Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked through the extensive 'oil' posts, and couldn't find anything on this specific topic.
I have a 2019 6MT Crosstrek with 12850 miles on it. After a short bit of spirited driving, consistently pushing the RPMs between 3500-5500, I started to smell some burning oil in the cabin while sitting still at a stoplight. This smell has been common in some of my previous subby's, but I wasn't looking forward to it in my new car and it feels way too soon for this to be happening at my current mileage. I popped the hood and was surprised to see the cup around the oil filter had a decent amount of oil in it. It wasn't to the brim, but let's say half-full. I change my own oil, and hand tighten the filter after the gasket contacts the seating surface. I snugged the filter up at this point, and I'd say it turned about 1/3 inch, but it didn't seem unusually loose to me. Could that driving have increased the oil pressure to the point of squeaking some oil out past the filter seal?

Thanks for your thoughts...

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
1,162 Posts
Did you do the basics at the last oil change?
Clean the mounting plate and make sure the last gasket wasn't stuck as well.
Check the stud to be sure it hadn't loosened.
Inspect new filter. Follow its tightening instructions printed.
What brand and model of filter did you use?

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,209 Posts
In addition to what orndog suggested, did you smear a little oil on the new filter gasket before installing?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sounds to me like you didn't fully tighten the filter at the original install. Every filter I've installed for many years says turn 3/4 to a full turn after the gasket first makes contact. This is usually tighter than just hand tight.

·
Registered
91 Posts
1.use a factory filter and tighten to spec, cleaning the sealing surface before installation is critical. Put a bit of oil on the oil filter seal before the install.
2. check to see if your car needs the pcv recall (updated valve, plastic to metal version)
3. I use Castrol 5w-30 syntec in our crosstrek (less engine noise, runs smoother, etc) and set to level per the manual.
I find you really need to clean up a lot around the oil filter when servicing these cars, or you tend to get a bit of a collection.
regards

·
Registered
141 Posts
Mine leaked just a tiny bit without spirited driving.
When installing the new oil filer I use silicone grease on the gasket, hand tighten and use wrench to give it maybe 1/4 or so turn.
The silicone grease seems to do the trick. Can get a cheap tube on Amazon. A little goes a long way.

·
Registered
305 Posts
And don’t forget to put a good smear of fresh oil around the entire oil filter gasket before putting it on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup, I do the basics when I change my oil, that's the reason I do it myself. I guess I just didn't seat the filter as tightly as needed. I clean the mounting surface, I inspect the new filter and put a coating of new oil on the seal. I use the mid-grade WIX filter (sorry, don't know the model number off the top of my head). I haven't checked the stud for tightness, so I'll keep that in mind.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine leaked just a tiny bit without spirited driving.
When installing the new oil filer I use silicone grease on the gasket, hand tighten and use wrench to give it maybe 1/4 or so turn.
The silicone grease seems to do the trick. Can get a cheap tube on Amazon. A little goes a long way.
Cool. I'm gonna start with tightening mine a bit more. I always put a bit of fresh motor oil on the seal. I had a '13 XV Crosstrek before my '19 and changed the oil dozens of times without this problem. So, was just checking here to see if others have experienced this. Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1.use a factory filter and tighten to spec, cleaning the sealing surface before installation is critical. Put a bit of oil on the oil filter seal before the install.
2. check to see if your car needs the pcv recall (updated valve, plastic to metal version)
3. I use Castrol 5w-30 syntec in our crosstrek (less engine noise, runs smoother, etc) and set to level per the manual.
I find you really need to clean up a lot around the oil filter when servicing these cars, or you tend to get a bit of a collection.
regards
Thanks for these points. I always clean that seating surface and the whole cup area around the filter mount every time I change my oil/filter. I think I just didn't tighten my filter down enough, which is a first for me. I've only got a couple of oil changes in on this car, but I'd done dozens on my 'old 13 XV Crosstrek without issue. Maybe I'm losing my strength! Interesting suggestion on 5w30. I've always used the 0w20 that is recommended. A quieter, smoother running engine sounds nice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds to me like you didn't fully tighten the filter at the original install. Every filter I've installed for many years says turn 3/4 to a full turn after the gasket first makes contact. This is usually tighter than just hand tight.
I thought I had strong hands for hand-tightening. I might have been kidding myself.

·
Registered
2020 6 sp premium in Cool Khaki Grey
114 Posts
I looked through the extensive 'oil' posts, and couldn't find anything on this specific topic.
I have a 2019 6MT Crosstrek with 12850 miles on it. After a short bit of spirited driving, consistently pushing the RPMs between 3500-5500, I started to smell some burning oil in the cabin while sitting still at a stoplight. This smell has been common in some of my previous subby's, but I wasn't looking forward to it in my new car and it feels way too soon for this to be happening at my current mileage.
Thanks for your thoughts...
Is this the issue ? I only have 7k on my 2020 6 my and don’t have any noticeable oil in my cup but I have the same thing (smell) happening. I was going to talk to my dealer when I go back in for a oil change.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Thanks. Precise advice, to the point. My style.
lol..BTW don't worry about non subaru brands. From Ultra Synthetic. Will reduce engine wear by 40%. Tens of millions jhave been installed on Subarus for decades. Including my 3 subarus.

Fram Ultura filters filter to 20microns. Others (including subaru[very likely]) filter to 30 to 40 microns.
But again do what you are comfortable with. Good advice above

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,209 Posts
I use the mid-grade WIX filter
If you use a Subaru filter there are guide marks on the side of the filter indicating how tight you should turn it. If I'm not mistaken it is 7/8 of a turn after the gasket seats but that would not necessarily apply to the WIX.

Reactions: Arnsberg
1 - 20 of 25 Posts