Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
My local dealer is doing 20% off on parts. The most this will cost for brand new parts is about $1,550 +/-.
I reached out to nick, regarding which are the correct part numbers.

I’ll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Definitely interested in how his goes. I’ve been looking on eBay and the Limited housing are readily available used but generally are missing a tab or three. At used pricing, this upgrade is pretty comparable to aftermarket housings which would not be OEM quality.
That was my issue, i scour ebay every night.
A lot of units with broken tabs, bad feedback on some sellers. I haven’t pulled the trigger.

The nicer units are pushing $750, one of the part numbers I have my local dealer has those for $680ish.

If i can get a solid price on new units, that is going to be the way I go.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Btw, this isn’t my first Rodeo with a headlight conversion.

I had an E36 BMW (90’s 3series) those came with poor halogen units, they were awful. I did an OEM projector housing retrofit. I spent a lot of time making sure everything was aimed properly and oncoming drivers would not be blinded.

If i cannot do it responsibly, with properly aimed projectors I won’t do it.

i’m just as annoyed with people that put HIDs in halogen housings (for us 80’s kids that got into the scene during the late 90’s) are the folks now putting LED bulbs into their halogen housings.

·
Registered
578 Posts
If you are determined to try to do this conversion, be sure to add in the LED headlight leveler hardware that is attached to the rear suspension, otherwise you will be binding oncoming cars if you have any appreciable weight in the car.
Agree. OEM LEDs also are linked in with steering, and managed by the ECU as you go around corners. You might want to confirm the whole wiring harness is equipped. I’d be surprised.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Agree. OEM LEDs also are linked in with steering, and managed by the ECU as you go around corners. You might want to confirm the whole wiring harness is equipped. I’d be surprised.
They’re not, and i really don’t care for the SRH function. The plugs for the pins that control the SRH are blocked off and not powered. The headlights will stay in position and not move once I aim everything.

·
Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
16,180 Posts
Our Limited has the steering responsive headlights. You can tell when you unlock the car, it does a quick system check and swivels the headlights from side to side. They appear to be mechanical, which surprised me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
They’re not, and i really don’t care for the SRH function. The plugs for the pins that control the SRH are blocked off and not powered. The headlights will stay in position and not move once I aim everything.
Yep there's always a off button for electronics. There is definitely one for the SRH function. Just need to get ahold of the headlight electrical schmatics

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
More info if anyone wants to make their own harness.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yep there's always a off button for electronics. There is definitely one for the SRH function. Just need to get ahold of the headlight electrical schmatics
I’m driving a Limited that i’m borrowing from a family member. I sold my 2018 before my 2022 gets here, had to take advantage of the used car prices.

Anyways i have played with the SRH on and off. It’s not that big of a deal. I almost got a limited, but i wanted the dual x-mode, startex seats and the bigger fenders.

The light out put difference between the LED projectors and halogens is a big deal.

My wheels will look better with the larger moldings.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
578 Posts
I’m driving a Limited that i’m borrowing from a family member. I sold my 2018 before my 2022 gets here, had to take advantage of the used car prices.

Anyways i have played with the SRH on and off. It’s not that big of a deal. I almost got a limited, but i wanted the dual x-mode, startex seats and the bigger fenders.

The light out put difference between the LED projectors and halogens is a big deal.

My wheels will look better with the larger moldings.
View attachment 310162
SRH yes. You can turn it off and as such say it’s not needed in a DIY upgrade. What about auto levelling?

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,405 Posts
Our Limited has the steering responsive headlights. You can tell when you unlock the car, it does a quick system check and swivels the headlights from side to side. They appear to be mechanical, which surprised me.
I've never seen it do a self-check when I walk up or unlock the vehicle... I do know it does the self-check every single time you start it, though.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,405 Posts
If you are determined to try to do this conversion, be sure to add in the LED headlight leveler hardware that is attached to the rear suspension, otherwise you will be binding oncoming cars if you have any appreciable weight in the car.
You can manually adjust them using the screw in the housing. Not too sure if he'll be able to add the hardware for the levelling feature because it needs to be pre-wired and programmed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
The levelers require ecu, body harness and the leveling sensors. My 2007 STi came from the factory with HID projectors no auto levelers, no one ever got blinded. And were aimed appropriately.

Morimoto headlight that you can buy for a lot of cars. LED Projectors, no auto levelers. They are DOT and FMVSS Approved.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts