Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
181 - 198 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
942 Posts
Yes, absolutely. Varies with the outside temperature, but exhibited since day 1, especially in 2nd/3rd gear. First times I just found it odd that the rise in the RPM isn't "smooth".

I see though how it could have escaped their engineers during T&E of the engine. Could be absent when the engine is tested by itself, but when you put everything on the ground, the resonant/vibrational pattern changes because the entire drivetrain is connected and wheels are on the ground - for specific gears.

·
Registered
1 Posts
FWIW, I had the TSB upgrade performed by my dealer yesterday and it seems to have corrected the problem.

I've had the car for over 3 years and during hot weather it has had the loss of power since the beginning. Over time it has gotten worse to the point where I was shopping for a replacement this summer until I saw the update on this thread.

Driving home from the dealer yesterday, it was a hot day and I'm confident based on my car's loss of power all summer that it would have done it, and instead it ran perfect! Other than this problem, I love my car, so I'm hoping this TSB finally resolved this major annoyance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone in Canada have any luck getting the update done by the dealer ? Called my dealer to have it done on my ‘17 Impreza and they said they couldn’t find the TSB I was referring to…

·
Registered
29 Posts
FWIW, I had the TSB upgrade performed by my dealer yesterday and it seems to have corrected the problem.

I've had the car for over 3 years and during hot weather it has had the loss of power since the beginning. Over time it has gotten worse to the point where I was shopping for a replacement this summer until I saw the update on this thread.

Driving home from the dealer yesterday, it was a hot day and I'm confident based on my car's loss of power all summer that it would have done it, and instead it ran perfect! Other than this problem, I love my car, so I'm hoping this TSB finally resolved this major annoyance.
Glad to hear that was your response. Can you let us know how it goes for the next week or two? I'm been dealing with this on mine for about 2.5 years, have mostly only had this happen in the summer (70+ degrees), but sometimes it will take me 20+ miles of driving before it will start to really lack power. Curious if it has 100% resolved the concern for other as well with an ECM update at your dealer.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just got my 21 Crosstrek MT back from ECM software update. Power smooth from 1500 rpm despite 85 degrees and humid this morning. 2.slo engine now actually adequate. Peppier and more responsive. Free car wash and interior vacuum probably contributed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
2019 Crosstrek, 6 MT.
Finally got my local dealer to get mine updated today.

Also, knew I was having a problem with higher speed "noise".
Found a rear wheel bearing was failing, so that was replaced.
Kinda annoyed that it was failing - have about 61,500 miles on it.

I'll let you know once I've put a few more miles since it was updated today.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have had mine updated with the latest ECM calibration in it now.
It's a much smoother power delivery through the RPM range now, and there is no severe bogging like it would do it before. I've gotten about 600 miles on it, have gotten it very hot (which I would duplicate many times before), and the loss of power situation seems to have been resolved.
All feels much better than it was before!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I had the TSB performed on my 2019 Impreza in August. It helped but two weeks later, the same problem was back except instead of hesitating during 2500-3000 RPM in 2nd & 3rd gear, it's hesitating at 2000-2500 in 2nd and 4th gear. 3rd gear is just sluggish until 3000 rpm. The dealer changed the spark plugs. I guess we'll see what happens over the next few weeks. I'm running out of warranty miles...

·
Registered
21 XV 6MT
14 Posts
The breakpoint VIN provided by service bulletin 09-77-21R ("M9366120") does not make sense. At least my VIN uses "MG6" instead of "M93". The 6, or 3, are part of the sequence / ID number, and I would expect those to be the same.

Just took delivery of mine (ordered beginning of July), was trying to figure out if the update was performed at the factory.
So far (200 miles) it's running great, albeit leisurely :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wow! What a stressful thread this was. It was like watching a horror film. How was it all going to turn out? On July 11, 2022 I ordered a new 2023 Crosstrek Sport with a manual transmission. Should get it sometime before Christmas. As it turns out... it's not a scary movie after all. In fact - it has a happy ending! :)

·
Registered
942 Posts
Wow! What a stressful thread this was. It was like watching a horror film. How was it all going to turn out? On July 11, 2022 I ordered a new 2023 Crosstrek Sport with a manual transmission. Should get it sometime before Christmas. As it turns out... it's not a scary movie after all. In fact - it has a happy ending! :)
You'll love it! Any add-ons/accessories?

·
Registered
58 Posts
You'll love it! Any add-ons/accessories?
Thanks! I think I will. I'll be adding a few things like the rubber seat-back protectors and all-weather 'trunk' and floor mats. Plus I'm thinking about maybe getting the trailer hitch put on. If it's put on when I buy it the warranty covers it for 3 years. If I do it later it's only covered for one. [Which you may already know] I also was thinking of getting an extended warranty - but given the fact that this car had been made now for 6 model years - most if not all of the kinks have been ironed out. [Like what was brought up in this thread] Did you get any add-ons or accessories? Any you would recommend or not recommend?

·
Registered
942 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just want to thank you all. I bought a 2018 Impreza MT last summer and I have been having this hesitation issue. I brought up the service bulletin at the dealer yesterday and they didn't make it easy for me but they did end up doing the ECM update! So far so good...I guess time will tell but I'm so glad I didn't spend years pulling my hair out because the problem couldn't be diagnosed. THANK YOU.

·
Registered
2022 Crosstrek Limited
15 Posts
Crazy that this took so long. Maybe COVID screwed up the SOA programmers. MT6 primarily and 2500 rpm were flags that it was ECM issue. Knock sensors are dumb transducers. Measures vibration.

181 - 198 of 198 Posts