Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE: I wasn't able to swap the wheels to see, so I did the next best thing, which was take my Winter wheels and put it beside my car, it is the same on both sides.

I bought/installed new tires very recently and today I notice my rear right side's wheel gap is different than my left rear's. in the image u can see my right rear wheel gap touches my finger, while the left side doesn't.

What could have caused this? other than that I don't notice a issue while driving, no rubbing and car still drives straight. I thought Subaru made the wheel well area unequal, but the measurement was the same.

I also drew a image showing in what way it is shifted based on the difference in the measurements I took from the front and rear gaps.

any1 have theories on what is shifted and why?

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Locking hubs
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Rectangle Wood Handwriting Material property Font

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Just get a wheel alignment? Maybe you hit a hole in the road or similar.
I google about when to get alignment, my symptoms doesn't align with any of those it seems.

Are the tires the same size on each side?
yes all of them are OEM- spec w/ OEM wheel if that was what you mean.

Stupid question maybe, but are you parked on a level surface?
Yes, i also compare it on other surfaces as well.

i would swap positions of the tires and see if you still have the problem. you obviously did not have a problem before you bought new tires?
Well i wouldn't know, I don't look at my wheel/tire often enough before then until right now when I got new tires.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just looked at mine when I left for work. I can almost put two fingers in front of my rear wheel and both sides are equal.
ya from what I seen on gen 2/3 crosstrek, their gaps are bigger than gen1 for some reason. (assuming u have a 2021).

I agree rotate the tires as a first step. If it does or doesn't follow the tire will tell you something.

Are you saying that the wheel and tire stick out more? Like if there was a spacer between the wheel and the hub? Or is it shifted more forward or upward in the wheel well?

Or does it look like an issue with camber, caster, or toe?

Just trying to clarify because your first post has me a little confused.
I wasn't able to rotate the wheels, so I did the next best thing, which was take my Winter wheels and put it beside my car, it is the same on both sides.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's not what I was talking about. If you take the wheel in question and move it to another location and the gap issue goes with it, that tells us it had to do with the wheel. If the gap issue stays in the same place, then we know that it doesn't have to do with the wheel.
no i know what you by tire rotation that's why i said i can't do it. i can't take off my wheels.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Are you the original owner in that you know the cars full history? If never wrecked, maybe it got backed into a cement curb hard, hit a pot hole, or even someone improperly jacked up the rear at one point damaging the suspension on that side. My guess is that something is bent. If this is new and only after the tire change, then it's kinda obvious they did something to the car.
yes im the original owner. I only noticed after the tire change because i was looking at my sexy new tires (lol), the MICHELIN® PILOT® SPORT ALL SEASON 4. So im unsure when it actually shifted.

Only recent accident was back in 2019 when I backed into a hard wall while the steering wheel was straight. I tried going to the mechanic today but he was busy and wasn't able to do anything. He did say its very weird.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Measure the wheel base and see if it is different from side to side (just to confirm that it isn't really bad panel installation). Did you put a lift in of any kind? (lift kits will pull the rear wheels forward in the wheel well). Looks like something shifted, bent or a bushing got beat out.
will do that. Nope, i never installed a lift kit on the car, its bone stock OEM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts