Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forums. I have a 2021 Crosstrek Limited with LED headlights and want to upgrade but not blind anyone. Leaning towards Diode Dynamics that sells the H11
low beam bulbs. Be advised I already have the SS3 yellow fog lights. Will this affect the steering responsive function for the headlights/fog lights? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,134 Posts
What are you trying to upgrade? Your fog lights? If so, it won't affect the steering responsive headlights. However, if you're trying to upgrade the main light which houses the low & high beam then I don't think it's possible. The stock lights are already good enough and provide great lighting.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
13,753 Posts
I am new to the forums. I have a 2021 Crosstrek Limited with LED headlights and want to upgrade but not blind anyone. Leaning towards Diode Dynamics that sells the H11
low beam bulbs. Be advised I already have the SS3 yellow fog lights. Will this affect the steering responsive function for the headlights/fog lights? Thanks for any advice.
Huh? You're looking to upgrade the factory LEDs? Why?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Probably because the fog lights might have a higher output compared to stock light and they're also yellow. So the colour may affect things as well. They are lower to the ground compared to the main lights so keep that in mind.

·
Prefers black cats
13,753 Posts
There are comments, maybe on this site that says the Subaru LED headlights aren’t that great.
Well, my experience has been that they are great. Only an opinion of one person, of course, but my concern is that people are encouraged to "upgrade" and end up dazzling everyone else... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
There are comments, maybe on this site that says the Subaru LED headlights aren’t that great.
I disagree but we agree to disagree. Subaru's LEDs probably offer one of the best headlights in the market and it's even proven by IIHS. For what it's worth, take advantage of high beam assist because it'll use the high beams when you don't think you should. I have the feature on and it works great.

If you end up changing your main lights you'll lose your streering responsive lights because the motor is built into the housing itself and both high & low are in them as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, my experience has been that they are great. Only an opinion of one person, of course, but my concern is that people are encouraged to "upgrade" and end up dazzling everyone else... :rolleyes:
I disagree but we agree to disagree. Subaru's LEDs probably offer one of the best headlights in the market and it's even proven by IIHS. For what it's worth, take advantage of high beam assist because it'll use the high beams when you don't think you should. I have the feature on and it works great.

If you end up changing your main lights you'll lose your streering responsive lights because the motor is built into the housing itself and both high & low are in them as well.
I am not changing the lights just the bulb. Unless it’s different on 21 Crosstrek’s you take the bulb out and replace it with the new LED bulb.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
You do. Make sure the headlights are in the auto position and put the stock in the high beam position. A green high beam icon with an "A" inside of it lets you know HBA is activated.

·
Prefers black cats
13,753 Posts
That's a generalization. There were some model years, even a few months within a model year, where they got slightly lower scores. However, you'll probably just make life miserable for other road users...

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
When you have HBA activated the Eyesight camera will look to see if the high beams are needed based on lighting conditions. It'll activate if it's too dark and when high beams are needed, and stay on until you encounter another car, reach a well-lit area, or come to a complete stop. If it sees oncoming traffic or a car's taillights it'll turn off the high beams until the vehicle has cleared its path.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When you have HBA activated the Eyesight camera will look to see if the high beams are needed based on lighting conditions. It'll activate if it's too dark and when high beams are needed, and stay on until you encounter another car, reach a well-lit area, or come to a complete stop. If it sees oncoming traffic or a car's taillights it'll turn off the high beams until the vehicle has cleared its path.
Thanks again for the info. Have to read the manual more. And you saved me money by not buying aftermarket.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Thanks again for the info. Have to read the manual more. And you saved me money by not buying aftermarket.
No problem! The most I'd do is touch the fog lights but the stock fog lights for 2020+ are LEDs compared to the halogen fog lights for 2018-2019 models.

I've attached a video explaining HBA from Subaru.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts