Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

Louder than usual coming from Engine? Transmission? not sure

13K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Cincyguy 
#1 ·
New to the Forum, and I can't find anything about this, so I thought I would ask.

I purchased my 2013 Crosstrek used about 18 months ago and have loved it. But, within the last month or so, it has gotten a lot louder. I know that when it starts up cold it runs higher RPMs until it has warmed up, but this is different. Now, It sounds like a motor is whirling at a higher pitch. It doesn't sound like the normal engine, but more like an electric motor being pushed hard. I have a 35 minute drive to work everyday, and this noise doesn't go away after it warms up. The faster I go, the higher the pitch gets. Even my wife, who rarely drives it, drove it this weekend and asked why it sounded like it whining. She though it sounded like it needed to shift gears, but realizes it was a CVT. But it sounds like RMPs are higher than normal, but the RPM gauge seems like it is normal.

Notes that might help:
it has about 53K miles on it.
Just had an oil change before the sound started, but I don't think it was right after.... i.e. not sure it has anything to do with it. But who knows? Wrong Viscosity from the shop?
Tires seem okay. My first thought was maybe there was something in the tire that was making the Hum, but I can't find anything.
RPMs seem "normal" for the subaru... between 2000 and 2500 rpms when at 60 mph.
To my knowledge, the transmission fluid has never been changed. at least not in the last 18 months I've owned it. Not sure if that would help or not.
I have not tried revving the warm engine while in Neutral to see if the noise follows. I guess that would possibly narrow it down between engine and Transmission?
The only repair I've done to it, is changing out the Brake Light Sensor that was going bad.
Original Spark Plugs.
No alterations or changes done to the vehicle.

Something on it has changed, but no warning lights are coming up and temps seem to be okay. Gas mileage has fallen from avg or 30-31mpg to 26-27 mpg, but I'm thinking that is more of a factor of "winter formula" gas and letting it warm up in the mornings to get the frost/ice off for 15 minutes before leaving for work.

any thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
Front Differential - that's the one that creates higher than normal whining noise... Already happened on my 2013XV...its just good that it was covered by warranty...it just took 3 weeks before the part came...
But after it was changed, it's back to its flawless condition...

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
If it only make the noise when moving and the pitch of the noise changes with the speed I would suspect a wheel bearing. I have a 2013 also and just had the left rear wheel bearing replaced. Complaind a little to my dealer who agreed to cover the entire cost. But I have been going to this dealer for 15 years.
I suspect the wheel bearing problem is not uncommon in 2013 Crosstreks

#6 ·
I have an appointment at my closest Subaru dealer (an hour away) on Friday, So i'll find out then if it's the differential or wheel bearing. From what I can tell, the wheel bearing is also covered in the powertrain warranty.

So, we'll see in a couple of days.

#8 ·
Thanks to all for the replies. I did take it to the dealership (1.5 hours away...ugh). They found the problem. It was the right rear wheel bearing causing the problem. I guess it was so bad, they had a hard time even getting it off. Ceased up (from a bolt perspective). It was covered under my powertrain warranty, so it saved me approx. $375 from the dealership. Took about 3 hours, mostly due to not being able to get it off easily. But now my cabin is quiet again... at least as quiet as a crosstrek will be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.