Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
81 - 100 of 151 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 · (Edited)
Any possibility there might be an issue with throttle body sticking or malfunctioning?

artosa
As I understand it. The Subaru is direct injection and not throttle body. Dang, I stand corrected. It does have direct port injectors AND a throttle body. I was thinking diesel, Which has no throttle butterfly.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,418 Posts
As I understand it. The Subaru is direct injection and not throttle body.
Plus that report of this have been popping up occasionally since before the gen, with GDI.

If you qualify for your state's lemon laws it's certainly worth looking into, if nothing else to put some pressure on SOA. If you trade it in now you'll take a big hit on the depreciation.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Plus that report of this have been popping up occasionally since before the gen, with GDI.

If you qualify for your state's lemon laws it's certainly worth looking into, if nothing else to put some pressure on SOA. If you trade it in now you'll take a big hit on the depreciation.
Just to clarify. I was wrong. It does have a throttle body and port injection.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,418 Posts
Just to clarify. I was wrong. It does have a throttle body and port injection.
The new gen ('18+) is Direct Injection but they still have a throttle body.

Reactions: super7pilot

·
Registered
5 Posts
2019 Crosstrek Premium 6MT

Ugh... came here hoping for a solution, but not seeing it. I am having the same hesitation issues in the mid 2k RPM range. It happens both at consistent fuel/throttle delivery, i.e., no attempt to accelerate, and when attempting to accelerate even a little. It also happens under even the slightest load, like very, very slight inclines, and gets worse under higher loads, like steeper inclines. At first I thought I was bogging what is admittedly a pretty anemic motor. What I have noticed is that this phenomenon has been getting worse over time and increased miles on the car. I now have 13k miles. The only thing that works at all is to down shift to get above the 3k RPM level. That doesn't make any sense to me.

I have noticed a few people mentioning some sort of ECU remap, not the one that comes/came with the coil recall, but something different. I assume this is some sort of aftermarket or bootleg solution? Can anyone comment on this? I have checked with my dealer and they said my car is not currently subject to any recalls.

If I cannot fix this issue relatively easily I will most definitely be trading the car in. I can only just stand how under powered it is. I can't deal with this hesitation issue on top of that if it is indeed a "feature not a bug."

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 · (Edited)
minor update, Just got off the phone with SoA customer service on my open trouble ticket and let them know of the added issue of a hesitation. They said they will elevate this up the chain.

My recommendation to everyone that has this issue. PLEASE CALL 1-800-782-2783. Doesn't matter if your car is in or out of warranty. Subaru Corporate needs to know there is an issue. The dealers in this case are useless and while it's satisfying to vent and seek a resolution on a forum like this one. This problem is beyond the capability of this forum. And so, the more problem tickets that are open at Corporate for this issue, The more manpower Subaru will likely dedicate to it's resolution. NOW! GET ON THE PHONE. As my car goes in next week, I'll keep the group up to date.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys, new here. Same issue. High heat especially, which makes me think its an electrical component more readily affected by ambient air temps. Coudl be throwing of resistance.

My thinking is MAF, knock sensors, possibly tps, and coil packs.

The timing retarding sounds like knock sensors to me.

At any rate, i disconnected the battery, let sit, and reconnected. Turned key to on, waited one minute, then turned it on and let it idle for 10 minutes.

This seems to be a temporary fix.

I think the previous user may be right about the knock sensor and the car learning incorrectly..

I also made a ticket with regars to the issue, and cited this thread and the ideas herein.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Hey guys, new here. Same issue. High heat especially, which makes me think its an electrical component more readily affected by ambient air temps. Coudl be throwing of resistance.

My thinking is MAF, knock sensors, possibly tps, and coil packs.

The timing retarding sounds like knock sensors to me.

At any rate, i disconnected the battery, let sit, and reconnected. Turned key to on, waited one minute, then turned it on and let it idle for 10 minutes.

This seems to be a temporary fix.

I think the previous user may be right about the knock sensor and the car learning incorrectly..

I also made a ticket with regars to the issue, and cited this thread and the ideas herein.
Sorry to hear you're having this issue as well. Thank you for opening a problem ticket with SoA.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm sad to see this isn't fully resolved. I have a 2019 Premium 6MT and about a month ago at about 11k miles I started experiencing this. I had been driving around fine all day then all of a sudden while getting on the highway I lost power (hesitation, slow acceleration) below 3k rpm. It was bad enough that if it took a turn and downshifted into second if I was below 3k revs I would nearly stall. No dash lights came on or have ever come on.

I brought it to the dealer to explain what was happening and they did the ECM update per the recall, and said my mechanic had put too much oil in and that's why it was losing power. The mechanic checked and said it may be 1/2 liter too much and fixed it. It didn't solve the problem, so I brought it back to the dealer. They did a "thorough check" (5 second peek under the hood and 3 minute test drive) and said the master tech says it's running like a normal Crosstrek. There was no error reported so no error occurred (!). When I said there is no way it was always like this he said, "what do you expect from a Crosstrek when the AC is on?" So I left there and won't be returning, but the problem did slowly fade the more miles I put on the car to the point where after a couple of weeks I felt it was back to normal, so I thought maybe the oil had something to do with it.

Flash forward to today. I was driving around and everything was fine. I stopped to get gas and filled the gas tank (first time I completely filled it since the original problem). Got in to drive away and within a quarter of a mile the power loss is back just as bad as it was originally. I did notice while filling the tank that the first few gallons were a pain because the pump kept stopping even though I was pretty much on E. I called my mechanic and he suggested as a shot in the dark trying to drive with the gas cap off to rule out a stuck gas tank vent. It maybe helped a little but not much.

Wanted to add this because I can directly connect the loss of power with a gas fill-up (this time). Planning on going back to the dealer (a different one) and explaining this, and I'll also mention this thread and the knock sensor. Hopefully they can figure this out because otherwise I love this car!

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
I'm sad to see this isn't fully resolved. I have a 2019 Premium 6MT and about a month ago at about 11k miles I started experiencing this. I had been driving around fine all day then all of a sudden while getting on the highway I lost power (hesitation, slow acceleration) below 3k rpm. It was bad enough that if it took a turn and downshifted into second if I was below 3k revs I would nearly stall. No dash lights came on or have ever come on.

I brought it to the dealer to explain what was happening and they did the ECM update per the recall, and said my mechanic had put too much oil in and that's why it was losing power. The mechanic checked and said it may be 1/2 liter too much and fixed it. It didn't solve the problem, so I brought it back to the dealer. They did a "thorough check" (5 second peek under the hood and 3 minute test drive) and said the master tech says it's running like a normal Crosstrek. There was no error reported so no error occurred (!). When I said there is no way it was always like this he said, "what do you expect from a Crosstrek when the AC is on?" So I left there and won't be returning, but the problem did slowly fade the more miles I put on the car to the point where after a couple of weeks I felt it was back to normal, so I thought maybe the oil had something to do with it.

Flash forward to today. I was driving around and everything was fine. I stopped to get gas and filled the gas tank (first time I completely filled it since the original problem). Got in to drive away and within a quarter of a mile the power loss is back just as bad as it was originally. I did notice while filling the tank that the first few gallons were a pain because the pump kept stopping even though I was pretty much on E. I called my mechanic and he suggested as a shot in the dark trying to drive with the gas cap off to rule out a stuck gas tank vent. It maybe helped a little but not much.

Wanted to add this because I can directly connect the loss of power with a gas fill-up (this time). Planning on going back to the dealer (a different one) and explaining this, and I'll also mention this thread and the knock sensor. Hopefully they can figure this out because otherwise I love this car!
I have had this issue on a tank that was just filled, On a tank that was at 1/4. In cool 60 degree rainy weather with the A/C off, At 90+ degree weather.

Please do as I suggested a few posts back and make a call to Subaru Corp 1-800-782-2783 and open a problem ticket. A chorus at Subaru's door will echo much more loudly than folks on the interweb.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys this is CrawwsTrok from above (i cant sign into my other account).

I may have found a solution.

Upon looking at the Vehicle Dynamics Control or VDC:

"If this doesn’t produce the desired results, VDC will then take corrective action by adjusting torque-split front to rear (CVT models only), applying the brakes to individual wheels, altering engine timing and reducing fuel flow to the engine .This combination of Subaru symmetrical full-time AWD and VDC produces superior levels of active safety with even more unique added benefits."

This could very well be the problem, and would explain the timing retard that the previous user logged. A failing or faulty ecu programming for the VDC or perhaps the VDC itself.

Ive been driving with VDC turned OFF and have yet to run into the issue. Key word YET.

At any rate, i urge you guys to try turning it off, especially when it is occurring, to see if this amends the issue.

If so, Subaru needs to do a tsb/recall for a faulty VDC programme.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 · (Edited)
Hey guys this is CrawwsTrok from above (i cant sign into my other account).

I may have found a solution.

Upon looking at the Vehicle Dynamics Control or VDC:

"If this doesn’t produce the desired results, VDC will then take corrective action by adjusting torque-split front to rear (CVT models only), applying the brakes to individual wheels, altering engine timing and reducing fuel flow to the engine .This combination of Subaru symmetrical full-time AWD and VDC produces superior levels of active safety with even more unique added benefits."

This could very well be the problem, and would explain the timing retard that the previous user logged. A failing or faulty ecu programming for the VDC or perhaps the VDC itself.

Ive been driving with VDC turned OFF and have yet to run into the issue. Key word YET.

At any rate, i urge you guys to try turning it off, especially when it is occurring, to see if this amends the issue.

If so, Subaru needs to do a tsb/recall for a faulty VDC programme.

Cheers.
I'll mention the VDC when the car goes to the shop on Tuesday. This time, SoA will be directly communicating with my dealer.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
705 Posts
So maybe faulty wheel speed sensors?
The tone rings attached to the wheel hubs are very problematic (rusting and falling apart) in some GM vehicles, does Subaru use a similar arrangement?

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
So maybe faulty wheel speed sensors?
The tone rings attached to the wheel hubs are very problematic (rusting and falling apart) in some GM vehicles, does Subaru use a similar arrangement?
I would imagine that a lost signal from an antilock wheel sensor would very quickly throw a fault code. However, If another sensor such as the knock-sensor or the VDC sensor pack is telling the ECU that the engine is knocking or the car is in a vehicle dynamic situation (Slipping or sliding) That will not be a fault.

I. E. A safety sensor sending a signal when the situation doesn't require such a signal. Can't be a fault according to the ECU. As those sensors are doing what they are designed to do. They just seem to be doing this randomly and unnecessarily.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update:

With VDC off i still get the dip in power/split second hesitation at 2.5k rpms but have not experienced the major power loss phenomenon.

Another thing to add, and why I suspect VDC:

I would experience the major power loss, not just minimal loss, when turning and hitting the gas high throttle, but with VDC off i can floor it in corners and have 100% power. It feels just like the loss we get under load on the other conditions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm having the same issue. 2019 Crosstrek 6MT.
I have called SOA and I suggest others do the same. Setting up an appointment with the dealership. Ill be told the same thing the last time I took it in to be looked at. "We can't find anything wrong"...

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
here is the data log files that another member sent me. Around page 34 on the PDF you can see that the "learned Ign timing" goes from 0 to -7, At the same time the "Ign timing advance #1 (B) goes from 25-30 degrees advance all the way down to .5 degrees retard. And the Mass air flow reading jumps up from mid teens to 40. Show this to the service department big wig so they can see that something did happen. I also sent this to SoA.

Attachments

81 - 100 of 151 Posts