Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2014 limited model with 60k miles that I bought new. With the limited I got the leather wrapped steering wheel. Lately there have been some huge flakes of the wheel coming off - it is actually pretty bad and happening all over my wheel but mostly on top. Anyone else experience this? I am out of the warranty but did get suckered into the ResistAll package and think that might cover me. Seems really early in the car's life to be having this issue.

·
Premium Member
8,311 Posts
I've got a 2013 and no issues here. It might be something that has been in contact with the leather (or the coating on the leather) causing the issue. It would be ironic if it's the ResistAll package that did it however!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Apparently with leather, even the fake-ish leather as per "bonded leather", things might happen differently from person to person.
Sweat and other stuff that we put on our hands, including soaps and creams, can do damage. And that is something that is not the same for everyone. To that add any other chemical that can be used to clean the steering wheel, sun (the sun is awfully able to weaken the material) and so on.
Learned that much doing restorations.
You should see the damage on certain guitars due to simple sweat for some people.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yeah it could really be any number of things. Do you park the car in the sun frequently? What products do you use to clean the interior? Even the way you grip the wheel could have some mild effect, exacerbating whatever the primary cause may be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Contacted the Resistall company and since the steering wheel is a mechanical part it is not treated with their product and therefor not covered under warranty.

I do not use any types of lotions on my hands. Not cautious about parking in the sun but dont think I should have to be.

I imagine a steering wheel is expensive to replace because of the air bag? Attaching pic for reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Sport 6 MT
3,312 Posts
Contacted the Resistall company and since the steering wheel is a mechanical part it is not treated with their product and therefor not covered under warranty.

I do not use any types of lotions on my hands. Not cautious about parking in the sun but dont think I should have to be.

I imagine a steering wheel is expensive to replace because of the air bag? Attaching pic for reference.
STEERING WHEEL - 2014 SUBARU XV CROSSTREK (34312FJ051VH)
SHOP FOR RELATED PARTS IN STEERING WHEEL
List Price: $382.64
You Save: $47.83 (13% off)
Sale Price: $334.81
ADD TO CART
GENUINE SUBARU PARTS
Subaru Parts
Manufacturer: Subaru
Part Number: 34312FJ051VH
Part: Steering Wheel
Replaces: 34312FJ050VH
Part Notes: XV Crosstrek. With leather.
MANUFACTURER WARRANTY
Minimum of 12 Months
GUARANTEED FITMENT

Subaru On-line parts

Mileage does seem very low for that to be happening.. Have you approached Dealership where purchased, District Rep, then SOA with pictures
showing damage, current mileage, they do have (at Dealership where purchased policies for "Cust Retention" ie, usually offer some form of Split between Dealer/Subaru/Cust) Subaru
should also be contacted, this condition Is NOT NORMAL, looking at picture, unless you wear Brass Knuckles all the time, in which case
There would not be any sort of Offer for GOOD WILL ....:bowdown:

Give this route a try, what have you got to lose,work your way up the ladder to see What Might be offered,, Beats Paying full price for something IMHO SHOULD BE COVERED BY WARRANTY, because
That is What Good Will is !!!

Please post back with what may/may not be their answer at each level, Remain Calm, Polite (no matter how PO'd you get)

Trust me something Will be offered, better to try and keep customer happy

Troutbum

Reactions: DK_XV and Colonel C

·
Premium Member
8,311 Posts
You can always replace it with an used steering wheel as well. Many members have replaced their base rubber steering wheel with leather by themselves...

·
Registered
918 Posts
As a side note, what does everyone recommend for keeping the leather in good shape?
Auto leather is highly processed and have coatings already. You mostly want to look for two things.

1 keep it clean, so those outer coatings aren't damaged. Grit, skin oils, and makeup can be damaging.

2 UV protection is a bonus.

My prior Acura I used Meguiars Clean/Conditioner. 10years, 160kmiles and the guy I sold it to was mind blown how the leather was still supple with minimal wear.

Im currently using ChemicalGuys UV Serum for my new Foresters seats. Less greasy, less shiny. But time will tell *shrug*

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
491 Posts
I use Obenauf's Heavy Duty Leather preserver. Its a little different as its generally used for boots, but good for all leather. I was quite happy at how soft and supple it made all my leather (boots, Motorcycle gear and suit, etc) vs the other automotive and Lexol preservers I was using. Its mostly beeswax, so it goes on quite thick. I recommend doing it on a hot day as it needs to melt into the leather, but after a day my leather wheel was so much more supple, and its stayed that way for a while. Way better than the typical stuff. Especially as Subaru used quite a cheap and dry leather from the start, that beeswax really gets into the fibers and protects and moisturizes it. Its not greasy, slippery or sticky either. It just softened it up and now has a much improved feel.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Never heard of Obenauf's . Sounds like a product I would use. Thanks

Sent using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I have a 2014 limited model with 60k miles that I bought new. With the limited I got the leather wrapped steering wheel. Lately there have been some huge flakes of the wheel coming off - it is actually pretty bad and happening all over my wheel but mostly on top. Anyone else experience this? I am out of the warranty but did get suckered into the ResistAll package and think that might cover me. Seems really early in the car's life to be having this issue.
I have the same issue my stirring wheel is peeling also really mad 2018 Subaru Forester XT . Tried calling no answer to discuss this issue I still have a full warranty on mine but still 2018 why is it peeling in the first place. I don’t clean the car with harsh chemicals , no Lysol products I clean the inside with mild soap and Lexol all leather quick care products. Nothing else is peeling just the wheel.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I have the same issue my stirring wheel is peeling also really mad 2018 Subaru Forester XT . Tried calling no answer to discuss this issue I still have a full warranty on mine but still 2018 why is it peeling in the first place. I don’t clean the car with harsh chemicals , no Lysol products I clean the inside with mild soap and Lexol all leather quick care products. Nothing else is peeling just the wheel.
Welcome to the forum. They peel because they are cheap material. Since this thread has been brought back for your post, I will suggest another old post that has the best solution (replace the material). 3 years into owning my Redline wrapped wheel and it looks like it did the day I got it.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
my 2016 starting peeling badly last year after shelter in place began. i believe the culprit was hand sanitizer

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
1,797 Posts

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,376 Posts
my 2016 starting peeling badly last year after shelter in place began. i believe the culprit was hand sanitizer
Yep, I've read that, too. It dries out the leather...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts