Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
One of the posts said something about getting a full tank of premium to help with this issue. I have been using premium for the past two or three fill-up (usually at half a tank). Not sure if it the cool weather or the premium fuel, but the bogging seems to be diminishing. Accelerated, in third, with both the A/C on and not, up fairly steep (for Florida) hills and no need to floor it just to maintain speed.
Is this issue working itself out for anyone else?
P.S. My dealer knew nothing about this issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
The official fuel requirement per Subaru is regular unleaded. If folks want to buy premium to try and MASK an issue, That's up to them.

When the ignition timing goes from it's normal advance setting to retardation. That is an issue that will not work itself out.

My dealer didn't know about it either. That is why you need to call Subaru Corp and open a case number. If enough do so. Subaru will have to solve the issue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The official fuel requirement per Subaru is regular unleaded. If folks want to buy premium to try and MASK an issue, That's up to them.

When the ignition timing goes from it's normal advance setting to retardation. That is an issue that will not work itself out.

My dealer didn't know about it either. That is why you need to call Subaru Corp and open a case number. If enough do so. Subaru will have to solve the issue.
What I was going for, is that not use premium for the life of the car, but run a tank or two of premium to clear the cobwebs, then switch back to regular with the hope that all is better. I would like that number, I did email Subaru, but a call is better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
[/QUOTE]
What I was going for, is that not use premium for the life of the car, but run a tank or two of premium to clear the cobwebs, then switch back to regular with the hope that all is better. I would like that number, I did email Subaru, but a call is better.
Running a tank or two of premium does not "clear the cobwebs" from anything.
Especially in an engine that won't make more power since it's not designed or tuned for that octane fuel.
Our engines and the engine management system that Subaru uses, as near as I can tell, cannot make use of additional anti-knock properties of a higher octane fuel.

Not to say that it isn't possible, because I had a Ford that absolutely could make use of higher octane fuel. While 87 was recommended in it, there was even literature in the owner's manual that said something like "you may experience better performance with higher octane fuel"....and it absolutely could make use of the advanced timing in midrange part throttle driving conditions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bump
Chatter on this topic has seemed to fade, are folks still having this issue? Had there been a definite fix and Subaru addressing.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts