Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I don't do this enough to justify a remote start system. Every once in a while I do want to start the car and let it warm up before getting underway while still having it locked.

I found out one way to do it in the Limited is to start the car, lock the doors with the door lock button, manually unlock the drivers door, open the door, manually lock it and then close the door.

However when I do this neither putting my hand in the door handle or using the unlock on the fob will unlock the door. I have to use the emergency key.

Also hitting the lock button on the fob does not lock the doors while the car is running, at least while I am outside of the car but close to it. I just though to try it farther away so the car does not detect that the keys is close.

Has anyone else found a way to do this outside of a remote start system?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Or you could live some place like where I grew up. No garage, but a half a mile long driveway. Nearest neighbors are across the valley. Pretty safe to leave the car running. Though to be fair, you didn't really need to lock it at all.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Being able to lock the car from outside while the engine is running is quite useful in cold climates, especially when trying to get some charge back onto a semi-dead battery after having boosted it.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Being able to lock the car from outside while the engine is running is quite useful in cold climates, especially when trying to get some charge back onto a semi-dead battery after having boosted it.
I thought idling takes a really long time to charge the battery due to all the draw modern car has and how slow alternator runs during idle. If charging battery is what you wanted, get a battery charger.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I thought idling takes a really long time to charge the battery due to all the draw modern car has and how slow alternator runs during idle. If charging battery is what you wanted, get a battery charger.
Not to mention it WILL Take even Longer to charge that battery,as you have to Overcome the Cold temps before Battery will even get close to accepting a charge....

Besides both Engine and heating System will Warm up faster,being Driven.... Save Your Hard earned $$ dollars, not to Mention Lower the Excess Wear and tear on the Engine,And Lower CO2 emissions

Win -win for all concerned:eek:ccasion14:

Troutbum

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
Not to mention it WILL Take even Longer to charge that battery,as you have to Overcome the Cold temps before Battery will even get close to accepting a charge....

Besides both Engine and heating System will Warm up faster,being Driven.... Save Your Hard earned $$ dollars, not to Mention Lower the Excess Wear and tear on the Engine,And Lower CO2 emissions

Win -win for all concerned:eek:ccasion14:

Troutbum
Even if charging via idling didn't have the other issues, I would rather be charging while driving down a nice piece of freeway... after all, isn't that part of the fun of owning an XV? :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sure, a nice long freeway drive at speed is usually best for charging. But when that's not an option, such as a dead battery in the middle of a city at night in a Canadian winter.. well, idling with a low electrical load will get enough charge into it to make it safe to then enter the stop-and-go traffic to get home again. Without first putting some charge in there, there is a real risk of it stalling at the first stop sign, and then having to find a boost again.

Practicalities. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
I would argue that if after the battery has been jumped and it stalls on the first stop sign, that battery may be too far gone for a simple idle car charge...

·
Registered
470 Posts
I would argue that if after the battery has been jumped and it stalls on the first stop sign, that battery may be too far gone for a simple idle car charge...
If the car is running and then dies, I'd be wondering about something other than the battery. Like the alternator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wondering if anyone does have a workaround for this? There are different reasons for this to be useful. As for me, I take my dogs for rides all the times. Now that the weather is getting warmer, if I jump out of the car (even just for a few minutes) to run in post office or grab some takeout, I'd like to leave the car running with the A/C. As it stands now with this car, I just don't bring them outside of winter and spring. They miss their rides.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,162 Posts
Put the spare key on the dog's collar.
LOL, then if someone breaks the window they have the key as well, and some new pets... 😸

@kevcor620, would what the OP describes not work for you?

·
Registered
5 Posts
LOL, then if someone breaks the window they have the key as well, and some new pets... 😸

@kevcor620, would what the OP describes not work for you?
I tried it. The four doors stay locked with the car running, but the back hatch remains unlocked. I'd prefer a way for all doors to be secure if there is a way.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,162 Posts
I tried it. The four doors stay locked with the car running, but the back hatch remains unlocked. I'd prefer a way for all doors to be secure if there is a way.
Are you sure? I jumped out of the car once to get something out of the back with the engine still running and could open it (I think I left the fob on the passenger seat). Have you tested it without having the fob in your pocket?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts