Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Magnetite Grey Metallic Limited
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I think the pictures say enough. I'm giving away the factory fogs to anyone that wants to pay for shipping...just PM me.

Taken with my Nikon D850 and Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8.
All photos taken with these settings: 6.0 seconds @ f/5.6, 24mm, no flash, ISO 64.
Photos are in this order...
  1. No factory fog lights on
  2. Factory fog lights on
  3. No Diode Dynamic fog lights on
  4. Diode Dynamic (Pro) fog lights on

·
He wasn't there!
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,416 Posts
That's a lot of output.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
10,754 Posts
That's quite dramatic!

Not something we need to worry about here but good to know...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've been eyeing those upgrades FOREVER! I want the white light but never knew how they handle in the real world. Do they throw light down the road well? I know they are fogs but back in the day I had Hella 500's on my '96 VW Jetta and on a Impreza, and i loved them. Great for night driving in the woods and on unlit highway in VT. Was like daylight with those things and if these do something like that i would probably pull the trigger.

Also how hard are they to install?

Look amazing.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Sport, Plasma Yellow Pearl
54 Posts
Also how hard are they to install?
They are super easy to install, as long as your Crosstrek already has a fog light housing installed. If not, then its a bit more involved.

Here is one video of the DD SS3 lights installed in an existing housing:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Next question to answer: are you blinding the oncoming traffic? That usually the buzz kill. Have great lighting is great, but it sucks to constantly get jerks flashing you thinking your brights are on.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That usually the buzz kill. Have great lighting is great, but it sucks to constantly get jerks flashing you thinking your brights are on.
I had the same concerns since I have the Max on order. @TheHozOpp1 has Max installed on his Crosstrek and I ask them how the cutoffs and alignments are with the fogs. Looks like they can be angled downwards so the cutoff is below the low beams, thus not blinding incoming traffic. I hope they don't mind me sharing our conversation below.

Yes. They come with a bracket that allows them to be adjusted up/down with a total swing of about 15 degrees. I have linked a short video below, as you can see I've adjusted them so that the beam doesn't go any higher than the cut off of the low beams. In addition to that, the SS3 beam pattern leaves a hole in the middle for where the low-beam is strongest. The beam pattern is actually quite well designed.

My only thing with them is the angle adjustment is done with an allen key on the side of the housing. Its essentially the same bolt that attaches the mount to the fog housing. Problem with that is that there isn't easy access to that bolt once the fog is installed. For my adjustments, I tightened the bolt so that its JUST enough to move, installed the fog lights, aimed them, then took the fogs back out to tighten the bolt the rest of the way, then installed them again. Its kind of a pain, but once they are installed and aimed properly, in theory you shouldn't have to touch them again.

I hope this helps!

I think in the end you'll have to ask what your use case for the fogs are. Some people like to run them all the time (highways, city, et cetera). I only run them when weather is **** (rain, snow, fog, et cetera) and I think the Pro/Max are the way to go with these. Also keep in mind the Pro and Max run hotter than the Sports. The Sport does not run hot enough to sufficiently melt any ice on the lens.

TacomaWorld has a great topic on these lights with some really good research and experiments. The Max tests are somewhere in page ~200, while Sport and Pro are present in the first and earlier pages.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've been eyeing those upgrades FOREVER! I want the white light but never knew how they handle in the real world. Do they throw light down the road well?
if you go look at their site they have a diagram that shows the light projection between the “driving lights” & “fogs”. they have differently designed lenses. the fogs are almost like a diffuser lens so the light only travels so far & spreads it wide. the driving lights push light farther but not wide.

they also offer a “combo” light now that combines both style lens. if you look at that lens you can see the difference side by side.

The Sport does not run hot enough to sufficiently melt any ice on the lens.
my sports melt snow. I used my temp gun on them the other day when it was single digits & they were 42•F

·
Registered
54 Posts
my sports melt snow. I used my temp gun on them the other day when it was single digits & they were 42•F
That is good to know. I think its highly dependent on the conditions. On the TacomaWorld thread there are plenty of experiences where this is not the case, but they are probably dealing with different environmental parameters.

·
Registered
50 Posts
if you go look at their site they have a diagram that shows the light projection between the “driving lights” & “fogs”. they have differently designed lenses. the fogs are almost like a diffuser lens so the light only travels so far & spreads it wide. the driving lights push light farther but not wide.

they also offer a “combo” light now that combines both style lens. if you look at that lens you can see the difference side by side.

YA i think when they have a sale again i might snap up a pair. Thanks for the insight (y)

·
Registered
2021 Magnetite Grey Metallic Limited
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Next question to answer: are you blinding the oncoming traffic? That usually the buzz kill. Have great lighting is great, but it sucks to constantly get jerks flashing you thinking your brights are on.
I'm concerned about the same thing. I just drove with them over the weekend and they have a good cut-off, but it's not a defined line like the headlights...there's some bleed. I focused them exactly like the factory ones were and they still bleed a bit on signs while driving. I'm going to tilt them down a little bit more and see if that helps.

·
Registered
54 Posts
From my readings and research it seems between the Sport, Pro, and Max the Pros have the most noticeable weaker cut-offs. The Sport and Max have a cleaner cut off.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Here is a comparison between the Pro and Max

And here is a comparison between Sport and Pro

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am super interested in these lights, specifically the max. Has anyone installed the max on the crosstrek? I am a little concerned about how hot they get based on the comparison linked in the above posts. He says the Max reaches about 210 degrees F in a 60 degree ambient environment. I live in a tropical climate, so my night time temperatures are definitely going to be higher than 60, so my planned use is mainly driving on some dark winding country roads we have here, they'll be off for everything else.

My other concern is the power draw, can the crosstrek handle them without damaging wiring or fuses?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am super interested in these lights, specifically the max. Has anyone installed the max on the crosstrek? I am a little concerned about how hot they get based on the comparison linked in the above posts. He says the Max reaches about 210 degrees F in a 60 degree ambient environment. I live in a tropical climate, so my night time temperatures are definitely going to be higher than 60, so my planned use is mainly driving on some dark winding country roads we have here, they'll be off for everything else.

My other concern is the power draw, can the crosstrek handle them without damaging wiring or fuses?
Although the Max has higher power draw than Sport or Pro, it's still LED and I'm pretty sure it draws a lot less power than the stock incandescent bulbs. Diode site says 38.5W power rating. I just put in the Sport in mine, and it seems bright enough to me, but I drive in the suburbs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts