn scan tool graphed the temp on a large wireless display which made it easier to view while working under the lift.
I had the luxury of helping my neighborhood mechanic do the job so I cycled the trans an extra couple of times while he checked the fluid "dribble".

I was concerned with it being too hot that the oil would be expanded and then drop too low once cooled but so far I have experienced nothing but smooth shifting and acceleration. Maybe its physiological but I really think the overall performance of the car has significantly improved with fresh diff and cvt oil.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hey 77'911, I forgot to follow this thread or I would have replied sooner. :sleep:

I had a difficult time getting the cvt down to proper temp. Left the car sit for a couple of hours to cool off. The outside air temp was somewhere between 80-85*F. The trans dropped to 118*F but as soon as I started the car it began to creep up to 120-122*F. The SnapOn scan tool graphed the temp on a large wireless display which made it easier to view while working under the lift.
I had the luxury of helping my neighborhood mechanic do the job so I cycled the trans an extra couple of times while he checked the fluid "dribble".

I was concerned with it being too hot that the oil would be expanded and then drop too low once cooled but so far I have experienced nothing but smooth shifting and acceleration. Maybe its physiological but I really think the overall performance of the car has significantly improved with fresh diff and cvt oil.
No problem, just thought I'd ask. The stated range from the factory(p. CVT(TH58A)-41) says 95-113F going through stages they edict. Frankly, I was surprised how much they diff service improved things on the families low mile Crosstrek. I suspect a similar result from the CVT service. Thanks for the reply. I've done similar trans services on our BMW 330xi and Porsche Boxster. I find it's a timely procedure, but quite worth it for long term reliability and performance. I have a low rise lift in the garage to ease the service for this old guy.
regards

·
Prefers black cats
13,753 Posts
that's probably as common like the guy who spent 10 minutes at the bottom of the swimming pool and lived to tell about it :cool:
Haven't heard from the flood rescue guy in a while...

Scubaru?

Reactions: Raleighmclemore

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
760 Posts
I have not yet pulled the caps and added water. It is "maintenance free" but I have always done that. The one on my '08 lasted well over 100K miles bc of what you are doing.
Years and non-use, not miles kill a battery. How many years did it last?

Also, be sure to use distilled water.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts