Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
1,471 Posts
Yes. The latter fits OEM halogen fogs. It does provide a significant improvement with respect to stock, but it's limited by the original optics. The SS3s provide a significantly higher output. To each their own though - I have DD's fog LED bulbs only and find them sufficient.
I did yellow sports, no backlight. Think thats going to be the most common. Completely plug n play.
If you're removing the lamp assembly, you'll need to pull back the undertray and pull off the front trim. It's not difficult. Just use a plastic trim tool.
Thanks all! Undertray was the word I was looking for, LOL! It doesn't seem like I really need to pull back the front trim, though it would probably make the job easier.

·
Registered
2015 XV Crosstrek Premium CVT, 2019 Impreza Sport MT, 2001 Forester S 4EAT, 2013 Outback Premium CVT
256 Posts
I have installed both the SS3 fogs and just the bulb in the OEM assembly. Both are a lot better than OEM but the SS3's are really well built and the pattern is much better for fog. Just doing the bulbs will take only a few minutes each side and they are less expensive. I don't think you can go wrong either way but if time and money are not a concern, the SS3's

When I installed the SS3's, I guess I could have done it without removing the bezel in the front but I also wanted to do a little extra securing of the assembly. I used a few wire ties in the spots where the assembly and with that off it was easier. Not hard to remove and reinstall.

"R.O.U.S."?

The arrows in the pic here show where the bracket really only bolts on the one side and sort of slips into an upper and lower slot on the other. The bracket has holes in it so I used a wire tie on them to prevent any movement. Might not be 100% necessary but I wanted to minimize any vibration.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

·
Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
16,210 Posts
Had to Google that. To save everyone some time:

Rodents of Unusual Size

Certainly applies to the deer around here, although they're not actually rodents...

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
1,471 Posts
I have a set of plastic spudgers. You can easily damage plastic trim with metal tools...
I emailed DD about this. Apparently they sell these too:

·
Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
16,210 Posts
I emailed DD about this. Apparently they sell these too:

That looks like a nice set and some that I don't have. And for only $10, it would definitely be worth it. Again, using metal tools like screwdrivers on plastic trim pieces is a really bad idea.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
1,471 Posts
That looks like a nice set and some that I don't have. And for only $10, it would definitely be worth it. Again, using metal tools like screwdrivers on plastic trim pieces is a really bad idea.
Yep. $10 is small price to pay for not destroying visible plastic trim on the car which is probably a few hundred $$ to replace.

Reactions: AstroKats

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
1,471 Posts
OK folks! I took the plunge and ordered the Diode Dynamics SS3 fog lights Sport version in yellow. There is a 15% off sale that lasts until midnight tonight CST (10pm EDT). So I couldn't resist. I've been vacillating between the Sport and Pro versions and went with the Sport. Doing a search, the Pro seems like overkill and I don't want to be a cop magnet, have oncoming drivers flash me in anger not to mention possibly melt the trim around the lights! I found this older thread here comparing the stock fog lights with the Pro version which is crazy bright:

Reactions: VTrek

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Greetings, I just took delivery on a new ‘22 Sport model, can someone provide knowledge on what plug connector this model has? I’d like to do the install once, not having to open the fender under cover just to verify the connector prior to ordering. Thanks!

Automotive lighting Watch Font Auto part Circle

·
Registered
2015 XV Crosstrek Premium CVT, 2019 Impreza Sport MT, 2001 Forester S 4EAT, 2013 Outback Premium CVT
256 Posts
Greetings, I just took delivery on a new ‘22 Sport model, can someone provide knowledge on what plug connector this model has? I’d like to do the install once, not having to open the fender under cover just to verify the connector prior to ordering. Thanks!
I'm going to assume you have fogs and you are just wanting to upgrade. I think the sport comes with them but I'm not sure.

I don't have a 2022 but those bulbs have very different shaped capsules (glass) the H11 you can see in your pic. The 5202 is round and if there is no hood in the lens you can tell just by looking. This is from my 2015. Even if it has a bulb hood, you can usually see it if you look from the side.

Automotive lighting Yellow Font Motor vehicle Rectangle

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
1,471 Posts
I'm going to assume you have fogs and you are just wanting to upgrade. I think the sport comes with them but I'm not sure.
Yes. All trim lines except the base model come with fog lights.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
1,471 Posts
OK folks! I took the plunge and ordered the Diode Dynamics SS3 fog lights Sport version in yellow. There is a 15% off sale that lasts until midnight tonight CST (10pm EDT). So I couldn't resist. I've been vacillating between the Sport and Pro versions and went with the Sport. Doing a search, the Pro seems like overkill and I don't want to be a cop magnet, have oncoming drivers flash me in anger not to mention possibly melt the trim around the lights! I found this older thread here comparing the stock fog lights with the Pro version which is crazy bright:

Well I got my DD SS3 Sport fog lights installed. I got them in yellow. And what a huge difference! I just had to take a drive that evening to test them out. Damn, those things are AWESOME! They sure have some nice spread of light, yet when I got out of the car and looked into them, they are not blinding, so I should be able to keep them on all the time without problems.

Thanks to all of you on this forum who tipped me on this product!

Reactions: peaty

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well I got my DD SS3 Sport fog lights installed. I got them in yellow. And what a huge difference! I just had to take a drive that evening to test them out. Damn, those things are AWESOME! They sure have some nice spread of light, yet when I got out of the car and looked into them, they are not blinding, so I should be able to keep them on all the time without problems.

Thanks to all of you on this forum who tipped me on this product!
Did you have any issues with the front trim pieces fitting correctly? I just installed these tonight and the fog light trim pieces won't fully seat in because they seem to hit the new lights.

Seems to be a common issue, so not sure what some people are doing differently where there's no fitment issues....

Hey all,

First post here - picked up the trek a week ago.

Have just installed DD SS3 Foglights. Install was pretty easy, brackets lined up fine and everything. Only issue was putting the plastic front bumper trim piece back on - for the life of me I cannot get all the clips sitting in flush or properly.

I know that the plastic piece around the foglights is a little different on the Sport/Outdoor models so just wondering if anyone else has run into this issue or is it just me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
1,471 Posts
Did you have any issues with the front trim pieces fitting correctly? I just installed these tonight and the fog light trim pieces won't fully seat in because they seem to hit the new lights.

Seems to be a common issue, so not sure what some people are doing differently where there's no fitment issues....
I didn't have any of these issues. My Crosstrek is a 2020 Premium.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts