Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did something dumb and left both map lights on in my car (sad - just bought it a few weeks ago). This was on Sunday evening. I didn't need to drive anywhere on Monday or Tuesday morning; and I came back to my car at around 5:30pm on Tuesday to a drained battery - car wouldn't start. Luckily a neighbor was around and I was able to jump start the car. We drove it for around 30 minutes and parked it again

I mean this is 100% my own fault.

1. Did I just ruin my battery? Both map lights (incandescent) were left on for around 48 hours. Should I be looking to replace that battery sooner (e.g. in a year) rather than the usual 3-4 years?
2. Many other brands would likely turn off interior lighting after a certain period (e.g. 30 minutes) of the car being locked; surely this is a feature that Subaru would have thought to include?

Thankfully batteries aren't incredibly expensive but it still sucks a lil.

·
Registered
2020 premium on Meths
338 Posts
battery will be fine. lead acid batteries are fairly forgiving.

I would suggest putting it on a trickle charger for a day or a couple nights to fully charge it. Subi (along with most manufacturers now) uses a “smart” charging system to help with fuel economy unfortunately that type of system quits charging when it thinks the battery is charged enough then charges it again when it thinks it’s needed. so the problem is the battery may or may not be fully charged when it’s done charging. throwing it on a trickle charger will just insure it’s been fully charged at least once since being drained.

there’s been some other threads on here about the shut off feature. it’s supposed to have it but others have reported the same as you.

I haven’t seen any info on the actual requirements for it to work (or not to) as far as the amount of amp draw on the battery, if doors need or be locked/closed, ignition on/off, some light switch in the door position, etc so it’s hard to say what the circumstances are as to why it doesn’t seem to work sometimes for some owners? what the trifecta is?

example if the user has replaced the bulbs with LEDs do the LEDs not cause enough parasitic loss to trigger the auto shut off? who knows?

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,318 Posts
Everyone has done that at one time or another so don't beat yourself up.

Your Crosstrek does have a battery drain prevention feature but it only activates when a door or tailgate is ajar. See "Battery Drainage Prevention Function" in your owners manual.

I seriously doubt you have ruined your battery but you will shorten its life IF you don't have the battery fully charged. As EvilMonkey states above the smart alternator will not fully charge the battery. Perhaps your dealer's service department will charge it as a courtesy since you just bought the car there. A better idea is to purchase a battery tender which are as cheap as $25 at Walmart. Very simple to use and if you use it periodically to keep your battery fully charged your battery will last longer than "the usual 3-4 years".

Replacing all your interior incandescent light bulbs with LED bulbs will lessen battery drain if you ever accidentally leave a light on again.

·
Registered
195 Posts
It will probably be fine. You might consider down the line replacing the original factory battery(too small, not enough CCA) with an AGM type battery(NAPA, Odyssey, or the like) which will be vastly better in every way.
regards

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,318 Posts
+1 on the AGM when it comes time to replace.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your Crosstrek does have a battery drain prevention feature but it only activates when a door or tailgate is ajar. See "Battery Drainage Prevention Function" in your owners manual.
Oh that's interesting. I suppose Subaru thinks that if you've depressed the map light LEDs that you're actually sitting in the car. It would be nice if the same feature applied to the lighting if the door was locked via the key fob (and hence the security system is also armed).

Would definitely look into map light LEDs from today. Hopefully it's not too hard to replace, lots of guides on this forum at least.

·
Registered
894 Posts
It's heat that shortens battery life. The farther north you live the longer it lasts.
"Where you live affects your car battery
Heat facilitates the chemical reaction car batteries use to generate electricity, but it also increases the rate of battery degradation. In cooler northern climates, a battery may last five years or longer, but in hot southern locales, a car battery will typically last approximately three years."

·
Registered
2021 Outdoor, Dark Blue Pearl
15 Posts
Oh that's interesting. I suppose Subaru thinks that if you've depressed the map light LEDs that you're actually sitting in the car. It would be nice if the same feature applied to the lighting if the door was locked via the key fob (and hence the security system is also armed).

Would definitely look into map light LEDs from today. Hopefully it's not too hard to replace, lots of guides on this forum at least.
Yup, pretty easy replacement. Pull fuse 26 before you put in the interior LEDs (or disconnect battery), or you will run a good risk of blowing it. It happened to me on my second one of the four.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
And done! Replaced all three. Well worth the investment; lights are brighter and hopefully next time I leave the bulbs on I'll come back to a car that hopefully still turns on!

Removing the dome light cover was surprisingly harder than the map lights; those covers came right off. The dome light takes a bit of force and having a trim tool helps a ton. I've also gone ahead and added some LED vanity light bulbs and I'm in the process of doing the cargo light mod listed on this forum with the LED strip from Diode Dynamics; and I'm quite pleased with how bright the interior is now!

Yup, pretty easy replacement. Pull fuse 26 before you put in the interior LEDs (or disconnect battery), or you will run a good risk of blowing it. It happened to me on my second one of the four.
For context this is the fuse labeled BACK UP? I didn't end up pulling the fuse. I'm definitely curious how the fuse popped if the switch is off; I just turned off both map & dome and replaced the bulbs and turned them back on.

·
Registered
2021 Outdoor, Dark Blue Pearl
15 Posts
And done! Replaced all three. Well worth the investment; lights are brighter and hopefully next time I leave the bulbs on I'll come back to a car that hopefully still turns on!

Removing the dome light cover was surprisingly harder than the map lights; those covers came right off. The dome light takes a bit of force and having a trim tool helps a ton. I've also gone ahead and added some LED vanity light bulbs and I'm in the process of doing the cargo light mod listed on this forum with the LED strip from Diode Dynamics; and I'm quite pleased with how bright the interior is now!

For context this is the fuse labeled BACK UP? I didn't end up pulling the fuse. I'm definitely curious how the fuse popped if the switch is off; I just turned off both map & dome and replaced the bulbs and turned them back on.
Yup, that's the one, labelled 'backup' for some strange reason. Turning the switch off is probably the simplest and most "elegant" solution to avoid the blown fuse :) I think I got excited in the process after trying and liking the first one so much; I must not have realized the second map light was on, which led to it blowing the fuse on install. Fuses are pretty darn cheap, so no biggee. I used Sylvania Zevo LEDs from my local auto store vs the Subarus -- definitely a nicer colour of light and brighter overall than the originals. I find that between the upgraded cargo light and the hatch door mounted LED lights in mine, the back is bright enough (the hatch door ones maybe were an add for some 21's?).

Trim removal tools have become my new best friend. Ordered some Kickers for the front doors, so will be using them again next week when the speakers get here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts