Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well it finally came in after weeks of second guessing my decision to give up my 2012 Prius C and my 2005 Jeep TJ on trade. It was a hard decision as I was very happy with both vehicles. The 2012 Prius brought both my son and I across Canada from Charlottetown, PEI to Whitehorse, Yukon. Fond memories of the trip and the car which was ultra reliable, amazing on gas and very comfortable. Unfortunately not very off road (not at all) worthy and hence the purchase of the Jeep with only 56000km at the time and had never seen snow. The Jeep had been fitting the bill for exploring ( as had my 4 others Jeeps before it) but it is not the safest vehicle from the brake stand point or the most economical (lucky if I would see 350km out of a tank of gas even in 2wd). The Prius did most of the commuting but it just didn't seem practical to have two vehicles, with insurance and driving the Jeep more than half the time because it was more enjoyable knowing that if I found something off the beaten path I could go explore. The Subaru seemed like a good compromise fitting somewhere between the Prius and the Jeep. Seeing so many up here and with a Hybrid finally being offered from Subaru on a platform that has off road ability made the decision to part with my two very much appreciated vehicles much easier. Whether I made the correct decision only time will tell but I am optimistic about my choice and will be until proven otherwise.
So now on to the XV Hybrid: My initial impressions on the Hybrid is that it is not as refined from the Hybrid standpoint as the Toyota but I was expecting this. The drive in more enjoyable on many levels and I really look forward to driving the Subaru while the Prius I never really had that feeling. The Jeep I did but from the safely standpoint it always worried me a little especially when my 13 yr old was in the car with me. He also thinks the Subaru is a much cooler car and is no longer referring to my car as being gay ( which is another way of saying he thinks it's girlie). Apparently his friends didn't think the Prius was very cool in a land scape of lifted trucks and many AWD with the Subaru raining supreme in these parts. I know have 400km on the XV after three days and have not plugged it in yet despite -22 to -26 C temps and it has started without any issues. It is quiet and seems on many levels very refined, with the brakes, suspension and steering having a very good feedback and positive feels. A few of my concerns were answered in the past few days about this car, that being: the Ghost wondering/alignment issues I read about. Simply my XV tracks true as an arrow without any wondering or pulling one direction or the other. Next was the oil consumption issues which worries me more and would probably result in selling it if it end up consuming oil. This is something I will monitor on a regular basis despite the mechanic and sales person telling me they have not had any issues with the 2L boxer consuming oil after selling many this past year. One litre every 2000km would not be an acceptable rate of consumption for me on a new car period despite Subaru's disclaimer of this being normal. I was shocked to see this actually included stuck into the pages of manual. It's interesting that they do not give this information out prior to the purchase of the car! I guess it might scare away a few buyers. They sold one other Hybrid a few weeks before mine arrived and so far despite it being 5 hrs North of here ( I think Dawson) and it being much colder their, apparently there have been no issues.
Finally I am hoping at some point there will be a dedicated thread/forum specifically devoted to the Hybrid so owners can compare notes on any potential issues or other observations specific to this car. I would imagine there are not so many of us who have purchased this car but many more will follow given the positive reviews and the refinements specific to the Hybrid version of the XV. Hope to seem others who have the Hybrid post in the near future as I love to follow the observations of others as well as adding my own.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Welcome, You sound like the exact profile Subaru was thinking when coming out with the hybrid. There are already a few hybrid only threads going, and I suspect there will be many more to come. My favorite so far is Hybrid Tow Truck.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Welcome!

Took delivery of my hybrid last Tuesday and have loved it! Like you, no issues with alignment/tracking...it is straight and true. And also keeping an eye on that oil consumption but I'm hopeful it won't appear. It definitely seems random and NOT a fleet wide issue.

Also agree that their should be a top-level Hybrid forum. ClubCrosstrek has one, but let's be honest, this forum is much better. :)

Enjoy your Crosstrek!

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
4,054 Posts
Congratulations! And yep, it's kind of hard to imagine a Prius on the streets of Whitehorse ... but a Subaru would feel right at home. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had this happen on my original car, and now on my replacement car. Cold weather has set off the check engine light. It happened once on my first hybrid before they replaced it with this new one. Now it's gone off again.

Both time this has happened is less than 300km, so maybe its just the sensors are messed up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hopefully that is the case and not systemic. Is it the low oil light or some other light that keeps tripping. They should be able to pull the code if it is a check engine light. I've got 640km on mine now and no issues so far except for frost building up in both of the head lights as well as the tail lights. I guess there could have been a lot of humidity in the plant where they were sealed and the condensation in the air is now freezing. I took it in today and they are contacting Subaru concerning the issue. Hopefully there is a cure other than a full replacement of the lights. Not a major issue but one that I have never seen on any other new car I have owned ( which has been exactly 4 in the past 5 years). I do love the way this car drives and it has already got me out of a jam after driving into some deep hard packed snow which would have stopped my Prius in its tracks and necessitated a tow truck. Again my son also thinks the car is super cool!:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts