Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
161 - 180 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
An update: I brought my vehicle in about 3 times to be told nothing was wrong. I called up my dealer after finding this forum thread, and asked for them to look into the TSB. They said they couldn’t do anything without my car their, so I brought it in. They did the update with no questions what so ever, and told me this is the last time they’d do something for free since I have voided my warranty with some mods, even though they caused the issue in the first place… anyway! The update has seemed to help a lot. I’ve noticed ever so slightly sluggishness in those RPM’s still sometimes but no more stutter. I don’t know if the update was the total fix but it sure did help a whole lot.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
2020 Crosstrek Limited
1,294 Posts
An update: I brought my vehicle in about 3 times to be told nothing was wrong. I called up my dealer after finding this forum thread, and asked for them to look into the TSB. They said they couldn’t do anything without my car their, so I brought it in. They did the update with no questions what so ever, and told me this is the last time they’d do something for free since I have voided my warranty with some mods, even though they caused the issue in the first place… anyway! The update has seemed to help a lot. I’ve noticed ever so slightly sluggishness in those RPM’s still sometimes but no more stutter. I don’t know if the update was the total fix but it sure did help a whole lot.
What sort of modifications were done that they say voided your warranty?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Crosstrek Premium
1,759 Posts
So even with my engine mods, with my car being under so many miles and brand new, my warranty is still standing?
I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that the onus would be on them to show that your mods caused the failure. So if you put a lift on and your CV joints went early, they could reasonably deny the claim. But if your radio stopped working, they shouldn't deny the claim based on your lift kit.
So your story about identifying the issue several times and then them telling you that they don't have to fix it because you made some modifications doesn't make sense to me. They should have to show that your mods caused the issue. If your issue existed prior to the mods, then you should be covered.
It's worth noting that the guy at the dealer that you spoke to was also probably not a lawyer...

·
Registered
2022 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
942 Posts
For those who have seen the TSB, what's the solution? new version ECM flash (which would mean Subaru made it available to every dealer), or do they manually tweak a certain parameter?

PS: For obvious reasons, Imprezas owners struggle with it as well. If anyone has an account with the impreza5 forum , might be worthwhile to point them out to this thread, or the TSB:

·
Registered
348 Posts
For those who have seen the TSB, what's the solution? new version ECM flash (which would mean Subaru made it available to every dealer), or do they manually tweak a certain parameter?
It's a FlashWrite reprogramming process via the OBD connector. As the first page of the TSB notes, ECM reprogramming files have been made available to the dealers.

·
Registered
2019 6MT
5 Posts
Hi Canadian owners, finally Subaru admits there is a problem. I just booked a service appointment with my local dealer to have the ECM reprogrammed. The TSB #09-77-21R dated 6 Aug 2021 states the knock sensor may detect crank shaft vibration causing the ECM to interpret it incorrectly as engine knocking which can result in incorrect ignition timing leading to a noticeable reduction or delay in acceleration. The new logic enhances engine knocking detection by the ECM. The repair code is WVU-31 ECM reprogramming. Hopefully after the repair I can stop resorting to over revving the engine to avoid the problem rpm range.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
393 Posts
If I'm not experiencing the issues, would it be a bad idea to have the TSB performed? Any thoughts other than "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If I'm not experiencing the issues, would it be a bad idea to have the TSB performed? Any thoughts other than "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?
For me, any software update I will just take it since many times they may include minor enhancement. Worst thing to happen is just to flash back to old software if the new one cause problem. So I would say low risk except that you may need to waste time to visit your dealer again.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
393 Posts
For me, any software update I will just take it since many times they may include minor enhancement. Worst thing to happen is just to flash back to old software if the new one cause problem. So I would say low risk except that you may need to waste time to visit your dealer again.
Thanks for the reply. My next question was going to be about the ability to flash back to the old software so, now that I know it's possible, I agree there's not a lot to lose.

Appreciate it! 👍

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
393 Posts
Just an update for anyone interested: I stopped by the dealer and showed them the TSB. They said the car would need to be showing symptoms if I wanted the reflash performed under warranty. They also said it was NOT possible to flash back to the older software once it had been updated. I'm not saying I agree with that because, honestly, I have no idea. I'm just passing on what I was told.

·
Registered
2022 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
942 Posts
Called a local dealer, scheduled an appointment for mid-September. I was told they'd keep the car for 1-2 days (!!) to make all the "tests" that Subaru requires them to do before allowing the ECM flash.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
393 Posts
Called a local dealer, scheduled an appointment for mid-September. I was told they'd keep the car for 1-2 days (!!) to make all the "tests" that Subaru requires them to do before allowing the ECM flash.
Do you feel your car has the symptoms discussed in this thread? I apologize in advance if you've mentioned it already.

161 - 180 of 198 Posts