Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background. I had a 2016 Premium 5 speed that I totaled early this week after hitting a deer on the interstate. In November, I replaced the deck with a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX, and the 4 door speakers with the Subaru kicker upgrade kit and harnesses from AutoHarnessWarehouse. I was very pleased with the upgrade and did not feel that I needed a sub. It hit hard enough for my liking.
Today I test drove a 2020 Premium 5 speed, and my god, the 6.5" stock system was total crap. Which is to be expected. CarPlay was nice, but the audio was just terrible. Here are my questions that I can't seem to find an accurate answer for:
  1. Front is 6x9. Is back 6.5", or 6 3/4"? I see 6.5" a lot in posts, but Crutchfield lists 6 3/4".
  2. Will I need to make hole adjustments for the front and back speakers if I do them myself, and 2a, are harnesses available to make them plug and play?
  3. If I do the RF upgrade and they install the fronts, amp and DSP, if I then change the deck and put it my 4200NEX, will it work with the amp/DSP?
As I said, I was happy with my previous 4200NEX / kicker upgrade sound quality, and I would be happy to swap the deck, and 4 door speakers, to get back to that sound quality (and it would probably be much cheaper). It looks like the deck is much easier to change on the 2020. But it is tempting to do the RF upgrade just because I can work it into a loan. But sound is pretty subjective and I don't have a way to here the difference, and I've seen mixed reviews on it. No dealers near me have one with the RF upgrade in stock. I appreciate any insight, and sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. I don't expect to put it another amp, or subwoofer, if I did not do the RF upgrade.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,178 Posts
A little background. I had a 2016 Premium 5 speed that I totaled early this week after hitting a deer on the interstate. In November, I replaced the deck with a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX, and the 4 door speakers with the Subaru kicker upgrade kit and harnesses from AutoHarnessWarehouse. I was very pleased with the upgrade and did not feel that I needed a sub. It hit hard enough for my liking.
Today I test drove a 2020 Premium 5 speed, and my god, the 6.5" stock system was total crap. Which is to be expected. CarPlay was nice, but the audio was just terrible. Here are my questions that I can't seem to find an accurate answer for:
  1. Front is 6x9. Is back 6.5", or 6 3/4"? I see 6.5" a lot in posts, but Crutchfield lists 6 3/4".
  2. Will I need to make hole adjustments for the front and back speakers if I do them myself, and 2a, are harnesses available to make them plug and play?
  3. If I do the RF upgrade and they install the fronts, amp and DSP, if I then change the deck and put it my 4200NEX, will it work with the amp/DSP?
As I said, I was happy with my previous 4200NEX / kicker upgrade sound quality, and I would be happy to swap the deck, and 4 door speakers, to get back to that sound quality (and it would probably be much cheaper). It looks like the deck is much easier to change on the 2020. But it is tempting to do the RF upgrade just because I can work it into a loan. But sound is pretty subjective and I don't have a way to here the difference, and I've seen mixed reviews on it. No dealers near me have one with the RF upgrade in stock. I appreciate any insight, and sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. I don't expect to put it another amp, or subwoofer, if I did not do the RF upgrade.
Yeah, much of it has been covered here, in various threads. Audio upgrade threads pop up here very often.

I upgraded our older car to a Pioneer with CarPlay/AA and it was easy because the stock HU was basically a radio. With the Crosstrek there's much more integration between the HU and the car. Not saying it can't be done but you'd lose some functionality.

We have the HK upgrade but it's bundled with the OEM nav, which we never use. If I were doing it over again, I would go with the RF.

If you want to go custom, I'll leave that up to the experts here but you'll probably get a quicker answer by reading some of the other threads here about speakers and amps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts