Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use Aquapel on the windshield, and Rain-x washer fluid. Never any problems. Anyone who claims there is, probably is either putting something on the camera lens's them selves, or doesn't like Rain-X to begin with.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
7,026 Posts

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
I don't subscribe to WSJ either, but I get it in my Apple News and I must not be at the limit this month. Here's a Verge article form 10/04/2019 with some sobering video from AAA Public affairs, and this in broad daylight!

Had a near miss today. Some idiot walked out in front of me from in between parked cars. I was only doing about 20mph and was able to stop in time but Eyesight was flashing and beeping so it caught it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Is the front windscreen treated or designed specifically for Eyesight? Using Rain X is throwing a variable that Subaru hasn't incorporated into their system. If they came out in the manual that you must use Rain X all well and good but I believe theres enough to say using Rain X is still questionable. Im amazed at when Eyesight shuts down but shocked when it corrects in a pure crap situation. Dry road salt shuts it down fast. Back to the windscreen... There are times, with the correct sunlight at the right angle, the windscreen looks weird. Its clean in and out but it looks like billions of fibers. I check it, no fibers, spotless.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ok, ok.... As pointed out elsewhere in this thread is the beading attribute of Rain X. The Eyesight system was designed for normal raindrop attributes which is to splatter or spread light. With Rain X with its beading of rain, you actually can get thousands of little lenses, like little magnifying lenses which concentrate rather than diffuse light. I can understand this from the cameras perspective because Ive been into photography for some time. That could be the whole problem Subaru wants to avoid. We need to throw this out there to one of those million dollar car talk shows. Instead of a smear of light, Eyesight gets a thousand points of light which it may interpret as brake lights, whatever. What do you think? Pretty good bs, yes?

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Is the front windscreen treated or designed specifically for Eyesight? Using Rain X is throwing a variable that Subaru hasn't incorporated into their system. If they came out in the manual that you must use Rain X all well and good but I believe theres enough to say using Rain X is still questionable. Im amazed at when Eyesight shuts down but shocked when it corrects in a pure crap situation. Dry road salt shuts it down fast. Back to the windscreen... There are times, with the correct sunlight at the right angle, the windscreen looks weird. Its clean in and out but it looks like billions of fibers. I check it, no fibers, spotless.
I've not read anywhere that there's anything special about the windshield for Eyesight but they will have designed and calibrated eyesight to work with that windshield, so if you add a coating or stick something in the field of view of the cameras it could affect how Eyesight interprets what it's seeing.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Anecdotally, I've come to the conclusion (and I started this thread) that there is no problem using Rain-X when properly applied and buffed (to eliminate any hazing or smudges). All Eyesight functions seem to work just fine. I think it's all just Subaru's lawyers doing CYA with new technology. Certainly, they wouldn't recommend the use of a non-Subaru product nor would they open themselves to liability by testing such a thing but there appears to be zero detriment, either. And to EddieZ2--no, Rain-X does exactly the opposite of what you said--it causes the rain to form larger beads of water and roll-off the windscreen via the outside flow of air over the car. It basically helps to evacuate the water from the windscreen. Subaru's (and any manufacturer's) default will always be "don't use any non-Subaru OEM product."

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Here we go again... 😸

Perhaps I shouldn't have posted about the pedestrian thing here. It was in response to the AAA study that @Chuckster posted. It wasn't to do with Rain-X.

My opinion is that until someone does some studies on how Eyesight is affected by these things, no one can say it's not being affected. ACC might still work but maybe the stopping distances are increased (reaction time) or the size of objects it can detect changes (can't see smaller ones), etc.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Anecdotally, I've come to the conclusion (and I started this thread) that there is no problem using Rain-X when properly applied and buffed (to eliminate any hazing or smudges). All Eyesight functions seem to work just fine. I think it's all just Subaru's lawyers doing CYA with new technology. Certainly, they wouldn't recommend the use of a non-Subaru product nor would they open themselves to liability by testing such a thing but there appears to be zero detriment, either. And to EddieZ2--no, Rain-X does exactly the opposite of what you said--it causes the rain to form larger beads of water and roll-off the windscreen via the outside flow of air over the car. It basically helps to evacuate the water from the windscreen. Subaru's (and any manufacturer's) default will always be "don't use any non-Subaru OEM product."
Yeah, exactly that is the reason why people use Rain-x, to let water roll faster and give better view and come to Eyesight will make it better as well since they can find the object easier during rains.
The drawback of Rain-X is typically wiper juddering/noisy, but of course some people think too much and won't believe what really matter

·
Registered
207 Posts
The fact that Rain X is causing beading changes the characteristics of the rainbdrop. I totally agree with AstroKats that a serious test should be done. Ive used Rain X on my cars since it came out and Im familiar with its properties.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Yeah, exactly that is the reason why people use Rain-x, to let water roll faster and give better view and come to Eyesight will make it better as well since they can find the object easier during rains.
The drawback of Rain-X is typically wiper juddering/noisy, but of course some people think too much and won't believe what really matter
STILL waiting for you to provide some verifiable third party data for your claims...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
FWIW, the Rain-X website is silent on this issue and comes up with no results on a search for "Eyesight" or "Subaru." Just for kicks, I sent them the relevant question via their "Contact" system. We'll see how/if they respond.

Also, their site is short on info (like a basic "how it works"). Thanks for the explanation, WikiWand (it's a better way of reading WikiPedia).

I'm still going to continue using it.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
FWIW, the Rain-X website is silent on this issue and comes up with no results on a search for "Eyesight" or "Subaru." Just for kicks, I sent them the relevant question via their "Contact" system. We'll see how/if they respond.

Also, their site is short on info (like a basic "how it works"). Thanks for the explanation, WikiWand (it's a better way of reading WikiPedia).

I'm still going to continue using it.
That will be interesting! Thanks! On the one hand, they are in the business of selling their product but on the other hand they may not want the potential liablility either...

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,088 Posts
And there have been many previous threads on the subject on other Subaru forums. This one is typical and reflects much of the opinions already expressed here:

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Thanks FL! Again, I'm not claiming to know exactly what will and won't affect Eyesight. I take issue with folks who advise other members that there's no problem with doing XYZ because they did it and they didn't notice any problems with Eyesight...

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,088 Posts
And I agree with you, completely. I find it interesting that the issue has been around and discussed similarly for so long.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Please be civil. If you can't, then stop posting.

From the article you posted:

Non-approved aftermarket vehicle accessories, such as hood protectors, and water-repellent glass coatings should not be used with EyeSight-equipped vehicles. EyeSight may not operate properly and EyeSight may temporarily stop operating.

What is Subaru EyeSight? How Does EyeSight Work? | Stanley Subaru

www.stanleysubaru.com
www.stanleysubaru.com

·
Registered
390 Posts
Please be civil. If you can't, then stop posting.

From the article you posted:

Non-approved aftermarket vehicle accessories, such as hood protectors, and water-repellent glass coatings should not be used with EyeSight-equipped vehicles. EyeSight may not operate properly and EyeSight may temporarily stop operating.
www.stanleysubaru.com
www.stanleysubaru.com
Perhaps this English school explanation will work rather than selective reading,

The article mentioned:
Eyesight is a driver assist system which may not operate optimally under all driving conditions

So it means without anything change eyesight is expected to fail in certain scenario, so it is a matter how frequent it will happen.

When you add parameter change, you need to measure yourself whether the frequency of eyesight fails is negligible for your own driving pattern.

The other statement:
Non-approved aftermarket vehicle accessories, such as hood protectors, and water-repellent glass coatings should not be used with EyeSight-equipped vehicles.

Non-approved means in certain scenario the accessories will work without problem, and the word should does not mean must not or shall not.
Again Subaru does not want anyone to touch eysight screen cover so definitely they ban people apply rain-x coating to the cover, which for certain profesional they still do like putting waterproof coating on iPhone.
Again the expectation people do modification take the risk, and do not claim warranty as well as verify themselves whether the mod is effective as expected. I think people need some maturity to accept that they should not mess with car like what they won't do with computer software except they are taking their own responsibility.

So I have said, read eyesight article and youtube video to understand the principle, and experiment yourself to find the threshold limit of the change rather than trolling people sharing the experience on the forum, which by the way already sharing observed data. It is not your right to chase people to provide scientific data since this is not scientific journal forum where theory hypothesis need double blind study data backup.
If you have scientific data that proven otherwise then feel free to present rather than counterclaim without any data as well.

So hope this simple explanation enlighten you and make the forum useful for everyone to share their experience.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
683 Posts
Again Subaru does not want anyone to touch eysight screen cover so definitely they ban people apply rain-x coating to the cover, which for certain profesional they still do like putting waterproof coating on iPhone.
Are you saying that "water-repellent glass coatings should not be used with EyeSight-equipped vehicles" applies to the EyeSight lens behind the windshield, and not the windshield?

41 - 60 of 62 Posts