Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I have a '15 XV Crosstrek and the wife has a '13 Impreza with impressively little miles on it. We both love our cars, but the wife wishes her car had the clearance of the Crosstrek.

I am looking into lifts for the Impreza, but I am not too familiar with what all I will need to get it 2-3" taller that is required to make her happy to traverse the snow covered wonderland of northern MI.

Also, does anyone know what the true difference is between the two models of suspension to get the Crosstrek taller? Would it be possible to get something like the Primitive Racing lift kit for the Crosstrek and then move the discarded Crosstrek parts to the Impreza? Being that the cars are so similar outside of the suspension I feel it SHOULD be possible, but upgrading suspensions is close to the limits my automotive knowledge.

Thanks gang

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
An impreza should have the same suspension as the crosstrex. The only real big differences between the two is the springs are taller on the XV and the XV has a little more structural features that can handle more "offroad" places. It would be a direct bolt in from crosstrex to impreza. If you are planning on lifting your XV with the primitive racing 2" lift there will be more parts you are going to need. The kit comes with springs, rear subframe spacers, brake line extenders, and front/rear strut top hats. You will have to source front and rear struts for your XV to make it happen. It would look pretty good if you can make it happen.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hmmm, if the springs were just taller on the Crosstreks coilovers (without the entire shock being different) wouldn't that put the shock near the top of it's stroke?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting... So to lift the Impreza to Crosstrek height by replacing just the taller spring then? Will I have to still get a rear alignment kit to fix the geometry change or will it be close enough as is?

I am not quite tracking with the sourcing of new struts for the Crosstrek - couldn't I just use the current struts that are on the cars now? What azxtrek asked was interesting, if they are the same struts on both how much spring can they take?

·
Banned
553 Posts
My 2 cents worth: these cars are not really designed to be lifted, and I suspect that the suspensions between the 2 are not identical other than the ground clearance. How much would it cost you to do the lift, the alignment, the new wheels/tires so it doesn't look funny? And if you are going to change to a different tire size, you have to change the final drive ratio (regear) to keep the speedometer/odometer accurate and the engine powerband the same. Remember that the final drive ratio is different between the XV and the Impreza. If the Impreza has "impressively little miles" on it, then it also has an impressively high resale value. Sell it and buy something that fits your needs out of the box. Lifting Jeeps and other body-over-frame trucks is much easier than with a unibody car, and there is a much bigger market for it. It seems like with the Impreza, you're getting into uncharted waters and will be mostly on your own. So you may need to fabricate various things to make it work. That also means extended downtime for the Impreza, this will not be a weekend job.

Save yourself the headache, sell the Impreza, and buy a new XV.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Interesting... So to lift the Impreza to Crosstrek height by replacing just the taller spring then? Will I have to still get a rear alignment kit to fix the geometry change or will it be close enough as is?

I am not quite tracking with the sourcing of new struts for the Crosstrek - couldn't I just use the current struts that are on the cars now? What azxtrek asked was interesting, if they are the same struts on both how much spring can they take?
First off, you could just replace the springs if you want. Don't know what I was thinking there. It would just be faster to take the whole assembly off the XV and transfer it over to the impreza. If you do it that way, you will still have to disassemble the impreza struts down so you can replace it with the king springs and the top hats that primitive racing gives you. In either case you will need a full 4 wheel alignment on both impreza and XV.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
The only other thing I would check before doing this swap is to check the part numbers for a drive shaft from an impreza to crosstrex. They might be slightly different lengths. Highly doubt they are much different, but would be good to check anyway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, thanks both of you. That is a good point to look at both product manuals to see how closely they actually are before I muck with them.

I'll do a bit of research before delving into something like this. The Impreza is really a great car, but so would a new Crosstrek :icon_lol:

·
Registered
164 Posts
someone on this forum already tried just swapping xv shocks and springs and didn't work out to well. best bet would to get up to one inch spacers or just trade in the impreza for a crosstrek. my two cents

1 - 9 of 9 Posts