Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I drive a 2014 Subaru XV/Crosstrek CVT transmission with a 1.5" lift and all terrain tyres. The other day I was off-roading down by a river bed where the surface is mostly very stoney. I had to cross a few bits of water and noticed that with some crossings with smaller stones i was getting stuck with a loss of power.

I would even have my foot flat to to floor and there was no response from the car, i tried with with dynamic stability on and off (i tried more of a run up, lowering tyre pressure, getting my passengers out etc) but it seemed to just not want to go. I even put the car in neutral and it was very slow to rev up. The water was not high enough to concern me getting water in the air intake however it seemed the engine just didn't want to go.

Is this due to the CVT just not having enough go in this situation or is this a problem with any electronics, driver fault, engine problems??

Fist time poster any advise would be great!!

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,296 Posts
Mostly likely traction control system reducing power when all wheels lose traction. Push the button to shut off TCS and see if that keeps it going. You might get more spinning, but then you can use momentum to keep going.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mostly likely traction control system reducing power when all wheels lose traction. Push the button to shut off TCS and see if that keeps it going. You might get more spinning, but then you can use momentum to keep going.
I did try that but still there was no responsefrom the accelerator. The wheels wouldn’t spin and the revs wouldn’t go up.

·
Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
425 Posts
If your car was slow to increase rpm in neutral I think the problem could be assigned to the engine.

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,296 Posts
I did try that but still there was no responsefrom the accelerator. The wheels wouldn’t spin and the revs wouldn’t go up.
Don't know... My Crosstrek has X-Mode which gives extra sensitivity and traction to distribute the torque and has never had me stopped. But I have experienced that type of thing in another car, a Toyota, when trying to drive up an icy slippery small hill on our street. And disconnecting TCS helped with that, and allowed me to get a faster momentum run to get past the slippery part.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts