Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
There's no need to use a factory filter. However, the bypass valve spec is a higher pressure than is typical for non-Subi branded filters. Bypass happens when the filter is obstructed, so raw oil flows without getting filtered. Maybe when the oil is extremely cold this could happen, or when the filter media is gunked up with debris. Without bypass, insufficient oil would flow in these situations.

There are a couple of non-Subi filters with the same higher bypass valve spec. I use those.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Is this the issue ? I only have 7k on my 2020 6 my and don’t have any noticeable oil in my cup but I have the same thing (smell) happening. I was going to talk to my dealer when I go back in for a oil change.
All my previous Subarus burned and/or leaked oil. 1987 DL, 2006 Legacy GT wagon, 2013 XV Crosstrek, all manual transmissions. A burning oil smell in the cabin, when stopped at a traffic light, or after a drive up to the ski hill was common. It just started with my '19, and not that I'm happy with it, but I'd say it's kinda a Subaru thing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
If you use a Subaru filter there are guide marks on the side of the filter indicating how tight you should turn it. If I'm not mistaken it is 7/8 of a turn after the gasket seats but that would not necessarily apply to the WIX.
Yeah, I've used those filters in the past on my '13, and if I recall correctly, 7/8 turn seemed way over tight to me. I'm sensing a trend with me not tightening my filter down enough!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
lol..BTW don't worry about non subaru brands. From Ultra Synthetic. Will reduce engine wear by 40%. Tens of millions jhave been installed on Subarus for decades. Including my 3 subarus.

Fram Ultura filters filter to 20microns. Others (including subaru[very likely]) filter to 30 to 40 microns.
But again do what you are comfortable with. Good advice above

I worried about OEM filters with my '13 because it was my first newish car and had a warranty and all, but with my brand-new, off the lot '19, for some unknown reason I haven't concerned myself with the OEM filters. And anyways, I'm learning here that the blue ones aren't even that good. They always seemed pretty flimsy to me when I used to use them before going to Wix. I'll definitely try the Fram Ultura in the future.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’ve had the same thing happen on my 2019 Crosstrek 6MT. I drive it spirited and have around 25,000 miles on it. I’ve done all oil changes on it myself. After my third oil change (did first at 3,000 then every 5,000) I had the same thing happen, I use WIX XP filters. I tightened back down and it was fine, I’ve never had a filter come lose on any other car and I tightened it down per spec. I’ve kept a close eye but hasn’t happened again.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts