Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started to notice a few drops of oil under my car a few weeks ago. It had last been serviced in Mar/April at the dealer for the whole 60k service interval, got cvt oil changed and diffs and all that recommended stuff. I have only had it serviced at this dealer since I bought it new. So I call the dealer, take it in, they give me a loaner, call back say they think the front diff plug didn't have a great seal so cleaned it up and put it back. I go 24hr no drips, then the drips are back. So call back dealer, they clean the diff plug again, then wait a day to see if it will leak again. Sure enough it does, so they have their master tech take a look. Get a call back later, the cam carrier seals are leaking ($1800), and the torque converter seal is also leaking ($1100).

So here I am with a car that I have taken great care of, with close to $3k of fixes and only just over 60k miles... So much for that commercial where the Dad passes down the old subie to his kids, lol. I live in a mostly flat area, and use this 99% for commuting in the city to work, and occasional camping trips (no hard offroading).

At this point I am super upset, I call SOA and ask if there is anything they can do, after about 3 days, they say they will kick in 1k for fixing the leaking cam carriers, and from my googling I find out about the Transmission Warranty extension, that will cover the torque converter seal replacement. I also find out it seems like the cam carriers leaking is a manufacturing defect in the sealant used. So now I'm at 800$ of repairs still... on parts of a car I should not have to service at all.

I know there is also an issue with the CV boots tearing between 60 and 100k which isn't cheap to fix. What else should I plan for, outside of factory recommended maintenance. At this point should I just sell this car while it is still worth something? We are about to have our first child, and I don't want to deal with a money pit of a vehicle. It's sad though because I like my orange subie, and have lots of great memories. I bought it thinking I was getting a safe car that would be reliable for a while but am starting to heavily doubt how long it will last.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So even with the warranty and SOA credit it was still 945$ ... The dealer had me in a new sport XV loaner and it was very nice, seems like they fixed all the issues I have with the 2014. We are looking at a car for my wife, and she even liked it. Nice ride, quite, but after this repair my wife has no interest in getting a subie.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Super common.

Majority of cars end up leaking from some seal after 5-10 years just kind of part of the deal.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry to hear. I have found our Subaru's mildly needy and the lack of support(warranty, the ability to properly perform service basics) from our local dealer has been discouraging at the very least. Having said that, I find most cars at 60k need a fair whack of infrastructure if you want them turn key reliable for the next 60k. Subaru seems to need more than some, so I don't blame you for not wanting another. Good luck with which ever direction you go.
regards

1 - 4 of 4 Posts