Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you ask, I know you all want to HEAR what this sounds like....because isn't that what you really want to know? :grin:

I plan to upload a YouTube video for this, just want to use something better than my phone to record it as my phone just does not do it justice. However, here are the pics to let you see what it looks like.
For me, I absolutely LOVE it! I had a place called "Performance Muffler" install this setup here in Las Vegas ( Performance Muffler Shop | Performance Exhaust and Mufflers | Las Vegas, NV ). They by far exceeded my expectations on quality of install.
The muffler is a Magnaflow part #14266 which is a polished cross-flow muffler with one inlet and two outlets. It is marketed for the Camaro/Firebird as that is the design they use. That being said, it is exactly what it needed for the Crosstrek to get the dual tips.
They installed 3 1/2" double wall slash cut Magnaflow stainless tips to complete the project (I could have chosen 3" as well, but the bigger size looked better). They kept everything else stock, even keeping the factory junction where the muffler attaches to the rest of the system.
They also added another exhaust hanger on the passenger side (only had one on that side) and kept the factory locations for the other 3. It is very solid and does not shake or swing when you get in the car, start the engine, or rev the gas. It simply does not move, which is what I told them I wanted.
Total cost out the door: $380

How does it sound? Awesome! It is nice and deep, does not sound raspy (which I personally do not like), and there is no drone at all, even on the highway. Even the owner of the shop said it sounds great and is louder and a deeper tone than he thought it would be. Also said I probably have the only Crosstrek in town with dual exhaust.
He did state I could change the factory resonator to Magnaflow if I wanted it to be louder, but to me its perfect now. You can hear it inside the cabin of the car great, but it does not intrude on the characteristics of the car at all.
I have had Magnaflow on other vehicles and have always loved the look and sound. I am completely happy!

So, what do you all think?

Attachments

·
Banned
604 Posts
Looks well and sounds probably impressively.

But watching the pictures I suppose it diminishs the ground clearance, doesn't it?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

But watching the pictures I suppose it diminishs the ground clearance, doesn't it?
Nope, nothing changed for ground clearance. I took the pictures up at an angle so I can see why you would maybe think that. Everything is tucked under like factory (cannot see muffler from behind, totally behind bumper) and the tailpipes do not sit any lower than the hitch receiver.
The rest of the system stayed stock and its position and height was not changed.

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek Limited
238 Posts
Very Cool. I have a Magnaflow as well with a single outlet and I love it.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Before I jumped in and did this, I would have to hear it on the road in action. Considering the absence of distinct shifting I imagine that the CVT would not allow a robust sound presentation as a regular tranny would with its distinct shifts. In order to get the maximum effect I would think that the paddle shifting would have to be employed. But it looks great!

·
Registered
64 Posts
i think it looks great and probably sounds even better. If i didnt enjoy going offroad so much, i would probably do the same. I do a lot of muddy trails and rocky inclines/declines. if i were to scrape up or dent that exhaust, i would be more than a little upset :)

·
Banned
371 Posts
OP,

That looks BADASS...!!! Congrats...!!!

I have 3 questions...

Pardon my ignorance as I am completely oblivious to the mod/tuning scene, but what are the benefits of a dual exhaust aside from looking (and sounding) cool? Any performance gains? Will it void the factory warranty?

Why did you blur out your license plate? You already have 2 really unique identifiers (the GF decal, which I know can be removed, and the dual exhaust). LOL!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OP,

That looks BADASS...!!! Congrats...!!!

I have 3 questions...

Pardon my ignorance as I am completely oblivious to the mod/tuning scene, but what are the benefits of a dual exhaust aside from looking (and sounding) cool? Any performance gains? Will it void the factory warranty?

Why did you blur out your license plate? You already have 2 really unique identifiers (the GF decal, which I know can be removed, and the dual exhaust). LOL!
As for the factory warranty, does not affect it at all. I actually had my Encore delivery the same day (Wednesday) and they loved what I did and mentioned that it does not affect the warranty at all.
Its a simple mod, so like someone else said, "maybe" adds a couple of HP. Even the person that did my Encore delivery (whom is a big time Subaru tuner), said I probably got a few HP from the change since it flows better than stock.
For me, I did it more for the sound and look than performance gains. If I get a few HP too, just a bonus to me.

As for covering my license plate, I always do that, but not because I am worried about other Subaru owners. The internet is a crazy world and I just do not share what I do not need to. :)

Looks great, cant wait to hear it.. If I ever cross paths with you in this small town, I'll stop and say hi :)
Small town? Too funny since it is growing so fast! Yeah, we certainly should meet up sometime! I missed the Subaru event up at Lee Canyon, wish I could have gone to connect with other Subi owners in the area.

i think it looks great and probably sounds even better. If i didnt enjoy going offroad so much, i would probably do the same. I do a lot of muddy trails and rocky inclines/declines. if i were to scrape up or dent that exhaust, i would be more than a little upset :)
Someone else commented on that too, but truly it does not hang down any differently than stock did, except for the tips which are not any lower than the receiver on the hitch and if you look under the car, the actual exhaust system hangs lower in the middle than where the tips or hitch sits. But yes, would not want to mess it up either!

Looks good, the extra flow has probably resulted in a head-snapping 156 HP.
If I got a gain, its probably in my head....certainly do not feel it on the butt meter. But I have had the car a month and just got past my 1k break in period, so now I can drive the car like I want, but its at the same time as I got the exhaust, so I have nothing to compare it to.

it looks factory with the way the bumper facade has the small arches at each end which make it perfect spot for the tips to hang out. Good work indeed!
Yes, this is probably one of the biggest reasons I love it. Looks factory and just fits great.....thanks for noticing that!

·
Registered
2018 Lifted 6-speed Crosstrek
1,688 Posts

Nope, nothing changed for ground clearance. I took the pictures up at an angle so I can see why you would maybe think that. Everything is tucked under like factory (cannot see muffler from behind, totally behind bumper) and the tailpipes do not sit any lower than the hitch receiver.
The rest of the system stayed stock and its position and height was not changed.
So, yes.. You lost ground clearance.

Just like you lost clearance with the receiver.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So, yes.. You lost ground clearance.

Just like you lost clearance with the receiver.
I guess I must be missing something....not trying to argue but I can clearly see that the mid point of the exhaust system sits lower than the rear tips/receiver and also the rear suspension also sits lower (just looked again to be sure I was not crazy).
Perhaps if I was going down a dragstrip and got the front end in the air (what a sight that would be on a Crosstrek) I would scrape the back, but if I run over large rocks or obstacles it would hit the resonator and rear suspension (from what I can see) long before it would hit that receiver or tail pipes. Perhaps if I was going on a very steep incline and the front was not planted it may be possible to hit, but that would be an extreme case I would think and the receiver would take the hit instead of the bumper.
All but the receiver part of the hitch sits behind the bumper as does all the muffler assembly, so if those things get hit, so would the rear bumper and then I have a lot of damage. I do not plan to get that extreme either, I am no rally driver! LOL!

Reactions: jamesxv

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Before I jumped in and did this, I would have to hear it on the road in action. Considering the absence of distinct shifting I imagine that the CVT would not allow a robust sound presentation as a regular tranny would with its distinct shifts. In order to get the maximum effect I would think that the paddle shifting would have to be employed. But it looks great!
Yeah that's me i'm quoting, but the reason I am really cautious about enhancing the exhaust is the experience I had with my '14 Mustang GT. I installed a set of GT500 performance mufflers in January 2017 and regretted it from the git-go (too dam loud). I should have taken the time to first hear them in person. I listened to many sound clips on YouTube but those sound clips are not accurate in all cases. If I didn't have the burning desire to buy a new Trek, I probably would have put the stocks back on. But in August '17 the trek won out.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Looks great. You also made it work with the hitch... can't wait to hear a sound clip.

Too bad there is no bolt on solution like what you did...

·
Registered
2018 Lifted 6-speed Crosstrek
1,688 Posts
I guess I must be missing something....not trying to argue but I can clearly see that the mid point of the exhaust system sits lower than the rear tips/receiver and also the rear suspension also sits lower (just looked again to be sure I was not crazy).
Perhaps if I was going down a dragstrip and got the front end in the air (what a sight that would be on a Crosstrek) I would scrape the back, but if I run over large rocks or obstacles it would hit the resonator and rear suspension (from what I can see) long before it would hit that receiver or tail pipes. Perhaps if I was going on a very steep incline and the front was not planted it may be possible to hit, but that would be an extreme case I would think and the receiver would take the hit instead of the bumper.
All but the receiver part of the hitch sits behind the bumper as does all the muffler assembly, so if those things get hit, so would the rear bumper and then I have a lot of damage. I do not plan to get that extreme either, I am no rally driver! LOL!
Right, you didnt lose clearance from normal driving but you did lose approach angle.

If you're not planning on going off-roading, it's not a huge deal then :)

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Nicely done. Looks clean and suits the rear end well. Enjoy !

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
That looks clean! Love how the slight bumper arches mate up with the tips. Welds look delicious as well. That muffler shop did a great job for the price.

IMO, the '18 Crosstrek should have dual exhaust factory. While not for any performance factor, the design of the rear is aggressive looking enough to warrant it. Without tips it just looks like something's missing.

Thanks for posting the details of parts used. This is definitely on my list of things to do!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts