Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I installed a dashcam in my 2019 Crosstrek Premium and had to remove the glove box and dash paneling behind it in order to pull the wire from my fuse tap. Upon removing I noticed the sound dampening pad was stained blue. I’m assuming this is coolant? but wanted to see if anyone else had this issue? There is no damage to the windshield seal. And the unique color of the stain makes me assume this. I had the dash apart a year ago and it was perfectly clean so this happened within the last year. I brought it into a Subaru dealer 2 weeks ago and explained the issue and then waited about an hour to be told there was no leak. They never took apart the dash or pressure tested it and just drove it around for 20 minutes. I was upset they never took it apart as I instructed them where the leak was. I attached 2 pictures. Thoughts?
Luggage and bags Musical instrument accessory Bag Rectangle Sleeve
Hood Automotive tire Gear shift Vehicle door Automotive design

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
13,234 Posts
Clearly there was/is a coolant leak. Assuming it's still under warranty, contact SOA. They will send engineers to dealerships to troubleshoot hard to diagnose issues. Again, assuming it's still under warranty, this is something you want to get resolved before the warranty runs out.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,474 Posts
Have you noticed a coolant loss in the overflow reservoir? Most windshield washer fluid is that same color although it is most likely coolant. Take it to another Subaru dealer if you have one in your area.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm puzzled how the liquid got into your cabin filter. The air to the filter is directly from the intake duct below the windshield. How did coolant or any other liquid get into that duct?
The windshield cowling has drains to handle rainwater.

·
Prefers black cats
13,234 Posts
I'm puzzled how the liquid got into your cabin filter. The air to the filter is directly from the intake duct below the windshield. How did coolant or any other liquid get into that duct?
I was curious about that too. Wouldn't it also end up in the glovebox?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The glovebox was always dry. And that puzzles me to. The cowel looks sealed and I got it wet today and no water leaked in. The car wash I take it to also doesn’t use blue soap it’s rainbow… and I compared the windshield wiper fluid to the dried liquid and the windshield fluid is basically clear compared to it. So my only conclusion is coolent. Not sure exactly how and I’m not sure if the position of the heater core would allow it to leak on the filter. Unless it is a pinhole spraying around ?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I imagine that dry coolant would not have a sweet smell. But I wonder if you sprayed a little water on the filter's blue stain if that would reactivate the odor so that you can confirm it is coolant?

·
Prefers black cats
13,234 Posts
A pinhole leak would spray all of the time the engine is running. This is really a weird one!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'm more curious as to why the coolant is blue. And why if the fuse tap is on the left you'd need to remove the glove box. The fuse box is left of the steering wheel and you can buy a kit for every dashcam on the market to plug and play there. Installed my dash cam with minimal removal of anything aside from weather stripping on the left side. Everything was on the drivers side. I've even seen someone solder into the area where the eyesight is. If I was going with a tap, I would have gone up there. Good thing you were over there I guess, cuz somethings odd, but I have personally never seen blue coolant before. Green, yes, but not blue. Is it possible someone messed up and put windshield washer fluid in the coolant res? Or used the wrong coolant? It's gotta be an "asian" vehicle thing, but you'd think most would just use pink to avoid confusion with fluids like washer fluid. Maybe mine is blue and I just haven't noticed. Oh, subaru... you and you tricks. I swear I thought it was yellow tho.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'm more curious as to why the coolant is blue. And why if the fuse tap is on the left you'd need to remove the glove box. The fuse box is left of the steering wheel and you can buy a kit for every dashcam on the market to plug and play there. Installed my dash cam with minimal removal of anything aside from weather stripping on the left side. Everything was on the drivers side. I've even seen someone solder into the area where the eyesight is. If I was going with a tap, I would have gone up there. Good thing you were over there I guess, cuz somethings odd, but I have personally never seen blue coolant before. Green, yes, but not blue. Is it possible someone messed up and put windshield washer fluid in the coolant res? Or used the wrong coolant? It's gotta be an "asian" vehicle thing, but you'd think most would just use pink to avoid confusion with fluids like washer fluid. Maybe mine is blue and I just haven't noticed. Oh, subaru... you and you tricks. I swear I thought it was yellow tho.
Our BMW runs factory "blue" coolant. Manufacturers will tint coolant to differentiate their coolants that will sometimes have differing structure of additives. Our Boxster runs a pinkish/red coolant (Pentosin).
regards

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I dropped the car off with Subaru this morning.

And in regards to the fuse tap yes the fuse box is on the drivers side on the left of the steering wheel. I pulled the cable through the dash to the glove compartment to where I put the BlackVue battery. It only uses power when the ACC fuse is energized when the car is running to charge the battery and the battery pack when off.

The coolant in my car is indeed blue along with the 2 other Subarus we own. It’s 50/50 coolant that is dyed the “asian” manufacturer blue.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Subaru Super Coolant is blue.

Reactions: sas-XV

·
Registered
247 Posts
I dropped the car off with Subaru this morning.

And in regards to the fuse tap yes the fuse box is on the drivers side on the left of the steering wheel. I pulled the cable through the dash to the glove compartment to where I put the BlackVue battery. It only uses power when the ACC fuse is energized when the car is running to charge the battery and the battery pack when off.

The coolant in my car is indeed blue along with the 2 other Subarus we own. It’s 50/50 coolant that is dyed the “asian” manufacturer blue.
Still don't see how coolant can end up in the cabin filter. Is your windshield washer fluid also blue?
I suspect the washer hose has come apart near the intake to the cabin filter. I've attached a diagram of the hose routing under the windshield cowling. Notice there are two Y connectors where a separation could occur. If you were in a cold area and didn't have anti-freeze in your washer fluid that could do it.
This would explain why it's a dry stain. You likely don't use your washer often. If it was coolant I would expect a wet stain.
Vehicle Aircraft Line Parallel Aviation

·
Registered
432 Posts
I see now subaru has their version of coolant like motorcraft is to FORD... of course it's blue... why wouldn't it be... lol

I also ran my battery packs for the dashcam on the drivers side too, only because if I wanted to run an amp in the future for the audio it's going under the passenger seat. Hopefully this can be avoided with an inline style amp behind the dash since I am not running subs.

I agree about the windshield washer being the first thing I'd check, but if their coolant is low that's a pretty good indicator that somethings screwey.

Let us know what they say. Good luck, sorry you had to deal with all this. Probably pretty stressful trying to chase a problem and not finding results, especially when one mechanic ignores what you are requesting and doesn't seem to do a very good job diagnosing an issue. I've dealt with that once in regards to pressure testing. Decided I'd rather buy my own setup than ever trust them again.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Call me crazy but do you run your car through automatic car washes and/or use blue car wash detergent?

My guess is that the drain channel below the windshield is clogged and has allowed car soap into the AC intake/cabin filter.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium
90 Posts
[/QUOTE
I believe that's the main air filter which gets air near the radiator, which could lead into the intake, maybe?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts