Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Frankly, my dealer service department is incompetent and I dont want them fucking up my car.

Is it possible for me to change my own oil without Subaru voiding my warranty?

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium
638 Posts
Yes, it's the law. Google the magnuson moss warranty act.
Essentially, I would suggest taking good notes on what you do. Ideally better notes than the dealership service guy would. You can even put them in on the my subaru website. Those five minutes after each oil change cover your butt if you have to make any warranty claims.
I haven't let the dealership do anything but eyesight recalibration and alignment after my lift.
Good luck.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,209 Posts
In addition to what Sarang suggests, retain all your receipts for oil and oil filter purchases.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
4,038 Posts
Yeah, keep a contemporaneous log of the work that you do, along with copies of receipts, and you'll be fine. I keep a written notebook in my car for that purpose, but you can just as easily do it electronically. Beyond any potential warranty issue, I think it's pretty useful and interesting for my own use ... and having it can also help if you sell the car privately, to show buyers that it's been maintained well.

Keep in mind, too, that a warranty claim can't be denied due to owner negligence unless the negligence is a proximate cause of the issue. If you forget to change the oil, for example, Subaru couldn't deny a claim for a failed CV joint, since the CV failure isn't tied to the lack of an oil change.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
10,163 Posts
Yeah, keep a contemporaneous log of the work that you do, along with copies of receipts, and you'll be fine. I keep a written notebook in my car for that purpose, but you can just as easily do it electronically. Beyond any potential warranty issue, I think it's pretty useful and interesting for my own use ... and having it can also help if you sell the car privately, to show buyers that it's been maintained well.

Keep in mind, too, that a warranty claim can't be denied due to owner negligence unless the negligence is a proximate cause of the issue. If you forget to change the oil, for example, Subaru couldn't deny a claim for a failed CV joint, since the CV failure isn't tied to the lack of an oil change.
IIRC, the burden of proof is on Subaru to demonstrate that the DIY maintenance (or lack thereof) caused the warranty failure, not the consumer's burden to prove they adequately maintained the vehicle.

Oh, and extra points for including "contemporaneous" in your post... 😸

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Premium, Sunshine Orange
253 Posts
And even if you never change the engine oil but the transmission, or steering, or air conditioner fails late in the warranty period, because cruddy engine oil could not adversely affect the transmission, or steering, or air conditioner the failure to perform recommended maintenance would not have been the cause of the failure, so the warranty would not be impacted.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Document, document, document. I do the following:
1. keep written log
2. take pics
3. mark the parts(sharpie marker the oil filter wt date/mileage, mark filters air and cabin as the dealer charges for them and does not change them out). diff plugs, I touch up paint over the plug/threads/diff housing so if it's broken I'll notice. Mark the back of tire wall with a tire crayon(does not get washed off this way).
Shows how much I trust our local dealer. ; ) Frankly, the only way we'd get anything through warranty from our dealer is with a lawyer. So, I maintain it to last(carte blanche maintenance) where it highly unlikely warranty is needed unless manufacturer defect. Sorry to hear, it's surprising to hear how many people are in a similar situation.
regards

·
Registered
29 Posts
At some dealers you’re guilty until proven innocent with your documentation, but most dealerships don’t grill you on the DIY maintenance. I do all my own work (used to be a service tech) and never had a problem with my dealer asking for proof. It’s usually obvious of who takes good care of their car and who beats the %^!& out of it when it comes into the service bay.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts