Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The compact temporary spare tire (a.k.a. the donut), has anyone been able to make a new one in a different size or obtain one from something else? Looking for compatibility with 215-75-15 tires. The Subaru Tribeca spare is 165-80-17 and only differs by 1.1% in size but unfortunately does not have the 5x100 bolt pattern wheel I need to match my 2016 Crosstrek. I heard the older Honda Pilot or Ford Edge might work but I do not believe they will fit either as they are not 5x100. Everyone with the 2018 and newer Limited with the 18" "starfish" wheels claims the 215-75-15 is very close to the stock tire size so I was thinking of ordering a donut from that but I don't think it is much bigger than what came with my 2016.

I have seen and researched hundreds of threads about getting a full size spare and mixing it in with rotations and how all tires need to be the same size or you kill the drivetrain, etc. so please don't derail this as I am fully aware of these issues. Just looking for something that I can use in an emergency in on-road driving to get me to the tire shop or use for a day or two until I can get a repair.

Every tire place I go to tells me this is not possible and that the donut has to come from the manufacturer and they can't re-do my existing donut with a different size tire. Everyone directs me to a junk yard to buy a used one but I do not know of one that will work with the right bolt pattern offset. If anyone has ever made a new donut, got one from a different car, or modified an existing one please help with your insights! I would gladly pay whatever it costs to still be able to use my cargo area or forgo the roof basket / Wilco hitch route. Thank you for your help as I am at my wits end and need your help if its possible.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The spare on the 2018+ is a 145/80/17 I believe. It comes on a 17x4 wheel. It would still be smaller than the 215/75/15 or even the OEM equivalent sizes.

I was looking at 165/80/17 and 155/90/17 myself since I got new wheels and tires. Wondering now if I'll run into the same issues as you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Old thread but anyway

found this company after looking at a used Buick that had one in the trunk since GM decided cars with run flats don’t need spares... they don’t list Subaru but might be worth checking with them anywa?

Also if you type temporary spare into the search bar on Tire Rack there’s a bunch of different sized tires without rims. Maybe they could help direct you to one of their partner local shops that will swap yours out for you?

guess I didn’t check Discount Tires to see if they sell spares also? if you have one close to you?

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium; 2010 LGT stage 2+
168 Posts
You could try telling the technician that it's actually for your wife's CRV. That's my plan if it's an issue. I'm also thinking 165/80r17.
You could also just order the tire from ebay or tirerack and walk it into a shady used tire shop and ask them to mount it for cash.

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Crosstrek, CVT
17 Posts
I'm in the same boat with my 2016. Planning to get a set of 215/70R16s this summer, but looking for a way to use the temporary spare wheel (or one from 2018+) and a taller tire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts