Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ... I expect soon to be in the market for a new, 2023 Crosstrek. Probably a Limited or Sport, as I want the 2.5L engine rather than the 2.0.

Background: I currently drive a 2004 Forester. It is a great car, but beginning to show its age a bit at 172K miles. I am not interested in the current generation of Foresters as they have grown too big for my wants/needs. The current Crosstrek is roughly the size and weight of the Forester I am driving now. Honestly, if I could find another old school Forester just like mine that had been hermetically sealed inside a time capsule for 19 or so years, I'd buy that ... but since that seems highly unlikely, I'm looking at a Crosstrek, hence my presence on this forum.

Ideally, I'd like to get another 2-4 months (and one more ski trip) out of my ancient Forester before trading. That would put me buying a Crosstrek sometime between late March and early May. Assuming I buy new, I would like a 2023 model. I don't want a 2024 for the same reason I wouldn't want a 2018. I never like to buy the first year of a new model or major refresh. There are too many bugs to work out with a new design and the first model always seems to have problems. So it's either a 2019-2023, or I wait for a 2025, which would be less than ideal.

So ... if my goal is to have a new Crosstrek in my possession in the time frame stated above ... when should I start the buying process? Now? Later? Am I already too late? For reference, I am in the southeastern US (Chattanooga, TN area).

Final note: Assuming I buy a brand-new Crosstrek, it will be my first ever purchase of a brand new car off the lot (or online, for that matter). I have bought used vehicles from dealers as well as private parties, but never an original purchase of a new car. Any pointers would be appreciated.

· Registered
11 Posts
Availability where you are may be different, but here in Canada they're placing orders for the 2024s with May/June expected deliveries.
Our dealership recently called and said they've had someone back out of their order of a 2023 that's the same trim as we wanted but in a different colour. It would be delivered in about 6 weeks.

I'm waiting for the 2024.

I've heard that inventory is low everywhere so if you can find some you won't have many options on trims and colours, and I've also heard of people complaining about significant dealer markups.

Good luck!

· Butchin' Moderator
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,753 Posts
In the SF Bay Area the available inventory of cars on the lot has expanded. This fact has led to the removal of "dealer markup" in many large car dealers as well although there are still attempts to sell overpriced "add-ons" that are probably not worth the money. I think the longer you wait the easier it will be to find the car you want at a more reasonable price. I think this seems to be true even though trade-in value is also declining pretty fast. I was surprised to see one of our largest car dealers with a huge sign out front: "No car in inventory with dealer mark-up." Patience right now may pay off as inventories increase and better deals become available.

· Registered
11 Posts
Assuming I buy new, I would like a 2023 model. I don't want a 2024 for the same reason I wouldn't want a 2018. I never like to buy the first year of a new model or major refresh. There are too many bugs to work out with a new design and the first model always seems to have problems. So it's either a 2019-2023, or I wait for a 2025, which would be less than ideal.
While I agree with this philosophy, and it was a big factor in why I waited to get my 2022 Outback Wilderness, I am less concerned about buying a 2024 Crosstrek because it appears that a lot of the changes aren't entirely new.
The engines and CVTs are almost certainly unchanged though official specifications haven't be published; it's not like when they introduced the brand new Infotainment system and 2.4L turbo in the Outback.
The Infotainment system is new to the Crosstrek, but is from the Outback and has already undergone numerous revisions/updates. From photos it appears that it's going to be the updated unit that's in the 2023 Outback which has already gotten a software update and more are expected soon. It supports wireless AA and Carplay which may or may not be of value to you.
The third (new) camera for the Eyesight system is also already in operation in the 2023 Outbacks.
Most of the other changes appear to be mostly cosmetic, though there are supposedly some updates to the chassis global platform to improve driving dynamics and noise reduction.

So yes, of the 2023, 2024, and 2025 models, the 2024 is the most likely to have bugs, but the changes appear to be updates rather than full blown redesigns so issues are most likely to be minor.

The 2023 will have the advantage of having its minor issues sorted out. If you prefer a smaller infotainment screen with more physical buttons, especially for HVAC, this is your last chance to get them on a Subaru. While I find that physical buttons are superior for fine tuning HVAC systems, the automatic climate control settings coupled with the physical defrost and temperature buttons are very effective. And that's coming from someone who is very particular about HVAC settings; I don't miss all of the knobs or having to make frequent adjustments. The 2024 is also almost certainly dropping the manual transmission if that's something you desire.

The 2024 will benefit from an improved Eyesight system, a larger Infotainment that's not perfect but has had the major bugs already sorted, and chassis updates. There may also be fuel efficiency improvements as it appears to my eye to be more streamlined. Given that the 2024 Impreza has been confirmed to have LED headlights on all trims it stands to reason that the same will apply to the Crosstrek; only the top trim on the 2023s have them. If they're anything like the headlights on my Outback this is a very welcome improvement. I also think that the cosmetic refresh and new colours are worth waiting a couple more months for, but that's clearly a very subjective change.

The 2025 should sort out any assembly issues that may arise, but if it's a design or part flaw it may not be updated in time. You'll also need to wait at least a year and half.

I'm replacing an ailing Chevy Equinox and so can't wait for the 2025. I think the updates to the 2024 are worth the risk of minor update issues and will meaningfully improve my ownership experience.

YMMV.

· Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
5,845 Posts
I totally get wanting to stick with a 2023, especially if the powertrain in the 24s remains the same. The gawdawful head unit in the next-generation models is reason enough!

Subaru of America hasn't given us any definitive statements about when the order book will close for the 2023 models, so this is all crystal ball stuff ... but if it were me, and I wanted a specific color and trim/options package, I'd start the order process now, for sure. Order books for the next-generation model are already open in Australia, and we've seen unofficial reports that that's happening in Canada, too, so odds are good that the curtain will come down on the 2023s in the US pretty quickly. There's a chance you're already too late for certain colors/options. Ordering now, though, will get you a car closer to the 2-month timeframe than the 4-month timeframe. You're not going to be able to schedule this precisely.

You can probably wait a little while if you're willing to take a vehicle that is already in transit in the next few weeks, and aren't set on a specific color or option package. I don't think pricing is going to vary much either way ... absolutely don't take a car that has a dealer markup over MSRP, but don't expect significant discounts, either.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I totally get wanting to stick with a 2023, especially if the powertrain in the 24s remains the same. The gawdawful head unit in the next-generation models is reason enough!
Yup, I got wind of the new display and I'm not interested in anything that size!

Subaru of America hasn't given us any definitive statements about when the order book will close for the 2023 models, so this is all crystal ball stuff ... but if it were me, and I wanted a specific color and trim/options package, I'd start the order process now, for sure. Order books for the next-generation model are already open in Australia, and we've seen unofficial reports that that's happening in Canada, too, so odds are good that the curtain will come down on the 2023s in the US pretty quickly. There's a chance you're already too late for certain colors/options. Ordering now, though, will get you a car closer to the 2-month timeframe than the 4-month timeframe. You're not going to be able to schedule this precisely.
Good points. I guess I had better get the ball rolling sooner than later.

You can probably wait a little while if you're willing to take a vehicle that is already in transit in the next few weeks, and aren't set on a specific color or option package. I don't think pricing is going to vary much either way ... absolutely don't take a car that has a dealer markup over MSRP, but don't expect significant discounts, either.
Thanks for the insights. I have been figuring I will probably end up paying MSRP or close to it, but hopefully not over.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 2023 will have the advantage of having its minor issues sorted out.
That's what I'm banking on.

If you prefer a smaller infotainment screen with more physical buttons, especially for HVAC, this is your last chance to get them on a Subaru.
Bingo!

The 2024 is also almost certainly dropping the manual transmission if that's something you desire.
Good to know, but I'm almost certainly going with the CVT.

I think the updates to the 2024 are worth the risk of minor update issues and will meaningfully improve my ownership experience. YMMV.
Thanks for the perspective. I can see how folks could go either way on this. But I think I'm going to try to pick up a '23 before they are all gone.

· Butchin' Moderator
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,753 Posts
Don't hesitate to push down on MSRP on a few dealers. Let us know what your experience is. I can't believe that folks are talking about Subaru putting a worse head unit in the Crosstrek! I have to admit that the '18 head unit has been a source of entertainment for me but not from working properly. Good luck! Keep us posted.

· Registered
22 Posts
2 Months in US. I ordered end of October was told 2 months & end of December it arrived. I heard end of November was the cut off for placing orders but have no proof or confirmation of that, just hearsay. If it isn't true order now cause it will not be long. Note my car was built in Japan BEFORE I ordered it in the US (according to the VIN tag) so they must have some "stock" (since there aren't really many on-the-assembly-line options) then they dole them out to order. Wanted a 23 or nothing.

· Registered
MY23 Premium 6MT
7 Posts
Around early November, here in tri state area, inventory was not good, but I was able to get a MT Crosstrek that happened to be sitting a short while on a dealer lot.... guess no one wanted MT, but thats what I wanted. And as mentioned before being that MY24 not likely to get a MT, I had to grab a MY23.
Around the same time a friend of mine ordered a Sport at MSRP, and she still hasnt received it yet or gotten a more precise ETA.

· Registered
3 Posts
I went to a dealer here in the North Texas area to test drive a Crosstrek yesterday. They had a lot of used inventory and only had 6 new 2023 Crosstrek on the lot three of which has already been spoken for. The MSRP for '23 limited was $33k and includes option 33 package. Of course they had to add dealer iinstalled options which added another $2800 to the price of the car. In negotiating, i only got them to come down $500 off the MSRP and some on the "dealer options". Where they actually helped was giving me more for my trade-in. Drive out price including TT&L was $31k

In shopping for cars this time around i have noticed that Toyota and Honda dealership has marked up the new cars on their lot and have been unwilling to negotiate from the MSRP. They have the mentality of if you don't like the price, somebody else will. This Subaru dealership I went to was the first work with me on the MSRP.

Even if you';re not ready to purchase now, I would suggest to go into a dealership(s) and introduce yourself and create a relationship with the internet sales person. And ask them to notify you if a car matching what you're looking for hits the lot.

· Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
5,845 Posts
I’ve seen several reports on the Internet that Subaru of America will be closing the order books for 2023 Crosstreks at the end of this month. If you want a 2023 model, or a new Crosstrek with a manual transmission, now is the time to order!!

· Registered
14 Posts
I got my 2023 limited last Oct 29, just 2 days before the 2.9% financing expired! I did not see any Bay Area dealers I checked with marking up the prices. What I found was small dealers with zero inventory trying to sell what they had and lead you on, mostly used. A giant dealer I went with, Premier was able to lock my car online and I picked it up next day with everything I wanted except color. All three other Crosstreks in their inventory sold that day too! Three months later, we are totally happy with our car. We paid list price, not a dollar less or more! At the time orders were taking 2-3 months to deliver. Got the leather interior, led lights, moon roof. Didn’t want the extra large stereo deal Very happy with the size, sound and usefulness of the touch screen system. Seemed like a few options were missing from the limited that I have come to expect. Memory settings for power seat, mirrors for at least two drivers. Power seat for passenger side too. Sure like the LED lighting!
One other thing missing from the limited is better all weather mats. The OEM carpets are sure cheeseball looking and don’t belong in the limited model...
Ross

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I’ve seen several reports on the Internet that Subaru of America will be closing the order books for 2023 Crosstreks at the end of this month. If you want a 2023 model, or a new Crosstrek with a manual transmission, now is the time to order!!
Thanks for the heads-up. I confirmed with multiple sales reps that this was true. Some of the paint colors are already unavailable for ordering; I went on the Subaru.com site and built a Crosstrek with the Cool-Gray Khaki, but found it could no longer be ordered. I ended up going with the Ice Silver Metallic.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So ... UPDATE from OP ... I went to my local dealer last Friday to try to do a test drive. They did not have a single new Crosstrek on the lot. I was only able to test drive a 2020 Limited that someone had traded in. It was OK, but confirmed what I had heard on this forum ... the 2.5L is the way to go! The 2.0 in the 2020 model was ... OK, I guess ... but a bit sluggish. I'm really glad they offer the 2.5 now.

I got on subaru.com Friday evening and did a build of the Limited with a couple of accessories I wanted (floor mats and roof rails ... Correction: the aero cross bars to go with the roof rails). MSRP including destination charges came out to $31,104.

https://www.subaru.com/build/CTK/PRF/summary.html?token=1CVHOrxg86AtaQyhgPtsInstQla8u

I sent the build to the three closest dealerships that came up on the Subaru site (including the local one where I test-drove the 2020). I also went to TrueCar and reached out to some other dealers in the geographic region. That got me a flurry of responses, not all of which were helpful. However, I did get quotes from dealers in the Huntsville, AL and Atlanta, GA areas (I'm in the Chattanooga, TN area, so a couple of hours from both). Long story short, nobody would take off their doc fees, but one of the Atlanta area dealers actually went below MSRP to mostly offset the doc fee. I ended up ordering the car (in Ice Silver since they are no longer taking orders for Cool-Gray Khaki) for a drive-off-the-lot figure (including 7% Tennessee tax) of about $33.6K. I considered that a win and put down a deposit. Delivery is anticipated in late March.

Thanks to all on the forum for your helpful suggestions. I really appreciate the help and look forward to contributing to this forum in the future after I actually start driving the car. My suggestion: if you want to special order a 2023 Crosstrek, do it by 5:00 EST tomorrow, because multiple people have told me that is the order cutoff in the US. Whew! After that, all you will get is what is on the lots (not much) or what is in transit already. Or you can wait for the 2024 model.

Now all I have to do is wait for arrival and pickup of my first-ever brand new car and first Crosstrek after three Foresters. Pics when I get the car!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts