Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
141 - 160 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow! That's great! I'll have to open a ticket with Subaru of america. It seemed people weren't getting answers that way but it sounds like they are actually trying to help you. I'm still having this issue and it's pretty severe. They told me also they couldn't find anything wrong and that they didn't need to replace the coils because mine were fine. Still bogging way down and jerking from 2k-3k rpms
I don't even think you have to open a ticket. Just call the dealership and tell them the TSB number and schedule the update.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just drove for an hour in very hilly terrain and I'm definitely feeling a big difference in performance. I can take hills in 3rd gear again with no hesitation or loss of power really.
I’ve been having the same issue with my 21’ 6MT. I’ve done everything from a K&N filter, to charcoal delete. The issue still happens. Did this update work for you? Considering resetting my ecu. Did this update work for you?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’ve been having the same issue with my 21’ 6MT. I’ve done everything from a K&N filter, to charcoal delete. The issue still happens. Did this update work for you? Considering resetting my ecu. Did this update work for you?
So far it seems to have worked. We haven't had any extreme temp and humidity days, but I've seen that the hesitation around 2300 rpms is no longer occurring. I'm not having to drop a gear to get up hills anymore. So I'm going to optimistically say this might have done the trick.

·
Registered
Crosstrek Limited 2021
175 Posts
So looks like they chose to ignore knocks. This is not a good solution as knocks will eventually destroy the engine. And Subaru engines have tendency to knock when hot. From what I can say - the engine starts to act up when it gets really hot. Not like commute hot, more like hot after you drive it for hours in local traffic when weather is hot and humid. This was a deciding factor for me to let go of the car. I am pretty sure there are plenty of cars like this on consumer market. The only comparison I have is 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and 2019 BMW M2C - those could handle prolong heavy use without any drama. But those 2 cars are on another level technically. Another unpleasant fact, I have to use A/C when outside temp gets to >80F (I think this is what makes things worse for the engine). It gets really hot inside of the Crosstrek. I do not have to do it on Wrangler or BMW even when temp outside close to 90F, just crack the windows slightly open and it is enough.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I finally got thru this thread, it's a shame that so far there is no easy diy fix. I have a'17 Crosstrek CVT that has always had very bad power when heat soaked. I have a'19 OB 2.5 that has the exact issue people described here with the stuttering between 2-3k rpm. It just randomly started one day, I assumed old/bad gas, but it has continued since. Took to the dealer and they gave the same speal about no CEL. Shame there aren't many tuners for these cars and that the factory can't start with a decent tune to begin with.

·
Registered
Crosstrek Limited 2021
175 Posts
Yesterday, I was waiting at the traffic light. It goes green, I started accelerating and heard that disgusting engine knocks. First thought: hm, so Wrangler has this issue as well, but then I looked on the left lane and saw old lady in Subaru Outback (2-3 years old) happily pinging away (continuously!) on the left turn lane. Most folks have no idea it is going on. The issue is not with tunes, it is the engines that could not handle the heat. Ignoring pings (detonations) is not a solution. Besides, right now it is not even hot in Eastern PA, as we have a second week of cool < 80F and low humid weather, that is very unusual in August here, back to normal - heat wave with high humid next week.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am pretty frustrated with this. I have had the car since it was new and I have been patiently waiting for Subaru to release a fix, and they finally do.

I call my dealer and explain that I would like to schedule the TSB. Since I am 6 months out of warranty, I have to pay for this to be done... plus the diagnostic fee. But, we all know how this plays out. The technician won't be able to duplicate the issue and therefore I can't have the work done. Honestly, I would happily pay for the fee if I knew that the problem would show when the technician drives it. I then called SOA and they echoed the same thing, so I am kind of at a loss.

·
Registered
Crosstrek Limited 2021
175 Posts
Subaru dealers like to say: "You have nothing to worry about, it is under warranty, if something goes wrong - we will replace the engine". I guess the next thing you know - you are out of warranty and nothing is ever addressed. I knew this is coming, so I just took advantage of crazy used marker car prices and walked away with virtually no loss. In fact, it was very lucrative ownership, but impossible to continue with it, so I am glad, I got off easy. In normal times, I would consider myself screwed in this kind of situation.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Crosstrek Premium
1,759 Posts
Yesterday, I was waiting at the traffic light. It goes green, I started accelerating and heard that disgusting engine knocks. First thought: hm, so Wrangler has this issue as well, but then I looked on the left lane and saw old lady in Subaru Outback (2-3 years old) happily pinging away (continuously!) on the left turn lane. Most folks have no idea it is going on. The issue is not with tunes, it is the engines that could not handle the heat. Ignoring pings (detonations) is not a solution. Besides, right now it is not even hot in Eastern PA, as we have a second week of cool < 80F and low humid weather, that is very unusual in August here, back to normal - heat wave with high humid next week.
So I'm not saying you're wrong, but the problem I see with the heat or hot weather hypothesis is that there are plenty of Crosstreks in hotter places like Phoenix. If that was the cause, wouldn't the Crosstreks here have tons of issues? We have whole months that don't drop below 80 degrees.

·
Registered
Crosstrek Limited 2021
175 Posts
So I'm not saying you're wrong, but the problem I see with the heat or hot weather hypothesis is that there are plenty of Crosstreks in hotter places like Phoenix. If that was the cause, wouldn't the Crosstreks here have tons of issues? We have whole months that don't drop below 80 degrees.
Arizona is tough place to be during summer, although humid is low. I spent like 2 weeks in Phoenix area due to 9/11. I think the heat issue is not an extreme, in my case the engine was ok 99.8% of the time, except those 2-3 knocks when engine starts to spin up and I never had continuous knocks. In my case, those knocks were ignored by ECU as they would never go away and I did not notice any changes in engine performance. But overtime those knocks would add up. It most likely will get quite a long time to cause real damage, well after warranty expires. This is why just ignoring knocks is not a long term solution for the owners. It may be ok to get you over the warranty period, but I use cars well beyond warranty.

·
Registered
2022 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
942 Posts
Attached is the first page of TSB 09-77-21 regarding loss of power on the 2018-21MY Trek 2.0L with 6MT.
The knock sensor has been detecting crankshaft vibration as knock.
When the TSB appears on the NHTSA site I'll post the link to the complete document.

View attachment 307071
Wow, thanks. I contacted a local dealer this week, he wasn't even able to find the TSB - and mentioned that SOA TSBs don't even apply in Canada. I guess we'll get a local version... in autumn.

Why does it involve only MT cars ? The issue is being reported across CVT/MT alike...

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Wow, thanks. I contacted a local dealer this week, he wasn't even able to find the TSB - and mentioned that SOA TSBs don't even apply in Canada. I guess we'll get a local version... in autumn.

Why does it involve only MT cars ? The issue is being reported across CVT/MT alike...
Perhaps the vibration is only certain rpm related to lugging, so cvt may not load the engine as much as manual as also can be seen on different rear differential oil.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I was wondering what you guys were talking about…today, I found out…will have to report to dealer and ask about TSB.

141 - 160 of 198 Posts