Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first Subaru…2023 manual trans. base trim, pearl white. Coming from a 2006 Civic manual I bought new. Very different cars, but loving it so far. I’m getting used to the shifting. I read about rev hang before I picked up the car but I don’t seem to have a problem with it (maybe the civic had it too) I do notice that 1st gear seems low/short which makes for a faster shift from 1-2. I’m sure the lower gear will be nice on hilly dirt roads. The only bummer for me since I do not own a cell phone is not having a cd player, so I decided to buy an aftermarket usb player. Does the player drain the battery if I leave it plugged in? I seem to see the light on after I get out and lock the door.
Here’s where I put it:

Gear shift Car Motor vehicle Plant Vehicle

Thanks!

· Registered
2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT
152 Posts
Congrats on the car! Good choice on transmission and colour!

You should be fine leaving the CD player plugged in there. According to the manual, the USB outlets should only have power when the ignition is in the Accessory or Run position.

Sometimes lights on electronic devices can continue to shine for a bit after power is removed. Maybe give it a few minutes and check again?

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks! I’ve been reading the manual for basic stuff, which isn’t much considering it’s a base model. Good idea… I’ll check the light on the player tonight.
Thanks again.

· Registered
2019 Crosstrek Limited
505 Posts
I'm just curious, Moj: how do you not have a cellphone in 2023? Price? For example, as I am writing this, Boost Mobile is selling the Samsung A23 5G phone for $9.99! And their current service deal is $12.50 for the first month, then $25 a month (30GB data, unlimited talk and text). Or is it something else?

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ha! I get this question often. It’s not really about the cost, although I would rather pocket the $30 a month. I’ve just never felt like I needed one. I still look up directions on my computer and write them down to take with me. I have an ipad that I‘m typing on now but it requires wifi. I mainly use it to check email while at work and research things (like buying a crosstrek!)
I do/have other old school habits that just fit me and my lifestyle. If I ever feel I need a cell, I’ll get one.
The other day my insurance agent yelled over to his coworker that “this guy doesn’t own a cell phone!”
Both were curious too.
thanks for the phone/price info

· Registered
2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT
152 Posts
I remember when my boss told me he thought I should get a cell phone. I asked him why, and he said “so I can get ahold of you when you’re not in the office.”

Uh, yeah. That was exactly the reason I didn’t have a cell phone.

(But that was back in 2000. Got one now, but I only answer it when I feel like it. :) )

· Registered
2021 Crosstrek Outdoor - "Trekov"
402 Posts
Ha! I get this question often. It’s not really about the cost, although I would rather pocket the $30 a month. I’ve just never felt like I needed one. I still look up directions on my computer and write them down to take with me. I have an ipad that I‘m typing on now but it requires wifi. I mainly use it to check email while at work and research things (like buying a crosstrek!)
I do/have other old school habits that just fit me and my lifestyle. If I ever feel I need a cell, I’ll get one.
The other day my insurance agent yelled over to his coworker that “this guy doesn’t own a cell phone!”
Both were curious too.
thanks for the phone/price info
Congratulations on your new 3-pedal, base Crosstrek! And with regards to your mindset on current tech (both in and away from the car) ... respect! (y)

Yeah, the base model does not incorporate a CD player in the 6.5-inch multimedia unit. That's a shame. I do love your old skool solutions to in-car navigation plus having tunes in the car while circumventing the use of a "my-entire-existence-in-the-palm-of-my-hand" smartphone.

Still, if you wanted to make some concessions to a more portable, digital listening experience without the need for a smartphone, using a USB thumb drive, preloaded with your favorite .MP3 music files, works very well in the Crosstrek. Downloading authorized, royalty-observant .MP3 music files is dirt cheap, if you know where to look.

PS- At the risk of stating the obvious, be über-aware of anything labeled "smart" ...

S- Self
M- Monitoring
A- Analysis
R- Reporting
T- Technology

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ha! I learned long ago there are different kinds of “smart“. Thanks! Like I said, loving the Crosstrek so far. I’m actually glad it doesn’t have all the new safety features (probably sounds crazy) but it just seems like more stuff to break/stop working, etc. I like driving a car and don’t mind keeping the responsibility of safety on me as much as possible (in a new car).
I have lots of cd’s ripped to my computer so I’ll be making a flash drive soon. Looking forward to that option as well.
thanks!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts