Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to p/u a new 2016 Black on Black Hybrid Touring. However, I just learned that new orders are no longer accepted by Subaru and when I spoke with the Subaru corporate office they said, "Subaru will return to the hybrid market in the future!" Therefore, would you go thru with the deal, get a non hybrid instead or look elsewhere. My concern is resale down the road and possible service issues in the future for a car they no longer support? Thoughts?

·
Registered
22 Posts
There's the same rumor going on in this thread:
http://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/...-discussion/93185-end-crosstrek-hybrid-4.html

Perhaps that will give you a bit more insight. It's still member to member speculation though. I sure hope the rumors are wrong.

I think the best course of action in order to get a definitive answer is to contact Subaru corporate through email. That way you can possibly get it in writing.
Customer Support Pages

Last time I had a question, they got back to me within 24 hours.

·
Registered
29 Posts
In my view, Subaru does not really offer a true incentive with the Hybrid in terms of gas mileage. The Hybrid Crosstrek's fuel efficiency is not significantly higher than that of its gasoline counterpart, so I tend to think that Subaru has plans to make significant improvements in this area. If this is in fact the case, then the resale value down the road may be a bit of an issue.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think the best course of action in order to get a definitive answer is to contact Subaru corporate through email. That way you can possibly get it in writing.
Customer Support Pages

Last time I had a question, they got back to me within 24 hours.
I could be dead wrong here, but I believe Subaru is not going to reveal plans in writing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I could be dead wrong here, but I believe Subaru is not going to reveal plans in writing.
I guess no one will know until someone tries lol. I am tempted to ask myself.
II just learned that new orders are no longer accepted by Subaru and when I spoke with the Subaru corporate office they said, "Subaru will return to the hybrid market in the future!"
If she got verbal, but vague confirmation of the plans from a Subaru rep, I don't think it would be an extremely far stretch to assume they would give some info out via email.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I am about to p/u a new 2016 Black on Black Hybrid Touring. However, I just learned that new orders are no longer accepted by Subaru and when I spoke with the Subaru corporate office they said, "Subaru will return to the hybrid market in the future!" Therefore, would you go thru with the deal, get a non hybrid instead or look elsewhere. My concern is resale down the road and possible service issues in the future for a car they no longer support? Thoughts?
If you like the car and want the car, buy it. Subaru will still warranty and do repairs on it in the future. Just because a certain model is no longer in production does not mean the manufacturer will stop servicing the vehicle.

However, if you are purchasing the Crosstrek Hybrid for its resale value, than I would suggest looking elsewhere. This car is not an investment. Purchase the Hybrid and drive it for 200,000 miles and enjoy your time with the car.

Reactions: dstmark

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
3,843 Posts
I think current Crosstrek hybrid was always seen as sort of an interim, first-generation product, intended mostly to get the Subaru name in the market and serve as a placeholder while they developed a newer-generation hybrid tech. It was going to be replaced with a second-generation hybrid in MY 2018 or so anyway -- so the current production halt just moved up the inevitable timetable a little bit.

As for whether you should still buy a 2016 hybrid ... it probably depends on your priorities. I wouldn't worry about parts/service availability, but there is a chance that the resale value of the hybrid will now drop a little faster than it otherwise might have. If that's important to you, or if you normally just keep vehicles for a couple years, it's definitely something to think about. On the other hand, it you're likely to keep the car for a long time and are a strong fan of the hybrid's features, then there's no reason not to still go for it. Subarus in general hold their value really well, and I don't think things will be hugely different with the hybrid.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Car manufacturers get credit's in many states when they produce low emission cars. The credits are applied the regular line up of vehicles. I don't remember what the credit implies, but it is directly tied to how they can sell their regular line up in those certain states. Without low emission vehicles in their lineup car manufacturers can be under a competitive disadvantage so it's in their best interest to offer hybrid plev etc vehicles. Given that Subaru is moving to a new global platform for all it's up coming cars, it's likely a good bet that there will be a new hybrid in the offing. Wheither it's a Crosstrek will remain to be seen

·
Registered
22 Posts
I wrote to Subaru corporate yesterday. This was my message.
I heard that Subaru isn't accepting offers to build Crosstrek Hybrids.

Is Subaru no longer going to offer the Crosstrek Hybrid in the future?

What will happen to those of us who already own these vehicles? Will we still have supportive service if we bring them into your dealerships?
This is their reply:
Subaru of America said:
Thank you for taking the time to contact Subaru of America, Inc. I hope that you are enjoying your 2015 XV Crosstrek Hybrid Touring.

Subaru is no longer accepting orders for 2016 Crosstrek Hybrid models. We have not announced plans to discontinue offering Crosstrek Hybrid models. Regardless, Mr. HybridTrek, we and Subaru retailers are here to support and service our Crosstrek Hybrid models well into the future.

If you need any future assistance, please let us know.
As expected, corporate emails are usually vague, but from what I am inferring, there are plans for a future hybrid model. Hopefully their future hybrids are going to be even better than what they currently have. Adding hybrid drive to the lineup increases the "green appeal" that is already branded among many Subaru owners and future owners. At the same time, it will offer a cushion for upcoming CAFE restrictions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts