Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like a few posts I've read, some Subaru owners are having a problem with the key getting stuck in the ignition after shutting down the car.
I've tried a new technique that seems to be working. With the car on, in drive, lock all doors with the auto door "lock" button, put in park and
immediately remove the key. Has worked 90+ percent of the time. If it doesn't, I just start the car, budge the car forward or backward
slightly, and repeat the process and that usually does the trick. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went through this with my 2017 Legacy. At first it happened randomly and would eventually come out. I would turn the car on, maybe go in reverse, maybe drive a bit, try again and again.
Last week it happened EVERy time I used the car, and it could take up to 20 minutes to get it out. I took it to the dealer, who at first was very surprised to hear this- luckily when I drove in , the key wouldn't come out then either. Anyway they said it was under warranty and they replaced a bolt and it took 2 days for them to get it and do it, but hopefully problem free. It's not just an inconvenience----it's a safety issue. Switching from P to R to D etc is now a LOT stiffer, but as long as I can get the key out reliably, I am happy. Definitely take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My crosstrek is doing this. The shifter isn't locking in park. If I pump the brakes firm, shift out & in of park the key comes out 100% of the time. My brakes need to bled, don't know yet if that's the problem but I'm doing that today so I'll let you know if it does work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I actually had the key get stuck on my 2015 a couple of times. One day while I was in the car I just kept messing with the key turning it off and on (not turning over the car, just switching in to the on position) to maybe loosen the entire key switch and since then, I have not had any issues. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
Subaru XV MY2019 Quartz blue pearl 1.6 CVT Style - Italy
60 Posts
MY2019 . Randomly happened. I thought doing something wrong with brake or shift... Now I know that I'm not the only one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
started happening to my 16XT about a month after bringing mine in for the brake light switch recall. At first it seemed to do with how hard I put it in park, then letting off the brakes, now seems to just be patience with how I turn the keys in the ignition. Commenting to see if anyone has solutions

·
Registered
9 Posts
This started happening to my 2016 Crosstrek this past winter. To get my keys back out I turn them to ACC, put my foot on the brake then put the shift in R then back in P a few times real quick, then turn the car back off. Usually it gives me my keys back.
I’m still under warranty, so I’m going to have it looked at soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine did the same... It is the cylinoid in the gear shift... Once that is replaced you will have no issues...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts