Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2021 ISM Crosstrek Ltd
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my '21 Crosstrek Ltd six months ago I prepared to replace all incandescent lamps with LEDs, like I'd done to all my Subys since I lost a battery from accidentally leaving a map light on years ago. Surprise! There were no incandescents. All interior lamps and the plate lamps are LEDs. I was confused but happy.

I forgot about it. Then a few days back I joined this forum and looked at information about my new Trek... and found a couple of odd differences. One was that LED interior lamps don't appear to be standard on the '21s. Looking in my OM I find they're listed as regular interior lamps and not LEDs.

Another difference is the fog lamps, which although LED are noting like the ones pictured in a for sale thread by tpolatian for LED fogs off his '21 (my "permissions" are insufficient to link it). My LED fog lamps look like the pic below. It can't be looked into, it just reflects the outside like a mirror. They make a bright narrow band of light, unlike any Suby fog light i've owned.

Anyone with similar experience?
915E6233-DDC4-4D0A-A11B-95F34264851B_1_201_a.jpeg

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
4,403 Posts
Yep, the interior LEDs are an added accessory, even at the Limited trim level ... I think it's an extra hundred bucks or so, which is crazy. And what's crazier is that for that price, they don't even give you an LED for the tiny light in the cargo area. :cautious:

And for what it's worth, the OEM fog lights on my Limited are the same as yours.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
11,113 Posts
And what's crazier is that for that price, they don't even give you an LED for the tiny light in the cargo area. :cautious:
Yeah that one got me too. I'm shocked they're still doing that three years later... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2021 ISM Crosstrek Ltd
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone for the feedback

Looking at my window sticker I see it now... the $1,265 :oops: Popular Package #4. Not complaining though. Love the car.

As for that abominable OEM trunk light... no LED I've ever found made them usable. I fixed it with a motion/light sensing LED light bar that is on the underside of the "trunk" curtain bar. No rational answer satisfies the question of "Why, Subaru? Why?."

Traded my '19 Impreza Ltd for the Crosstrek's 2.5 motor. I was just glad they had exactly what I wanted and took it home that day, never really looking at the sticker until today, six months later. This is a far more enjoyable car than I'd imagined... and I'd enjoyed the Imp for two years (well, all but the power after all the turbo cars).

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Sport, Plasma Yellow Pearl
120 Posts
As for that abominable OEM trunk light... no LED I've ever found made them usable.
There is nothing one can do to redeem that light.

I ended up replacing the trunk light with two things:

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Sport, Sunshine Orange
140 Posts
When I got my '21 Crosstrek Ltd six months ago I prepared to replace all incandescent lamps with LEDs, like I'd done to all my Subys since I lost a battery from accidentally leaving a map light on years ago. Surprise! There were no incandescents. All interior lamps and the plate lamps are LEDs. I was confused but happy.

I forgot about it. Then a few days back I joined this forum and looked at information about my new Trek... and found a couple of odd differences. One was that LED interior lamps don't appear to be standard on the '21s. Looking in my OM I find they're listed as regular interior lamps and not LEDs.

Another difference is the fog lamps, which although LED are noting like the ones pictured in a for sale thread by tpolatian for LED fogs off his '21 (my "permissions" are insufficient to link it). My LED fog lamps look like the pic below. It can't be looked into, it just reflects the outside like a mirror. They make a bright narrow band of light, unlike any Suby fog light i've owned.

Anyone with similar experience?
View attachment 305044
The LED Foglights in the OP’s first post were introduced in 2020. The 2020 Impreza, Crosstrek and WRX all got upgraded to the same LED fog lights (certain trims).

AFAIK, LED interior lights were always an upgrade, and were never standard in the Crosstrek. As previously discussed, those wanting to upgrade the interior lights should probably go the third party route as they are far less expensive and are brighter; especially in the trunk. I personally went the Diode Dynamics FlexLight route.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts