Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
People who are interested in Crosstreks & joining the forum probably think we are crazy with how much this comes up.
Good point, but I think it’s the opposite. New members don’t realise there is a lot of repeated debate, and re-ask the old nuggets. Oil and headlights as Astro said. But to be fair to the Discussion Starter I think he (Sorry assuming he) was wanting to document the excercise which is always good for the forum. I said my 20 cents worth already (which is only 15 cents worth in the US with the exchange rate). Although I can buy a LOT of 20 cents worth of opinion with the Ruble exchange rate currently but I suspect no one is listening.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
5,336 Posts
Deleted a few of the off-topic posts. As @kuroitakushii said, this thread was started to document a Crosstrek mod, which is exactly what the forum is here for. It's not inappropriate to leave a comment noting that the mod isn't street legal ... but then you gotta let it go.

And this is new information -- I haven't seen this specific project described here before. OTOH, there are already lots of threads here hijacked by people kibitzing about the topic of duplicate threads. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Deleted a few of the off-topic posts. As @kuroitakushii said, this thread was started to document a Crosstrek mod, which is exactly what the forum is here for. It's not inappropriate to leave a comment noting that the mod isn't street legal ... but then you gotta let it go.

And this is new information -- I haven't seen this specific project described here before. OTOH, there are already lots of threads here hijacked by people kibitzing about the topic of duplicate threads. :rolleyes:
I ordered my parts, when the goods get here I will document the install and amend the original post that way people don’t have to dig till page 3 or 4.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Premium w/Manual Transmission
21 Posts
Hey Folks,

I have decided to take the plunge, I’m going to be doing the conversion.

i have the harness to make it all work from FoxBeam lighting.

I’m looking at parts catalog and there are two different part numbers for 2020-2022 Led housings.

I’m not sure which is the correct one, one is cheaper than the other.

Right- 84002FL601
Left - 84002FL611

And

Right- 84913FL461
Left- 84913FL471

If anyone knows which are the right ones to buy please let me know.

I will use this thread to document the install. View attachment 310141
Soooooo... How'd it go?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey Folks,

I have decided to take the plunge, I’m going to be doing the conversion.

i have the harness to make it all work from FoxBeam lighting.

I’m looking at parts catalog and there are two different part numbers for 2020-2022 Led housings.

I’m not sure which is the correct one, one is cheaper than the other.

Right- 84002FL601
Left - 84002FL611

And

Right- 84913FL461
Left- 84913FL471

If anyone knows which are the right ones to buy please let me know.

I will use this thread to document the install. View attachment 310141
Please do not change to a different type of bulb weather LED hid or whatever from the bulb type included on your car. The entire headlight assembly reflectors lens everything is designed to work with that specific bulbs beam pattern to provide the top cut off line so you don't blind other drivers and other factors. Changing the lamp type in the existing Factory headlight modules can cause all kinds of beam pattern problems so you could actually have brighter headlights but less light focused where it needs to be on the road and more blinding drivers coming towards you even though your high beams are non. Could even result in tickets if somebody reports it. I've done an awful lot of research on this and it's a very bad plan. Of course the providers of the bulbs and harness it you're thinking of using will say no problem it'll work perfectly well they want you to buy their stuff and they don't really care if your headlight beam pattern is off afterwards.

·
Registered
2019 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
797 Posts
Please do not change to a different type of bulb weather LED hid or whatever from the bulb type included on your car. The entire headlight assembly reflectors lens everything is designed to work with that specific bulbs beam pattern to provide the top cut off line so you don't blind other drivers and other factors. Changing the lamp type in the existing Factory headlight modules can cause all kinds of beam pattern problems so you could actually have brighter headlights but less light focused where it needs to be on the road and more blinding drivers coming towards you even though your high beams are non. Could even result in tickets if somebody reports it. I've done an awful lot of research on this and it's a very bad plan. Of course the providers of the bulbs and harness it you're thinking of using will say no problem it'll work perfectly well they want you to buy their stuff and they don't really care if your headlight beam pattern is off afterwards.
He's not buying a cheap HID kit. As it is well described in the previous posts, the OP is doing a proper headlight retrofit, changing the entire light assembly, and there are no "bulbs" involved.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Waiting for the headlight assembly’s to show up.
Can you give your costs on all this? I read in a previous LED headlight thread it’s pretty expensive. As is everything OEM.

And as I understand it, you’re not gonna hook up the ECU or SRH or auto levelling systems either so will that mean the adjuster motors in the headlight units are redundant?

·
Registered
578 Posts
He's not buying a cheap HID kit. As it is well described in the previous posts, the OP is doing a proper headlight retrofit, changing the entire light assembly, and there are no "bulbs" involved.
As is well described in the previous posts, it is certainly not a proper headlight retrofit. No SRH or auto levelling or ECU control. The car will not know it’s got LEDs from what I can see. But yeah it is replacing the headlight assembly only. With the advanced safety features effectively being a screwdriver to ‘aim it right’. Happy to be corrected on any of that but that is how I read it.

·
Registered
2019 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
797 Posts
As is well described in the previous posts, it is certainly not a proper headlight retrofit.. Happy to be corrected on any of that but that is how I read it.
You are right. By "proper" I meant with the appropriate optics, and a legal beam pattern with no glare. Auto-leveling isn't a mandatory requirement in North America, and there has been a generation of HID/LED OEM equipped cars without it. So from the perspective of having the appropriate headlight assembly, designed for LEDs (as opposed to just changing "bulbs" and ending up with horrendous beam patterns as well as glare), I still think it's a proper retrofit (as long as they are aimed properly). As far as the ECU knowing or not.. I don't think it cares.

Don't get me started though on HIDs/LEDs shoved in reflector headlamps, or about our prehistorical laws which still fail to require headlamp washers as they do in Europe.. sigh.

I have a 2018 with LED projector headlights, and they are terrible. Be prepared to be dissapointed.
Why so? I agree they aren't the brightest or the best, but they do have an extremely uniform and wide illumination. The lack of a bright foreground, while making them appear weak, is actually positive - because it allows you to see further down the road. Ideally, a headlamp illumination pattern should maintain a constant apparent surface illumination from the driver's perspective, which translates into a weak radiance (per steradian of solid angle) close to the car, increasing as you go further.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Can you give your costs on all this? I read in a previous LED headlight thread it’s pretty expensive. As is everything OEM.

And as I understand it, you’re not gonna hook up the ECU or SRH or auto levelling systems either so will that mean the adjuster motors in the headlight units are redundant?
$1614, both headlights 2021-2022 units and the harness to make it connect.

+ plus my time.

The lights have not shipped yet.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts