Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
13,711 Posts
Why do the Crosstrek’s in Canada have a front camera and the ones in the United States don’t?
Who knows?

There are a lot of small, niggling differences, like the heated steering wheel only in Canada. Weird...

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,124 Posts
Why do the Crosstrek’s in Canada have a front camera and the ones in the United States don’t?
That's only for the Outdoor models. Not too sure why it's available here but not in the US. I kinda wish they offered a 360-degree camera because they have that in Japan, or at least give the front cam for Limited trims as well.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
maybe it's not legal?
If that's the case why is it an option for other companies? Mazda, Hyundai, Kia, Acura, and many other brands I could list have them. I think it's just a matter of demand and Subaru offering more features to compete with other companies in the market. The front cam paved the way for a 360 option in the near future because it's offered on the Soltera.

·
Registered
21 Sport
1,511 Posts
If that's the case why is it an option for other companies? Mazda, Hyundai, Kia, Acura, and many other brands I could list have them. I think it's just a matter of demand and Subaru offering more features to compete with other companies in the market. The front cam paved the way for a 360 option in the near future because it's offered on the Soltera.
i didn't know that. i drive cheap cars so i'm the last to know

·
Registered
Subaru XV 2021 2.0i-S CVT (Aust)
364 Posts
What are you trying to upgrade? Your fog lights? If so, it won't affect the steering responsive headlights. However, if you're trying to upgrade the main light which houses the low & high beam then I don't think it's possible. The stock lights are already good enough and provide great lighting.
My model has OEM LED headlights and my OEM fog lights are also a sealed unit LED. Maybe he’s looking to upgrade to laser beams? That would be the next level I think.

·
Registered
2003 Outback Limited
18 Posts
When you have HBA activated the Eyesight camera will look to see if the high beams are needed based on lighting conditions. It'll activate if it's too dark and when high beams are needed, and stay on until you encounter another car, reach a well-lit area, or come to a complete stop. If it sees oncoming traffic or a car's taillights it'll turn off the high beams until the vehicle has cleared its path.
Thanks Arthur! I missed that section of the owners manual. I will go back a reread that HBA section. 21 limited Crosstrek. I can confirm the factory head light system is best I have owned.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
My model has OEM LED headlights and my OEM fog lights are also a sealed unit LED. Maybe he’s looking to upgrade to laser beams? That would be the next level I think.
You can't upgrade them though. It's not possible unless you put in a brand new headlight assembly, and at that point, you lose your steering responsive headlights.

·
Prefers black cats
13,711 Posts
I think that was sarcasm. Laser beams? 😸

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Oh, lol. I mean, they have laser beam headlights on European spec German brands like Mercedes Benz, Audi, VW, BMW, etc. I believe they're gonna be approved in the US in the near future.

·
Prefers black cats
13,711 Posts
Very cool, I thought you were joking. Or that it was a new feature to take out the guy driving 50 MPH in the fast lane...

• Haha
Reactions: Arthur

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I'm sure you're aware that US road laws are very outdated compared to Europe which is why we haven't seen some of the technology they had there here yet. It'll arrive here some day once the federal government does their jobs, slowly and painfully...

·
Registered
Subaru XV 2021 2.0i-S CVT (Aust)
364 Posts
Oh, lol. I mean, they have laser beam headlights on European spec German brands like Mercedes Benz, Audi, VW, BMW, etc. I believe they're gonna be approved in the US in the near future.
Yeah it was sarcasm but you learn sometimes every day. Lol. But are those German lights really laser? Or more of a focused LED with a cool name? Like ‘turbo’ wash on your washing machine. There is no turbo involved.

·
Prefers black cats
13,711 Posts
Yeah it was sarcasm but you learn sometimes every day. Lol. But are those German lights really laser? Or more of a focused LED with a cool name? Like ‘turbo’ wash on your washing machine. There is no turbo involved.
LOL, marketing folks like to use terms like "laser" (I live with a Director of Marketing). They "spell" it incorrectly, though. It's an acronym so it should be LASER or L.A.S.E.R. 😸

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I know for VW and Audi use individual LED reflectors in order to have "laser" lights. Some higher-end Audi products use laser lights because the E-Tron has them I believe. I'm not quite sure about BMW and Mercedes... I feel like they might have a similar setup like Audi. I know they're illegal in the US but that's changing as we speak. They're legal in Canada because some Mercedes Benz models have the feature, same with Audi and BMW.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts