Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Butchin' Moderator
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to LA after a nice drive from the Bay Area. Found that the key fob only worked in locking the car by touching the fob to the door lock. Unlocks that way too. Dead battery figured. Put new Energizer in the the fob, seemed to work well, opening and locking from a distance. Tested other battery (about a month old but an off brand) and it was still putting out plenty of power. A few hours later went to the car and it wouldn't open or lock again without touching the fob to the lock. Went to the Subaru dealer in Thousand Oaks, maybe my (only) favorite Subaru dealer, and they replaced my new battery with another new one free of charge. I knew I liked them for some reason. Their battery stopped working in the lot as I wandered though the many new cars (didn't appear to be a shortage here although maybe they were all sold and waiting for owners, each with $5,000 dealer mark up) on their lot. Went back to Parts Department and they took the fob apart some more finding a thin white crust on the plastic membrane but nothing on the circuit board.

Parts person was really nice and said that he thought the failing fob would get us back to the Bay Area by touching the fob to the key lock (or using the built in key) and starting the car using the key fob to push the button. Didn't know that.

Read some other archives on this site which weren't too helpful but assured me I wasn't alone with a bad fob, then (due to certain personalities on this site) went to the dreaded manual. So I'm book smarter but no wiser on what to do next.

My question. Has anybody had a failed fob (new batteries didn't help) and used CRC electrical cleaner (or equivalent) to wipe it down and dry it out? I won't do this until I get back to the Bay Area ($250 for fob, $200 to "program" it said the Subaru Parts person - which makes me hesitate to mess around with it when I'm not home) where I have a good key fob that I will use in the future.

Anyone really cleaned their fobs when they became inoperative and batteries don't help? Also why do they call it a "fob?"

·
Resident Curmudgeon
2020 Crosstrek Limited
1,179 Posts
I’m hoping to get a longer service life out of mine by placing it in ‘sleep’ mode whenever I’m not out driving the car.
The second remote is in the safe- asleep.

·
Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
16,180 Posts
I’m hoping to get a longer service life out of mine by placing it in ‘sleep’ mode whenever I’m not out driving the car.
The second remote is in the safe- asleep.
We each have one and so far so good, over four years...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts