Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That kind of sums up my question. The owner's manual clearly states not to use any type of window coating like Rain-X because it will interfere with the Eyesight system. Is that really true or is that a Subaru "we won't be held liable if you do that and there's a problem" kind of thing? Discuss.

·
Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
535 Posts
First people start talking about how to wash their cars and now you tell me I'm supposed to clean the windows too? I use RainX windshield cleaner in the washer fluid. My car hasn't acted upset or concerned. I haven't been visited by the subaru blue helicopters. I didn't know there was a problem.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Wait...WHAT? Subaru blue helicopters? [email protected], it's nighttime, how will I see them approaching????

Joking aside, Rain-X Windshield Cleaner is different from the common Rain-X window application.
Wait...WHAT? Subaru blue helicopters? [email protected], it's nighttime, how will I see them approaching????

Joking aside, Rain-X Windshield Cleaner is different from the common Rain-X window application.
They fly underground, that's why we never see them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think what they are referring to is the haze that Rain-X can leave behind once it's applied. I have had that happened. Once you put it on, you should use the wipers and get some fluids on it right away so the haze goes away. Once that happens, it's clear as day. No reason why eyesight wouldn't work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used the Rain-X glass cleaner to start, and I regularly use the Rain-X washer solvent and have not had any issues.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,231 Posts
I often get flak here for pointing out things that might affect the performance of Eyesight (bug deflectors, dash cams, etc.) Many folks seem to think that if Eyesight isn't shutting down and Active Cruise Control is working, then everything is just fine and dandy.

I don't believe it's as simple or binary as that (i.e. Eyesight is working or it isn't). I expect there's a certain tolerance for interference and that it will work as best it can up to a point, for example, in heavy rain or fog until it can't function any more and and shuts down. Using another example, if you gradually added more and more tint to a windshield, I assume Eyesight would eventually stop working before the windshield was completely opaque. But that doesn't mean that Eyesight was working at its optimal capability with the tint level just before the one that shut it down. So, for example, it may not prevent an accident with emergency braking as efficiently as it would on a clear day with a clean clear windshield. It doesn't use radar or lidar, it's entirely optical. So anything that affects its field of view, and the clarity of that view, is going to have some effect on its performance, whether it's an oily film, or a dash cam in the way, or something stuck on the dash that's creating a reflection on the screen.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Would it be incorrect to assume that Eyesite is working correctly until it shows itself shutting down/off? I assumed the contraption is operating until it says it ain't. Tell me it isn't so. I have yet to drive in heavy rain, fog or dust but I've heard it pretty much shuts down under these conditions.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,231 Posts
Would it be incorrect to assume that Eyesite is working correctly until it shows itself shutting down/off? I assumed the contraption is operating until it says it ain't. Tell me it isn't so. I have yet to drive in heavy rain, fog or dust but I've heard it pretty much shuts down under these conditions.
That's my reasoned opinion. It's optical, so it must be able to a better job on a clear day with a clean clear windshield, rather than in a snowstorm with a dashcam blocking part of its view, even if it hasn't actually shut down yet. I just can't believe it's always operating at it's full potential until, suddenly, it isn't.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,231 Posts
[Delete]

·
Registered
535 Posts
That's my reasoned opinion. It's optical, so it must be able to a better job on a clear day with a clean clear windshield, rather than in a snowstorm with a dashcam blocking part of its view, even if it hasn't actually shut down yet. I just can't believe it's always operating at it's full potential until, suddenly, it isn't.
The question becomes: "Does Eyesite continue to operate when it is not receiving optimal input?" Or does the system continually operate in some less efficient mode although it can no longer determine some pieces of information? Perhaps it is silently saying to itself "I can't see worth a damn because of that stupid pair of dice hanging from the mirror, but we'll go a bit farther until the airbag sensor tells me it was a bit too far?" Having said this I still like Eyesite. The "Lane Keep Assist" is a bit wonky though, my car pogos gently back and forth if I find a safe place to let it do it's thing even on straight sections with clear lines.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,231 Posts
The question becomes: "Does Eyesite continue to operate when it is not receiving optimal input?" Or does the system continually operate in some less efficient mode although it can no longer determine some pieces of information? Perhaps it is silently saying to itself "I can't see worth a damn because of that stupid pair of dice hanging from the mirror, but we'll go a bit farther until the airbag sensor tells me it was a bit too far?" Having said this I still like Eyesite. The "Lane Keep Assist" is a bit wonky though, my car pogos gently back and forth if I find a safe place to let it do it's thing even on straight sections with clear lines.
LOL, it should stop the car and summon emergency services if it detects furry dice... ?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The "Lane Keep Assist" is a bit wonky though, my car pogos gently back and forth if I find a safe place to let it do it's thing even on straight sections with clear lines.
1) Correct. But it isn't supposed to be replacing the driver operating the car.

2) Definitive answer re: Rain-X from by dealership (today!): there's no problem using it as long as it's been buffed clear and isn't leaving a hazy finish.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've used Rain-X in all my vehicles for years. Use it in my Crosstrek. No errors or stoppages from EyeSight. Have only had EyeSight stop functioning a few times while driving through a snow storm.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,231 Posts
Found this on Cornell's site while looking for some technical information on Eyesight:

Subaru also uses a stereo vision system called EyeSight [13] for lane detection and collision avoidance, where a stereo camera pair is mounted on either side of the center rear-view mirror. This provides depth perception and lane tracking, and an intelligent drive system provides adaptive braking and cruise control, collision avoidance and lane-departure warnings. While such systems have shown to work reasonably well, they are not immune to failures arising from degraded visual conditions.

·
Registered
111 Posts
That kind of sums up my question. The owner's manual clearly states not to use any type of window coating like Rain-X because it will interfere with the Eyesight system. Is that really true or is that a Subaru "we won't be held liable if you do that and there's a problem" kind of thing? Discuss.
I use Rain-X window cleaner. Never see a problem.

·
Registered
535 Posts
LOL, it should stop the car and summon emergency services if it detects furry dice... ?
"Hello, is this Seal Team Six? This is Subaru HAL 9000. I've got a problem here with my Subaru. The driver is wonky. We'll need a HALO jump. Bring a driver who knows to pay attention when he's driving, non-Rain-X window cleaner, Mobil One Oil, Wix filter, KO2s, a lift kit and some Carburetor Cleaner for the choke..."

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've used Rain-x for years. After reading some of the above responses, I believe this simple question has been blown out of proportion. If you apply Rain-x treatment, you have to buff it after it has dried. Just like wax. As far as affecting the Eyesight function, a dirty windshield would probably cause more problems than Rain-x.

·
Registered
36 Posts
On the subject of the effectiveness of EyeSight under less than optimal conditions (Rain-X treatment, windshield films, rain, fog and darkness), here is a recent WSJ article about a AAA study showing that similar systems by 4 other automakers tended to be much less effective at night at detecting pedestrians, and especially while making right turns. As noted accurately above, these systems are stereo-optical, so it stands to reason that anything that distorts the optics could negatively impact safety. The AAA study compared four sedan models: the Malibu, Accord, Camry and Tesla Model 3. No Subaru in the mix, but the systems are essentially similar. Anyway, be careful at night, and especially on Friday and Saturday, AKA "amateur's night out."

1 - 20 of 76 Posts