Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi guys,

I am wondering if you guys are having the same problem with your new 2020 CVT Crosstreks.

At slow speeds when I am slowing down at a red light, it feels somewhat sluggish or feels like engine breaking. Is anyone else having this problem? Is this common for the first 1000 miles during the break-in period?

I picked it up at the dealership yesterday with 35 miles on it. Drove it for 100 miles (25% highway and 75% city), so 135 miles on the powertrain.

·
Registered
22 Posts
2018 Crosstrek, My wife doesn't feel how weird this thing drives anymore, it now feels "normal" to her. She said it feels better and doesn't notice the CVT shudder under very light accerlation under 15 miles per hour.She also doesn't feel the engine breaking you guys are feeling. The engine breaking doesn't happen all the time for our 18,very infrequent. On the other hand I only drive it like 1 time a month. When I drive it, she feels everything as well. Its because the car taught her how to drive it so all the quirks are minimized.The car didn't get any better. Its definitely feels better "smoother" when she is the one driving .Best way I can try to explain is its like a shady person selling you a car and driving it in a manner for you not to notice its got a problems. I have mentioned the weird traits of the CVT every time it has gone in for service "warranty work" and it checks out fine. Wife still loves this thing.

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,132 Posts
It's really not a problem if it is just the way it is and your wife has learned how to drive it smoother. Subarus are a bit quirky and I have just learned to live with it and adapt my driving. It doesn't drive like my Lincoln MKZ and it doesn't drive like my Acura CL. It just means they are different, not malfunctioning. It reminds me of a nearby quirky art village here in Florida. Their slogan is Keep Gulfport Weird. :)

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
7,340 Posts
I also wonder if the manufacturing tolerances result in some cars being smoother than others while still within spec. For some motor racing events that require production vehicles, they'll wait for an engine to come off the production line that's blueprinted. Maybe @R P got one of those... 😸

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
It's really not a problem if it is just the way it is and your wife has learned how to drive it smoother. Subarus are a bit quirky and I have just learned to live with it and adapt my driving. It doesn't drive like my Lincoln MKZ and it doesn't drive like my Acura CL. It just means they are different, not malfunctioning. It reminds me of a nearby quirky art village here in Florida. Their slogan is Keep Gulfport Weird. :)
I kind of don't mind it. I heard that engine breaking puts a lot of stress on the gears in the engine and transmission over time which can decrease the life of the two. Other than that, I can live with it if that's not the case.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A lot of cars with “regular” automatics do this as well, my previous Ford Escape did, part of it is to be closer to the right gear should you need to accelerate before you actually stop, I am sure the rest has to do with emissions or something. People who drive manuals often use engine braking when they are coming to a stop, and all the manufactures suggest using engine braking on long steep hills to avoid over heating your brakes (especially when towing). I do not think it is going to cause issues with the transmission or engine. If you really hate it you could put the transmission into neutral when you are coasting down (not recommending this but it would stop the issue). I never noticed this engine braking in my car until you mentioned it, and it is very mild engine braking, so I guess I must have one of the good ones too ( maybe it’s a Canadian thing, lol)

·
Registered
2018 XV 2.0iS CVT in Dark Blue
190 Posts
Yes. And, only really noticed it the other night doing lots of slow speed stop/starts in heavy traffic.
It didn't seem abnormal just different because of the change from my normal driving conditions which is usually highway driving with little traffic congestion.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts