Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrec Premium
72 Posts
Just got back from the dyno shop. Original horsepower before free flow air filter and power blocks was 154. This morning measured 165. Numbers don't lie and both of my mechanics and I all felt the Improvement in driving it after the power blocks were installed. Gave me exactly what I was hoping it would - just a small boost in power. God I love that car LOL. There are other examples online showing Dyno runs before and after power blocks. Once the warranty is fully up I will probably have the Colorado guy do a tune for me.
Had to look those up. 10HP is pretty good for the intake velocity gain they give. Maybe it is the percentage of gain, but 10 HP isn't something people normally feel in the seat of the pants. Wasn't saying it wasn't there, but feeling it is not something most can do.
I could "feel" 20 HP gains on my bike, but never in a car or pickup, and 20 is a lot more than 10. Maybe I'm just not sensitive enough to it.. LOL
Where did you get them? Link? $300 isn't a bad investment for 10 HP.

Reactions: AstroKats

·
Registered
17 Posts
Had to look those up. 10HP is pretty good for the intake velocity gain they give. Maybe it is the percentage of gain, but 10 HP isn't something people normally feel in the seat of the pants. Wasn't saying it wasn't there, but feeling it is not something most can do.
I could "feel" 20 HP gains on my bike, but never in a car or pickup, and 20 is a lot more than 10. Maybe I'm just not sensitive enough to it.. LOL
Where did you get them? Link? $300 isn't a bad investment for 10 HP.
Like I said you can find some Reports online with dyno results even though they aren't shown on Crawford Performance's website. I bought them direct from pedal Commander for $259. Approximately a 3-hour install doing it myself, but since I don't have a decent environment right now to work on cars, I got my mechanic to agree to a not-to-exceed price of 1 and 1/2 hours labor to install them. I am a researcher by nature and spent a lot of time over the last six months looking at what mods on a Subaru will actually make any real difference. There are darn few I can assure you LOL. But I do love my Subie overall, first one I've ever owned.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
13,281 Posts
Like I said you can find some Reports online with dyno results even though they aren't shown on Pedal Commander's website. I bought them direct from pedal Commander for $259. Approximately a 3-hour install doing it myself, but since I don't have a decent environment right now to work on cars, I got my mechanic to agree to a not-to-exceed price of 1 and 1/2 hours labor to install them. I am a researcher by nature and spent a lot of time over the last six months looking at what mods on a Subaru will actually make any real difference. There are darn few I can assure you LOL. But I do love my Subie overall, first one I've ever owned.
Pedal Commander is a throttle control. Can you post a link to the "power blocks" you're referring to...?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Pedal Commander is a throttle control. Can you post a link to the "power blocks" you're referring to...?
Been a technician for over 50 years and I know exactly what all of the throttle response controls are they just modify the pwm signal going from the throttle to the ECU, pretty simple process. Power blocks are made by Crawford Performance and their website is www.crawfordperformance.com
My mechanic is a crabby old Greek guy with a very low opinion of the quality of most aftermarket Performance Products. When he said he was really impressed with these I almost fell over LOL!

·
Prefers black cats
13,281 Posts
Been a technician for over 50 years and I know exactly what all of the throttle response controls are they just modify the pwm signal going from the throttle to the ECU, pretty simple process. Power blocks are made by Crawford Performance and their website is www.crawfordperformance.com
My mechanic is a crabby old Greek guy with a very low opinion of the quality of most aftermarket Performance Products. When he said he was really impressed with these I almost fell over LOL!
No need to be snippy...

Pedal Commander is a brand and those of us who have them assume that's what you meant. As far as I'm aware, Pedal Commander doesn't sell power blocks and Crawford doesn't have a "pedal commander". I think you're referring to two separate companies and distinct products. However, I've been wrong before... 😸

·
Registered
17 Posts
No need to be snippy...

Pedal Commander is a brand and those of us who have them assume that's what you meant. As far as I'm aware, Pedal Commander doesn't sell power blocks and Crawford doesn't have a "pedal commander". I think you're referring to two separate companies and distinct products. However, I've been wrong before... 😸
I assure you I was not being snippy, just making sure you understood that I know the difference between products. If you chose to make my comment snippy so be it LOL. I have added both products to my vehicle, and mentioned them both in the same post but you are right neither one sells the same product as the other one.

·
Prefers black cats
13,281 Posts
I just found this post confusing as I don't see that Pedal Commander sells power blocks and what they do sell is a five minute install to the accelerator pedal, not 3 hours. Also, that I wouldn't expect a Pedal Commander to affect dyno results, it just remaps the throttle.

Like I said you can find some Reports online with dyno results even though they aren't shown on Pedal Commander's website. I bought them direct from pedal Commander for $259. Approximately a 3-hour install doing it myself, but since I don't have a decent environment right now to work on cars, I got my mechanic to agree to a not-to-exceed price of 1 and 1/2 hours labor to install them. I am a researcher by nature and spent a lot of time over the last six months looking at what mods on a Subaru will actually make any real difference. There are darn few I can assure you LOL. But I do love my Subie overall, first one I've ever owned.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Crosstrek Premium
1,424 Posts
OMG guys.

Crawford sells the power blocks. We've discussed them on here before.

Pedal commander is a different thing from a different company.

·
Prefers black cats
13,281 Posts
OMG guys.

Yeah, we know this. I posted that. This is also a site to understand what's out there, what has worked for folks, etc.

For us, the Pedal Commander has worked. No more HP but the car feels peppier and we like it.

I'd like to hear from @CappyC if any of the other mods have had an appreciable difference. I see a challenge regarding the PC dyno results and other claims regarding HP. It's not making sense to me and, hopefully, @CappyC can fill in the blanks...

·
Registered
17 Posts
No need to be snippy...

Muy bad - just got back and saw I erroneously put the wrong manufacturer in the original comment....just got back on and edited it. I shouldn't post until I have fully awakened lol!

·
Prefers black cats
13,281 Posts
Muy bad - just got back and saw I erroneously put the wrong manufacturer in the original comment....just got back on and edited it. I shouldn't post until I have fully awakened lol!
No worries! I shouldn't post until after my third coffee... and never after my third beer... 😸

Reactions: CappyC

·
Registered
17 Posts
OMG guys.

LOL we got that straightened out already...I accidentally put the wrong company name in my original comment... I need to not comment on any posts in the morning until I've had at least my 3rd cup of coffee LOL

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrec Premium
72 Posts
Like I said you can find some Reports online with dyno results even though they aren't shown on Crawford Performance's website. I bought them direct from pedal Commander for $259. Approximately a 3-hour install doing it myself, but since I don't have a decent environment right now to work on cars, I got my mechanic to agree to a not-to-exceed price of 1 and 1/2 hours labor to install them. I am a researcher by nature and spent a lot of time over the last six months looking at what mods on a Subaru will actually make any real difference. There are darn few I can assure you LOL. But I do love my Subie overall, first one I've ever owned.
Just watched a video of the install. That seems to be a lot of dance for very little grape. The blocks and the air filter are about $300, any way you look at it though.I suppose if the increase is important to you , then that is the way to go since the options seem to be very lean. I've used this sort of device on carbureted engines, but never tried one on a EFI engine. They seem to claim the same numbers across the spectrum.
I still find it difficult to believe the gains are enough for "everyone" to feel. I guess you have runs pre and post mod on that dyno? It is possible, but doesn't happen often. I wish I had a competent shop in the area I could depend on, but haven't found them if they exist. Not ready to drop $500-$600 for the gains, and it looks more involved than my limited stamina and dexterity can tackle.
Oh well it was a thought. Good luck with the rest of your endeavor.

Reactions: CappyC

·
Prefers black cats
13,281 Posts
Just watched a video of the install. That seems to be a lot of dance for very little grape. The blocks and the air filter are about $300, any way you look at it though.I suppose if the increase is important to you , then that is the way to go since the options seem to be very lean. I've used this sort of device on carbureted engines, but never tried one on a EFI engine. They seem to claim the same numbers across the spectrum.
I still find it difficult to believe the gains are enough for "everyone" to feel. I guess you have runs pre and post mod on that dyno? It is possible, but doesn't happen often. I wish I had a competent shop in the area I could depend on, but haven't found them if they exist. Not ready to drop $500-$600 for the gains, and it looks more involved than my limited stamina and dexterity can tackle.
Ours are GDI - the fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for your comment, and yes, my post stated the before and after dyno horsepower readings on the power blocks. Because I was getting time on the Dyno as a favor, we could only do a total of four pulls. So we did two pre-mod, and two post-mod with nearly identical results. Having worked with a number of race car people out in California for several years and done a little driving at Willow Springs Raceway, in my direct experience, things like tuning intakes and exhausts do their magic regardless of carburetor or fuel injection. Getting the right mathematics for proper airflow velocity and minimal resonance can make measurable improvements on how much air gets stuffed into, and effectively removed, from the cylinders LOL. In my case I was only mildly displeased with the lack of power since I had researched Subarus for many years before actually getting one and knew what I was getting into. My hope was simply to boost the horsepower by somewhere in the amount of 10 to 15 if possible, and get rid of the fly by wire lag in the throttle. I was willing to spend a maximum of about $1000 to achieve those results. Between the air filter, the power blocks, and the throttle response controller, I have spent $807 total, including being lazy and paying my mechanic to install the power blocks LOL. The car is now significantly more fun to drive so I'm totally satisfied and achieved exactly what I hoped I would get out of it. Perhaps when the new turbo versions of the boxer have been out for a few years and hopefully proven themselves reliable I will swap out for one of those LOL. Having been in technology for over 50 years I have learned to let others be the beta testers on all new products pretty much. I wait until they are slightly more mature to adopt them LOL.

·
Registered
2019 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
481 Posts
@CappyC can you post the graphs of the dyno runs? The only one I've seen was from Chicken's crosstrek, noone bothers to dyno their Crosstrek - would be quite useful!

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrec Premium
72 Posts
Thanks for your comment, and yes, my post stated the before and after dyno horsepower readings on the power blocks. Because I was getting time on the Dyno as a favor, we could only do a total of four pulls. So we did two pre-mod, and two post-mod with nearly identical results. Having worked with a number of race car people out in California for several years and done a little driving at Willow Springs Raceway, in my direct experience, things like tuning intakes and exhausts do their magic regardless of carburetor or fuel injection. Getting the right mathematics for proper airflow velocity and minimal resonance can make measurable improvements on how much air gets stuffed into, and effectively removed, from the cylinders LOL. In my case I was only mildly displeased with the lack of power since I had researched Subarus for many years before actually getting one and knew what I was getting into. My hope was simply to boost the horsepower by somewhere in the amount of 10 to 15 if possible, and get rid of the fly by wire lag in the throttle. I was willing to spend a maximum of about $1000 to achieve those results. Between the air filter, the power blocks, and the throttle response controller, I have spent $807 total, including being lazy and paying my mechanic to install the power blocks LOL. The car is now significantly more fun to drive so I'm totally satisfied and achieved exactly what I hoped I would get out of it. Perhaps when the new turbo versions of the boxer have been out for a few years and hopefully proven themselves reliable I will swap out for one of those LOL. Having been in technology for over 50 years I have learned to let others be the beta testers on all new products pretty much. I wait until they are slightly more mature to adopt them LOL.
OK, you keep adding to the mod list. Not that it changed the original claim, but now you are getting close to the $100 per pony price tag that is more what one would expect for cost.
Still, the throttle response would be a seat of the pants experience as long as the driver knew what to expect. You are right, there is a slight lag vs what I'm used to, but I still think the Toyota a bit more refined in a lot of ways.
Still happy with the choice of going Subaru, I just hope it stays that way. This forum kinda scares me, but then that is what folks do, get on a forum and ask or complain.
Happily, most here are asking, but some of the complaints seem legit and expensive. Time will tell. I've already been in an oill thread, a tire pressure thread, and a fuel octane thread. Fun times.

Reactions: Sarang

·
Registered
17 Posts
@CappyC can you post the graphs of the dyno runs? The only one I've seen was from Chicken's crosstrek, noone bothers to dyno their Crosstrek - would be quite useful!
Sadly I am not able to do so. Could not find any place near me that had a Dyno and would rent time on it. One shop has a Dyno but will only use it on their own performance builds. Long story short after some digging and begging got someone to let me come in on the promise of complete anonymity. I would love to be able to get printed documentation even if only of the current horsepower after mods were done. Looking north of me now to see if somebody has a dyno they rent time on. There must be someone somewhere lol. Florida's weird LOL!

·
Registered
800 Posts
This was essentially what I was looking for, a bit more confirmation that it wasn't necessarily the CVT. I went to the Subaru dealer and they offered no advice, except to go to the two mechanics that stated the car was weak because of the CVT. Oh well. Thanks.
Actually on the road, the CVT works better for mountainous area due to gear ration is higher. I believe the key for unmodified engine is to get the latest ECM update (I find this play the biggest change on mid rpm driveability), make sure the fuel system is good (you can use Techron, Redline SI-1, CRC GDI Intake Cleaner or any PEA based cleaner), use good quality synthetic oil and the sparkplug is clean. If you want to modify exhaust, you may try STI exhaust, which at least has been tuned by Subaru. So far I do not have any power issue up to 6200 feet.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrec Premium
72 Posts
Sadly I am not able to do so. Could not find any place near me that had a Dyno and would rent time on it. One shop has a Dyno but will only use it on their own performance builds. Long story short after some digging and begging got someone to let me come in on the promise of complete anonymity. I would love to be able to get printed documentation even if only of the current horsepower after mods were done. Looking north of me now to see if somebody has a dyno they rent time on. There must be someone somewhere lol. Florida's weird LOL!
I get the dyno search. I live an hour from Dallas and even finding a dyno for a motorcycle was all but impossible, then the two I found were not for rent.
I ended up in way down south Louisiana at a forum members shop. We spoke on several occasions and being a very stand up guy, let me in for a grins and giggles run one afternoon after closing
I never expected the results I got and knew there were gains, but not what was showing up. I was mostly looking to cool off the engine, and did, while gaining near 18% in fuel economy, not expected. I was thrilled with just that.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts