Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping to become proud owners of a 2019 Crosstrek, and need to plan to do all we can to keep mice from getting into the vehicle. I saw one post on rodent proofing the air intake horn, and that looks pretty accessible. For my 2006 Prius I found lots of directions after mice moved into the cabin filter while we were backpacking. (Wide open front vents down below lots of stuff to remove including the front wipers, then wire mesh over the openings... Also the hatchback sides for those vents where very light cloth flaps open to let air pressure out when closing the door - wire mesh to enclose them too...)

I've found lots about the Crosstrek engine area and of course know the wire-chewing issue and plan on using a product or two for that. (Hopeless to think one can keep them out of the exterior areas of the car.) But anyone know of pretty good instructions for what all to do to close off access points to the inside areas with hardware mesh type screening for the Crosstrek? Rodent control is 95% exclusion, and 5% elimination.

We seem to have managed to exclude the mousies from getting inside an old Sierra cabin anymore, but they are now moving into the cars! (And yes, of course the mice were there first. But still...)

Any pointers appreciated! Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

One part that may be overlooked is the air exhaust vents generally found under the rear bumper cover just behind the rear wheels... Another might be the trailer hitch mounting holes for the wiring.

PS. Don't forget to document what you did here so others can comment and learn!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum!

One part that may be overlooked is the air exhaust vents generally found under the rear bumper cover just behind the rear wheels... Another might be the trailer hitch mounting holes for the wiring.

PS. Don't forget to document what you did here so others can comment and learn!
Thanks. I shall document and share what I find and what I do, but first gotta buy the car!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Install one of these... 😸

View attachment 297220
That cat! Gnarly eyes. "Daisy Moo" was pretty much on her way out the few times she got to visit the cabin (she would have made 20 years-old this month), but not all cats have that skill. Miss Moo was not a mouser... But this one! I think I'd think twice about getting in the car if I saw that stare.
DaisyAtCabinHill.jpg

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
5,973 Posts
Sorry about Daisy Moo. She seems to be enjoying the real outdoors! Kody's a very big boy and looks intimidating but he'd probably run a mile if he encountered an actual, live mouse! 😸

·
Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
864 Posts
Jinx is an indoor cat. But a few mice get into the house, and she's turned out to be a pretty good mouser. Ate one one day, and then vomited it up all over the place.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I had mice under my hood once. I put some bait traps on top of the strut towers, and for whatever reason, haven't seemed to have the problem again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AstroKats - Kody the Kat! Sounds like a character.
Cutlass - Jinx sounds helpful, but hacking up a "mouse-ball" is something she might want to work on! And yes, The Moo much enjoyed her visit outdoors that day. She'd been an indoor cat for 15 years or so, but took to the pine needles, rocks and dirt like a... well, a mouse in a nest atop a still warm Crosstrek engine! The mice not returning after you placed the bait traps probably took one look at them and said, "Uh oh, they're onto us!" The Strut Towers sound like a good spot for prevention stuff...
Qat - Yes, cat posts are why the internet was invented. Yours looks a bit like Daisy Moo. They must be related!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had mice under the hood on the engine block last winter right after buying my car. They started a nest and chewed on the grey foam insulation. This happened after cleaning and doing what I could to mouse-proof the garage and plugging in a few ultrasonic mouse repellent devices.

I cleaned out the nest and put some capsaicin tape on the foam area (google part number 4019-2317). Tape could also go on wires or where necessary.

Every night I open the hood and put several Bounce fabric softener sheets in the engine; on the block, the wire harnesses, the small hoses and slide one into the air intake vent before the filter - there's a little slit where the cowl fits.

I have put traps in the garage that have caught mice so I know they are in there. So far none have bothered the car.

This would not be a solution for outside. We will see if this remains effective in winter when the mice are looking for warmth again.

·
Registered
2019 Limited - Suba
218 Posts
This is an interesting subject. On this forum is the first time I've heard of mice getting inside of an automobile and I can only guess that it's more common where the Winter is severe. I've never heard of it here in the Southeast, though I have heard of cars being infested with ants.

One thing we used to deter chipmunks from tunneling under our patio was moth balls. I wonder if that might be a solution here? And I wonder if it could be done without making the car smell horrible.

Also, if you don't care for cats, or don't want shed fur all over the inside of your car, a nice king snake might do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe I should clarify that until the mice were getting into a 2002 Honda Civic a month or so ago (and yes, due to a real winter in the Sierras/California, it is a big mouse year), I've not known of them getting inside cars where drivers and passengers hang out. Mouse-proofing my 2006 Prius was blocking their physical paths in, and that "in" only got them to the cabin filter. As for the Crosstrek, we don't even have it until tomorrow - and I do plan on talking to the service people because of course they've responded to people having mouse/rat problems in the engine area and maybe air filters.
I'll update with any further info I get!
Peppermint oil - sprayed or the cotton balls soaking method - along with other fragrance methods (those smelly dryer sheets might work - we use them for leaving the car at trailhead known for huge marmot activity), and possibly even a flashing LED light w/ultra-high audio bleeps might all be good for the engine area, or on top of tires, etc. to protect against the wires damage.
For the Honda which obviously had developed some access points for them getting INTO the car - mouse poops/mouse pee on dash boards, seats... horrible - we did start burning incense inside the car overnight. Woke up to having to scoot tie-die wearing teens out of the vehicle, but greatly reduced the mice.
At any rate, I'm going to guess that any reasonably new CrossTrek doesn't have mice getting fully inside the car. So I really don't want anyone to worry because of this post!! Thanks...
In the meantime, will consider the King Snake, but Rattlers are easier for us to come across... (chuckle)

·
Registered
864 Posts
You could still put bait traps around your garage to try to kill off any that enter. Before they get to the cars.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had a mouse pull bits of the grey under hood insulation and make a tidy nest in the engine air intake box. At the time, I thought this was some kind of EOM engine break-in thing as the car was brand new. It was a long time before I found out where the mouse was able to get all the insulation from, as it was all well concealed.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I had a mouse pull bits of the grey under hood insulation and make a tidy nest in the engine air intake box. At the time, I thought this was some kind of EOM engine break-in thing as the car was brand new. It was a long time before I found out where the mouse was able to get all the insulation from, as it was all well concealed.

Same happened to me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A small (well, "small" in terms of valuable information) update after getting back from a 10 day backpacking trip - but no, we didn't tempt the mice by having our 2019 Crosstrek Hybrid at the trailhead.
A service guy at the dealer said yes, rodents are a problem, and no, Subaru hasn't done anything about it. They recommend using a spray and hitting the tire tops. Just on the inside beyond the wheels you can see an opening to suspension-looking stuff... He said that is their route in, so keep them off the tire tops should help. ("Rodent Sheriff" is the one he recommended, but having a cabin in the mountains we've already been onto "Rataway," which you mix yourself and is more affordable AND without a peppermint fragrance to it, is less likely to confuse bears.
**Apologies for not being vague about brand names (advertising is typically a no no in forums), but I'm not intending any advertising here, only saying what the Subaru guy said. Also, ultimately I don't think repellents are a good long-term answer and that physically blocking mice from being able to get into cabin filters/engine air intake boxes is the proper prevention.
The Subaru guy said that Toyota (part owner of Subaru anyway, I think, and was supposedly in on Sube hopefully getting the plug-in hybrid right) does have "kits" for mouse proofing their cars, but Subaru - not yet.
The large air intake under the hood for the engine air intake box seems a good contender for the quarter inch wire mesh cover solution. For outside at our cabin (no garage) I may take no chances voiding warranties and so forth and make one I fit on that wide black plastic horn looking opening only for non-driving times... For the route from just inside the wheels (you can see suspension stuff through) that the Subaru guy described (sounded like a series of open passages for mice getting into the "cabin filter" - a filter for air before it circulates into the inside of the car), I am going to hopefully get more info and though Subaru doesn't do a "kit," see if there's any of that route I can get to and put in a screen to still allow air but block mice. (1/4 inch "hardware mesh" is like heavy duty screen material - metal and as you cut it and shape it you do get to "enjoy" plenty of pokes and scratches!)
All the engine wiring where the insulation is made from soybean stuff and smells like yummy vanilla to mice and rats leading them to chew them and cause huge repair costs? I guess a spray is our only option. The big car companies managing to get lawsuits tossed out over this very real issue issue since... 2014 or 2015 when the non-petroleum wire insulation started? Anyway, all the $$ and design and inventiveness they put into their expensive auto creations - you would think they could add some metal screening so no critter who can get through an opening larger than 1/4 inch (about the diameter of a pencil) could get into the engine compartment or the air engine-intake and cabin-filter boxes!!
I did see a photo on Facebook where a new Crosstrek owner was showing mouse droppings in the cup-holder, but if that wasn't a case of an open door or window and there is a route for mice to get completely inside a new car, then Subaru sure has a lot of splainin' to do!! (apply a Ricky Ricardo accent to that)
I see an icon to insert a picture, so though I've only glanced at my 6 GBs of backpacking photos and movies to quickly find one good one to send to people here and there, I'll post it here too! (Zippo to do with the Crosstrek, but a groovy view east from the east side of Red Peak Pass in Yosemite.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts