Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
121 - 140 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm sad to be having to join the discussion, but here I am. I'm glad I found this thread as I'm now having this problem after having the ignition coil recall addressed for the 3rd (yes 3rd) time on my 2019 Crosstrek 6m. It was done the 2nd time 2 weeks ago, and my problem started when I picked up the car. It took Dutch Miller Subaru a week to get me back in. They redid the recall again and had me wait 2.5 hrs and sent me on my way. Within 20 minutes I was back and had the service manager do a drive along with me. He witnessed the issue. They've now had the car a week and told me yesterday they can't find a problem come pick up my car. Thanks to this thread I opened a ticket with Subaru of America and they are now dealing (or trying to, they can't get them to answer the phone) with the dealership. SOA told me to keep the dealership courtesy car until this is resolved. I sent the dealership a link to this thread, and also reached out to the Service Manager at Tucson Subaru listed further up in this forum and he gave me some information to pass along to my dealership. So, I'll keep you guys posted on the outcome of this. I haven't heard back from the Dealership since I dropped a bunch of information about potential causes and called them out for only doing digital diagnostics sooooo. We'll see. Thanks for all the previously shared info guys.

·
Super-Duper Moderator
974 Posts
Welcome to the forums @Aquilis.... Even if under less than ideal circumstances.

You'll find a lot of useful information on here... Some trivial, but mostly the former.

C.

·
Registered
2019 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
371 Posts
Unfortunately it seems it's not even a recognised "issue" but a side-effect of the stock tune, occuring in particular conditions. Probably present in all Crosstrek/imprezas with the FB20D, with only a small fraction of owners noticing it - and an even smaller fraction trying obsessively to pinpoint it. Util someone slams it on a dyno, and takes detailed logs, we'll keep speculating.. and I sincerely doubt Subaru will do anything about it.

·
Registered
2021 ISM Crosstrek Ltd
183 Posts
I owned a '19 Impreza with the FB20D, live and drive in the same area as @Aquillis, and while I didn't like how the engine worked initially, it was solved in two stages.

First change came with the ignition recall ECM update. But what really made my engine sing was a fuel additive... methanol. Our areas is all mountainous, meaning the engine is stressed beyond "normal" tune parameters by the hills which variable load the engine beyond the octane limitations of the recommended 87 octane gasoline. IMO the "problem" is that the low octane gas combined with the mountainous driving causes the stock tune to preemptively retard timing, etc. which results in... low power etc. So-called testing by a dealership isn't likely to reveal any such issue.

Higher octane gas, like 89, also corrects the issue... but it does not provide the same benefits that the methanol provides in addition to its octane boost (it'll take your research to understand this). After reading the OM and discovering the '19 Impreza's FB20D can use 10% ethanol (what our gas already is) PLUS 5% methanol (of which I have a supply and replenishment is cheap and available) I began putting .5 gal methanol to every 10 gal fill of 87 octane (Exxon) and the engine thence ran amazingly winter and summer from startup on regardlessly.

Sadly, with plenty of methanol on hand now, my '21 Crosstrek isn't allowed anything but 10% ethanol. Nevertheless, I still put in a little (pint) with my usual MMO and Techron and engine performance is flawless.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had this same issue with my 2019. Engine would intermittently run rough, hesitate and be WAY down on power between 2300-2800 rpm. Problem would clear up if I could get it to rev above 3000. The problem seemed to be primarily connected with the humidity level and I did my best to eliminate other variables. AC on or off didn't matter at all. The problem was worse the hotter it got but it seemed to be primarily driven by humidity.

I had it into the dealer on three separate occasions and they "were unable to recreate the problem" each time. I had the ignition coil reprogram recall done last summer but that didn't resolve it. I responded to a Subaru corporate survey about my "service experience" and I explained the issue in my least non-pissed-off way possible. I finished with, "The only thing that remains to be discovered, apart from the source of the engine problem, is whether there's anyone on the other end of this survey who cares enough to try to do something about it."

A couple days later, I got a call from Subaru Corporate. As this was in October of last year and Michigan winters aren't known for their heat and humidity, they extended the warranty on my car with respect to that issue and said I could bring it into my dealer when I thought it was hot and humid enough to be acting up. I waited until the beginning of this July. Subaru did another recall on the ignition coils but this time it was for replacement rather than just reprogramming.

I'm delighted to report that it has seemed to resolve my issue. It's running MUCH better and doesn't have the hesitation or lack of power that it had when hot and humid. So, after 27 months and 57,000 miles I finally have the car I paid for.

So, if you're having this same issue, get your Crosstrek into the dealer for the coil replacement. I hope it's as effective as resolving your problem as it was mine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm sad to be having to join the discussion, but here I am. I'm glad I found this thread as I'm now having this problem after having the ignition coil recall addressed for the 3rd (yes 3rd) time on my 2019 Crosstrek 6m. It was done the 2nd time 2 weeks ago, and my problem started when I picked up the car. It took Dutch Miller Subaru a week to get me back in. They redid the recall again and had me wait 2.5 hrs and sent me on my way. Within 20 minutes I was back and had the service manager do a drive along with me. He witnessed the issue. They've now had the car a week and told me yesterday they can't find a problem come pick up my car. Thanks to this thread I opened a ticket with Subaru of America and they are now dealing (or trying to, they can't get them to answer the phone) with the dealership. SOA told me to keep the dealership courtesy car until this is resolved. I sent the dealership a link to this thread, and also reached out to the Service Manager at Tucson Subaru listed further up in this forum and he gave me some information to pass along to my dealership. So, I'll keep you guys posted on the outcome of this. I haven't heard back from the Dealership since I dropped a bunch of information about potential causes and called them out for only doing digital diagnostics sooooo. We'll see. Thanks for all the previously shared info guys.
Have they REPLACED the coils rather than just reprogramming them? See my post below. I had the same issue for 2+ years and 57,000 miles. I was ready to firebomb it in their parking lot when they replaced the coils. That seems to have fixed it for me.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
338 Posts
I had this same issue with my 2019. Engine would intermittently run rough, hesitate and be WAY down on power between 2300-2800 rpm. Problem would clear up if I could get it to rev above 3000. The problem seemed to be primarily connected with the humidity level and I did my best to eliminate other variables. AC on or off didn't matter at all. The problem was worse the hotter it got but it seemed to be primarily driven by humidity.

I had it into the dealer on three separate occasions and they "were unable to recreate the problem" each time. I had the ignition coil reprogram recall done last summer but that didn't resolve it. I responded to a Subaru corporate survey about my "service experience" and I explained the issue in my least non-pissed-off way possible. I finished with, "The only thing that remains to be discovered, apart from the source of the engine problem, is whether there's anyone on the other end of this survey who cares enough to try to do something about it."

A couple days later, I got a call from Subaru Corporate. As this was in October of last year and Michigan winters aren't known for their heat and humidity, they extended the warranty on my car with respect to that issue and said I could bring it into my dealer when I thought it was hot and humid enough to be acting up. I waited until the beginning of this July. Subaru did another recall on the ignition coils but this time it was for replacement rather than just reprogramming.

I'm delighted to report that it has seemed to resolve my issue. It's running MUCH better and doesn't have the hesitation or lack of power that it had when hot and humid. So, after 27 months and 57,000 miles I finally have the car I paid for.

So, if you're having this same issue, get your Crosstrek into the dealer for the coil replacement. I hope it's as effective as resolving your problem as it was mine.
Excellent 2nd post ever to the forum. This is very helpful information. Thanks and I hope your Crosstrek is finally working correctly.

P.S. I really admire your patience and your "just enough" passive-aggressiveness. 😉

·
Registered
10 Posts
Excellent 2nd post ever to the forum. This is very helpful information. Thanks and I hope your Crosstrek is finally working correctly.

P.S. I really admire your patience and your "just enough" passive-aggressiveness. 😉
They SAID they replaced them. If that's the fix I don't believe it. I finally picked it up yesterday and it's the same. They say they can't replicate the issue and that what the service manager witnessed was within ordinary operating parameters.... so... screw me I guess? SUA can't do anything because Dutch Miller Subaru won't diagnose it as a problem... They had my car 3 weeks. I gave them a step by step how to replicate it.... The service manager seemed to think it was an issue when I drove him around... but.... That's typical West Virginia for you I guess. It's running, Good Enough. I really don't know where to take it from here. They don't seem to care that I can no longer accelerate to get away from dangerous backwoods drivers that don't have a license.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, Bought a 2019 Crosstrek 6 speed last October 2018. After about a month while driving. Noticed a sudden and dramatic loss of engine power. This went on for 10-15 minutes. Odd thing is that while it lost power. It was still running smoothly. it has done this 5 times in the last year. NO CEL.
It has done this on flat terrain at 70 degrees. In the rain at 62 degrees. Pulling a 4-5% grade in 97 degrees. Tank almost empty as well as after just filling up.
So far Subaru has said. Unless there is a fault code, We can't do anything. Then they had a the gall to say: Just drive until it breaks.
This is BS. We do a lot of traveling in our coach and tow the Subaru behind it.
Total miles on the car in the last year is 8,000 as I do not like it at all and drive our 2003 Legacy Wagon as it has better power and drives better as well.
Hi
I am having the same problem with my 2020 crosstrek 6speed. For me it is usually in hot humid weather. One service center at a dealership did a top engine clean last month as they had received similar complains in the year since I first reported it to them in 2019. The engine clean didn’t fix it. My son has done a lot of car work and has experienced it while driving it. His thought is a spark issue… ignition coil or spark plug or if there is computer control of it.

have you had any resolution?

·
Registered
Crosstrek Limited 2021
167 Posts
I notice on hot and humid days the efficiency drops <20mpg, best efficiency >26mpg at temperature 65F-75F. Sure, I like this weather too, but we only have a few days like it in PA during year. I think the engine overheats at this conditions, especially when A/C is used. Although I do not have prolonged knocks, the engine makes a few knocks (kind of like chirp) at the start to spin up when you press on accelerator under load. I would not even bother with dealer - they would not do anything, except provide a loaner for a day or two. I could also reproduce it when engine idles and hot by ripping it slightly, usually get 1 knock on 4-5 attempts. It stops with 91+ octane. Most folks probably would never even notice it at all. So I do not expect this to be addressed ever, but I have only a few months left before I sell the car.

·
Registered
Crosstrek Limited 2021
167 Posts
Sadly, with plenty of methanol on hand now, my '21 Crosstrek isn't allowed anything but 10% ethanol. Nevertheless, I still put in a little (pint) with my usual MMO and Techron and engine performance is flawless.
Just my two cents.
By MMO you mean pint of methanol per tank? I would try it on my 21 CT Limited.

·
Registered
2021 ISM Crosstrek Ltd
183 Posts
By MMO you mean pint of methanol per tank? I would try it on my 21 CT Limited.
No, "MMO" is Marvel Mystery Oil. I add 6 oz of MMO and 6 oz of Techron to every full fill to clean and keep clean my injectors. The meth is in a separate container.

But yes, I put a pint of methanol in with the MMO and Techron at every 10 gal fill of mid-grade 89 octane. I want whatever this engine is capable of without any glitches in this non-typical mountainous environment that definitely taxes gasolines.

The drivetrain is and has been a joy for going on a year now, averaging 30+ mpg in almost all city/local driving. I'd say "just like my Impreza" but the 2.5 lifts the Crosstrek into another league in terms of driving and gets better mileage to boot. Combined with the reduction in intake restriction from removing the vapor filter and the reduction in exhaust back-pressure at high loads/rpms the engine sounds and performs like the state of the art NA engine it is... especially under power. This thing is surprisingly quick and fast and is fully capable of managing its road space under all circumstances.

·
Registered
Crosstrek Limited 2021
167 Posts
It looks like I would not know if it helped my case, as I just got the sell offer from used car dealer I could not refuse. One more stop at Carmax, but I think I got a winner offer already.

·
Registered
5 Posts
They SAID they replaced them. If that's the fix I don't believe it. I finally picked it up yesterday and it's the same. They say they can't replicate the issue and that what the service manager witnessed was within ordinary operating parameters.... so... screw me I guess? SUA can't do anything because Dutch Miller Subaru won't diagnose it as a problem... They had my car 3 weeks. I gave them a step by step how to replicate it.... The service manager seemed to think it was an issue when I drove him around... but.... That's typical West Virginia for you I guess. It's running, Good Enough. I really don't know where to take it from here. They don't seem to care that I can no longer accelerate to get away from dangerous backwoods drivers that don't have a license.
They did replace them. But, unfortunately, it only seems to run better with the new parts. I'm still having the problem and I'm re-contacting SOA about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So, I just got a call from my dealership that there was a bulletin this morning from SOA with a flash update that SHOULD fix my problem according to the service manager. My appointment is Friday. I'll keep you posted, but call your dealerships folx and ask about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So, I just got a call from my dealership that there was a bulletin this morning from SOA with a flash update that SHOULD fix my problem according to the service manager. My appointment is Friday. I'll keep you posted, but call your dealerships folx and ask about it.
Can you get a bulletin number so I can have my dealer look for it? Thanks and I’m looking forward to any update.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So the TSB number is 09-77-21 and it's meant to address the false reading on the knock sensor to prevent loss of power. I won't be able to really test it until the next above 85 degree day since it seems to be ambient temp related and we have a storm rolling in. It's directed specifically for manual transmissions so the CVT people may be out of luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow! That's great! I'll have to open a ticket with Subaru of america. It seemed people weren't getting answers that way but it sounds like they are actually trying to help you. I'm still having this issue and it's pretty severe. They told me also they couldn't find anything wrong and that they didn't need to replace the coils because mine were fine. Still bogging way down and jerking from 2k-3k rpms

121 - 140 of 148 Posts