Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
13,279 Posts
Actually on the road, the CVT works better for mountainous area due to gear ration is higher. I believe the key for unmodified engine is to get the latest ECM update (I find this play the biggest change on mid rpm driveability), make sure the fuel system is good (you can use Techron, Redline SI-1, CRC GDI Intake Cleaner or any PEA based cleaner), use good quality synthetic oil and the sparkplug is clean. If you want to modify exhaust, you may try STI exhaust, which at least has been tuned by Subaru. So far I do not have any power issue up to 6200 feet.
Same here - we live at sea level, close to the beach. It's not noticeable going to the nearest mountain resort, Big Bear, at 6,700ft but is when we get up to 10K or so in the Sierras.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I get the dyno search. I live an hour from Dallas and even finding a dyno for a motorcycle was all but impossible, then the two I found were not for rent.
I ended up in way down south Louisiana at a forum members shop. We spoke on several occasions and being a very stand up guy, let me in for a grins and giggles run one afternoon after closing
I never expected the results I got and knew there were gains, but not what was showing up. I was mostly looking to cool off the engine, and did, while gaining near 18% in fuel economy, not expected. I was thrilled with just that.
Nice to hear! I had no idea there would be such a shortage of potential Test Facilities being fairly close to Tampa. I've been told I would probably have better luck looking in the Orlando area since the big Speedway is there or down closer to Miami where there's just a whole lot more people and I hate it LOL. Thankfully in my post I was not looking to prove anything to anyone just to say that I found the Crawford Performance power blocks were good to their word, it's not a whole lot but I can actually feel the difference driving and that's all that really counts in the end I guess. I am enjoying the Pedal Commander throttle response controller also though it really is just a bit of trickery LOL. Having played with it more at it's different settings I have found a few where it really does seem to pretty much take out that initial lag when depressing the throttle and seems to ramp up in RPM faster in the mid-range than it did before. Obviously a throttle response controller cannot affect the total engine power at all, but if it lets me get it delivered faster I'm pretty happy LOL.

·
Registered
6 Posts
At 11000 feet, the air density is only about 2/3 what it is at sea level, so both you and your car are getting about a third less oxygen with every breath or intake stroke. The cat won't help that; only a turbo or supercharger could.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
13,279 Posts
At 11000 feet, the air density is only about 2/3 what it is at sea level, so both you and your car are getting about a third less oxygen with every breath or intake stroke. The cat won't help that; only a turbo or supercharger could.
Exactly, and if it's warm, the density altitude will be even higher. If I lived at a high elevation I'd look for a car with a turbo.

Reactions: BassNotes

·
Super-Duper Moderator
1,091 Posts
Note, OP has not visited the forums sine the thread was created 8 months ago...

imo, the only reason to remove a (broken) catalytic converter is to replace it with a functional one. Or if going racing, and only racing... unless the sanctioning body requires at least a High Flow version...

C.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts