Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
13,280 Posts
I'll give the Crosstrek credit though, I've pushed to over 16,500 feet... it gets there, just slowly.
OK, now I'm impressed - we've had ours close to 11K in the Sierras and I though that was something!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Don't waste your time and money on the exhaust.It has plenty of capacity to move the exhaust gasses out of the engine at sea level.At your altitude,the problem is getting air into the engine.There just isn't enough oxygen,to allow enough fuel to be put into the engine,to get the desired amount of power you desire.If it,air and fuel,doesn't go into the engine then you don't have to worry about getting it out.

You have 4 options.1.Accept your cars power as is and just drive it like they did when cars had even less power available.2.Add a turbo or super charger to get more air into the engine to get more power.3.Trade it in on something like a Forrester XT that already has a turbo.4.Move to a lower elevation where there is more oxygen to work with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
since you have a cvt are you manually shifting it though the fake gears? or just leaving it in drive?

if you manually shift it you can keep it in the power band which will help some. your motor is basically just a air compressor so by keeping the RPM higher your moving more air though the motor which in turn creates more power.
I tried manuel once, but it didn't seem to be any different than automatic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Don't waste your time and money on the exhaust.It has plenty of capacity to move the exhaust gasses out of the engine at sea level.At your altitude,the problem is getting air into the engine.There just isn't enough oxygen,to allow enough fuel to be put into the engine,to get the desired amount of power you desire.If it,air and fuel,doesn't go into the engine then you don't have to worry about getting it out.

You have 4 options.1.Accept your cars power as is and just drive it like they did when cars had even less power available.2.Add a turbo or super charger to get more air into the engine to get more power.3.Trade it in on something like a Forrester XT that already has a turbo.4.Move to a lower elevation where there is more oxygen to work with.
I've resigned to option 1. I won't get to do option 4 for a couple more years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I'd do a couple things(not knowing the miles on the car):
1) Have both recalls(ECU software update for coil temps, updated pcv from plastic to steel version) done at a minimum if it has not.
2) If have garbage quality petrol as we do in the PNW, install a new set of plugs(NGK) and throw a bottle of chevron techon in the petrol tank before filling up with premium(this will help).
3) Make sure your air filter is relatively clean and of decent quality(IE reasonable flow rate).
I also changed out the garbage oil the dealer here uses as the car runs quite rough on it. Changed over to Castrol syntec 5w-30 and improved the running immediately afterwards(and installed the proper amount in it!). As others have mentioned, cat bypass pipes have their issues. I've installed a set of bypass pipes on one of our Boxster's, and it does make quite an improvement with no issues(cel lights or the like, passes emissions with flying colors). Having said that, the car has 4 cats, and your only getting rid of 2. There is definitely more power, less weight(very weighty). There is only 1 large cat on the Crosstrek. With a bypass pipe, you would probably need an O2 sensor spacer and a flash of the software to avoid CEL's. Would be interesting to see what a bypass pipe would do for the car.
You might consider some of the muffler delete options out there. I would not do a straight pipe, but there are some with much smaller, better flowing, and much lighter weight mufflers out there. The stock factory muffler is pretty heavy and restrictive.
Regards
Thank you. The car's only got 9700 miles on it. I'm currently waiting on Subaru America to assist with pushing Subaru in Bolivia to do the recall maintenance on the car. Subaru here won't move a muscle they figure out who's going to pay for it. I've considered buying some of the techon, but how often would I have to put it in?... with every fillup? Considering it's not sold here, I'd have to have it shipped, and then it starts getting very expensive. Again, thanks for the tips, more to think about.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Have you talked to the Subaru dealer there? I don't know that they would have any solutions, but at least you could confirm that there's not a mechanical issue with your car that's causing it to perform less well than other XVs down there, and that would be worth finding out.

It's not the CVT or any other one part of the overall vehicle package -- it's just that all internal-combustion engines inherently lose a lot of their power at that altitude. Modern fuel injection systems are actually able to better-handle altitude changes than cars built a couple generations ago were.

I don't remember the vehicle I was in, but I remember going to Chacaltaya when I was down there, and by the time we got up to about 15,000 feet the vehicle was barely able to move. We ended up walking the last couple of miles. :)
This was essentially what I was looking for, a bit more confirmation that it wasn't necessarily the CVT. I went to the Subaru dealer and they offered no advice, except to go to the two mechanics that stated the car was weak because of the CVT. Oh well. Thanks.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Thank you. The car's only got 9700 miles on it. I'm currently waiting on Subaru America to assist with pushing Subaru in Bolivia to do the recall maintenance on the car. Subaru here won't move a muscle they figure out who's going to pay for it. I've considered buying some of the techon, but how often would I have to put it in?... with every fillup? Considering it's not sold here, I'd have to have it shipped, and then it starts getting very expensive. Again, thanks for the tips, more to think about.
OK, our dealer is the same way and refuses to warranty or cover anything. Rather than go through the aggravation with them(been there, done that already), the plugs(about $90 in the states for factory NGK's) were shot on our car at 12k after the recalls. I knew they would not warranty them and the car needed to be righted. On the techron, you'd only need a bottle of it and the difference shows up quite fast. Too bad, as the stuff is $5 at Walmart in the states. Maybe get a friend to send you a bottle? After the car started to run properly(IE smooth enough to balance a champagne flute on the intake)again, the 2.0 4cyl engine has a decent amount of performance. I'm sure there is more to be had out of the exhaust(IE headers, high flow cat, improved/lightened muffler, etc..) in these cars. Best of luck with it.
Regards

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
506 Posts
Do NOT remove your CAT.

Under federal law, the maximum fine for removing a catalytic converter from a
vehicle is $2,750 per vehicle. The person who was responsible for taking the
catalyst off would also be required to put an appropriate catalyst back on.

Your state may have other penalties.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Crosstrek Premium
1,424 Posts
Do NOT remove your CAT.

Under federal law, the maximum fine for removing a catalytic converter from a
vehicle is $2,750 per vehicle. The person who was responsible for taking the
catalyst off would also be required to put an appropriate catalyst back on.

Your state may have other penalties.
OP is in Bolivia.

·
Registered
2014 XV Crosstrek Hybrid Touring
61 Posts
Living in Aurora, CO and driving over the Eisenhower Tunnel at 11,158 feet (3,401 m) several times a month, this loss of power is normal for my 2014 XV Crosstrek even with the electric engine assist.

As has been said may times in these responses, that altitude is hard on most vehicles sold in the US. And has been with any of the 16 vehicles I have owned while living in Colorado. From Datsun 240zs to Cadillac Eldorados to the current XV Crosstrek

The advise given to the OP to sell and get a new vehicle seems harsh as he had to import the 2018 Crosstrek from the US. So guessing that importing a high preformance vehicle from the US would be expensive and would not have any service as I suspect there are no dealers of this high performance kind of vehicle in Bolivia.

Also suggesting a new Subaru does not make sense as he can't get service from the Subaru dealer in Bolivia, so wouldn't expect that he could get any competent service with a new Subaru imported from the US.

This reasoning is assuming that he imports vehicles from the US because of issues with the vehicles for sale new in Bolivia.

·
Prefers black cats
13,280 Posts
Living in Aurora, CO and driving over the Eisenhower Tunnel at 11,158 feet (3,401 m) several times a month, this loss of power is normal for my 2014 XV Crosstrek even with the electric engine assist.

As has been said may times in these responses, that altitude is hard on most vehicles sold in the US. And has been with any of the 16 vehicles I have owned while living in Colorado. From Datsun 240zs to Cadillac Eldorados to the current XV Crosstrek

The advise given to the OP to sell and get a new vehicle seems harsh as he had to import the 2018 Crosstrek from the US. So guessing that importing a high preformance vehicle from the US would be expensive and would not have any service as I suspect there are no dealers of this high performance kind of vehicle in Bolivia.

Also suggesting a new Subaru does not make sense as he can't get service from the Subaru dealer in Bolivia, so wouldn't expect that he could get any competent service with a new Subaru imported from the US.

This reasoning is assuming that he imports vehicles from the US because of issues with the vehicles for sale new in Bolivia.
A well-reasoned response! We're about as close to sea level as one could be and it's certainly a challenge up in the Sierras, going from sea level to 10K+ in a day...

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
4,628 Posts
Usually when our members have US-market cars overseas, it's because they landed a foreign job posting of some sort, and the car was shipped over along with other household effects.

I got my 2013 up to 11,991 feet, and I felt the power was still acceptable at that altitude. I'll have to get back to the Colorado mountain passes with the 2.5 one of these days, to see how it does ...

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Crosstrek XV
5 Posts
I'm in low elevation Colorado at 7,000k. I've done ok with my 2014 Crosstrek going over the local 11k passes, but I'm already at cruising speed. I echo others in selling it and getting something else. I love my Crosstrek, but she is not zippy.

·
Prefers black cats
13,280 Posts
The different perspectives expressed here are probably to do with the change in elevation (compared to where one is used to driving) rather than the actual elevation. If you live at 6,000ft in Colorado and go up to 11,000ft that's only 5K of gain. We don't notice a problem going from sea level to Big Bear at 7K but sure notice it when going over 10K in the Sierras in the summer.

Whether it's warm or cold also makes a huge difference, as we've discussed here before i.e. the Density Altitude. When you're at 10K and it's 80F, that's like being at 14K.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello all,

I don't know much about cars, but find myself in a situation needing help, badly. I live in very high altitude (11,000+ feet), and my 2018 Crosstrek had no power up here at all. I've been searching on different things I can do to get a bit more power, and one was to take out the catalytic converter. Will this make a difference? What could I expect to happen with the oxygen sensor(s), will they stay lit forever and drive me insane?
Another thing I was told to do was change the air/gas ratio and use higher octane gas, but that is not an option here as the gas is essentially garbage here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
I have a 2019 CrossTrek in Florida, base model. All of my research on improving the horsepower has shown that Subaru has already squeezed almost as much as you can get out of that 2.0L boxer engine. Changed out the stock air filter to an AEM dry filter and got a very slight performance increase. This morning installed the Crawford Performance Power Block intake risers that promise ~10-15 HP improvement. Pleased to see that I have a noticeable improvement in performance. It isn't huge and I wasn't expecting or looking for huge, but it is definitely noticeable. Considered also going with a cat-back performance exhaust, but since the best I could probably hope to gain from that would be more noise and only a couple of horsepower for the cost I am keeping the stock unit.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrec Premium
72 Posts
I have a 2019 CrossTrek in Florida, base model. All of my research on improving the horsepower has shown that Subaru has already squeezed almost as much as you can get out of that 2.0L boxer engine. Changed out the stock air filter to an AEM dry filter and got a very slight performance increase. This morning installed the Crawford Performance Power Block intake risers that promise ~10-15 HP improvement. Pleased to see that I have a noticeable improvement in performance. It isn't huge and I wasn't expecting or looking for huge, but it is definitely noticeable. Considered also going with a cat-back performance exhaust, but since the best I could probably hope to gain from that would be more noise and only a couple of horsepower for the cost I am keeping the stock unit.
If you can feel 10 HP increase, you are being optimistic. It has been covered and without a tune any intake or exhaust modification will mess up the exhaust speeds and volumes. If it isn't doing it for you and new automobile is in your future.
Good Luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you can feel 10 HP increase, you are being optimistic. It has been covered and without a tune any intake or exhaust modification will mess up the exhaust speeds and volumes. If it isn't doing it for you and new automobile is in your future.
Good Luck
Just got back from the dyno shop. Original horsepower before free flow air filter and power blocks was 154. This morning measured 165. Numbers don't lie and both of my mechanics and I all felt the Improvement in driving it after the power blocks were installed. Gave me exactly what I was hoping it would - just a small boost in power. God I love that car LOL. There are other examples online showing Dyno runs before and after power blocks. Once the warranty is fully up I will probably have the Colorado guy do a tune for me.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts