Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2021 Crosstrek Premium 2.0L with CVT. I just hit 20k and did another oil change, admittedly about 1k miles too late as costco took about a month to get my oil out to me. The last 2 oil changes I've collected less than 4 full quarts of used oil. I put about 4.5qts new oil in and get roughly 3.2ish used oil back out of it. Is this an unusual amount of consumption? Worth taking it to Subaru for? I dont drive crazy or anything, no silly engine mods. Only have wheels/tires, mostly hwy driving on cruise control in eco mode bt 65-75 mph.

· Registered
483 Posts
What does the stick say? If you check it regularly amd consistently, you will see when you lose oil.
Yes, you can notice it during a change, but far more important to check the rate of loss.
Do you see it seeping on the engine from gaskets? Are you using synthetic, made from natural gas? This last is because my observation in using Pennzoil Platinum high mileage, made from natural gas, in my Jeep, I replace a quart the first 2000 to 2500, then 1500, and then a bit less. Highway miles/speed goes through it faster.
I do have seepage, but no drips or puddles. I believe, just from my observations, the atural gad oil breaks down to gas more the longer it is used. I may be wildly off, but it seems to me that is the case. And this usage increases using dealership "synthetic", which is no doubt the cheapest they can get, so I do my own.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What does the stick say? If you check it regularly amd consistently, you will see when you lose oil.
Yes, you can notice it during a change, but far more important to check the rate of loss.
Do you see it seeping on the engine from gaskets? Are you using synthetic, made from natural gas? This last is because my observation in using Pennzoil Platinum high mileage, made from natural gas, in my Jeep, I replace a quart the first 2000 to 2500, then 1500, and then a bit less. Highway miles/speed goes through it faster.
I do have seepage, but no drips or puddles. I believe, just from my observations, the atural gad oil breaks down to gas more the longer it is used. I may be wildly off, but it seems to me that is the case. And this usage increases using dealership "synthetic", which is no doubt the cheapest they can get, so I do my own.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Yeah forgot to mention I checked the dip just before the change and it was smack dab in the middle bt the 2 dots. Its usually just below top dot after a change.
I used Mobil 1 0w-20 full synthetic "advanced fuel economy" that they sell at costco.

No signs of leakage anywhere.

· Registered
21 Sport
2,540 Posts
Yeah forgot to mention I checked the dip just before the change and it was smack dab in the middle bt the 2 dots. Its usually just below top dot after a change.
I used Mobil 1 0w-20 full synthetic "advanced fuel economy" that they sell at costco.

No signs of leakage anywhere.
sounds normal but you never did say how long between oil changes

· Registered
889 Posts
Something doesn't make sense. You put in 4.4 quarts and get out 3.2 quarts, That means you "lost" 1.2 quarts. Your dipstick should be below lower "dot". Was there oil in the filter? Anyway the dipstick should be the gauge that you use.

Reactions: Erockjl

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Usually change at about 6000 miles, but had to push it to about 6500 this time.

Yup. First thing I did when I changed the oil was check the stick. It was right between the 2 dots. When I transferred the old oil from the pan to the empty new oil bottles I filled 3 whole qts then about another .2 of a fourth quart.

I put 4.5 quarts in and it currently sits just a mm or two below the top dot.

· Registered
2022 Crosstrek Limited
172 Posts
I read here that dealer fill with 5.3 quarts. Preset filling from a drum of Subaru 0-w20. I believe it, my car has been overfilled after both dealer services. They charge Subaru for 6 quarts.
If comfortable with it, try adding 5 quarts at next oil change. Recommended fill capacity is 4.7 quarts for the 2.0 engine.

· Resident Curmudgeon
2020 Crosstrek Limited
1,556 Posts
I read here that dealer fill with 5.3 quarts. Preset filling from a drum of Subaru 0-w20. I believe it, my car has been overfilled after both dealer services. They charge Subaru for 6 quarts.
If comfortable with it, try adding 5 quarts at next oil change. Recommended fill capacity is 4.7 quarts for the 2.0 engine.
4.75 is exactly what I put in my 2020 when I change the oil and filter.
I take my 5 Quart purchase and pour off 8 ounces into an empty 5-quart container then pour the rest into the engine. I use the 'pour-off' bottle to top-off the oil level, if needed. (It hasn't yet)

· Three-pedal evangelist
2020 Premium 6MT
1,824 Posts
I think some of your missing oil is in the used filter you removed.

It doesn't sound like you're consuming any worrisome amount over the 6000 mile interval.
^^^This.^^^

Not to mention some engines inherently burn off a half a quart off the top.

I wouldn't overthink this one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts