Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another problem for my 3.5 month old Crosstrek... see video below. Anyone have any ideas what this could be?

High pitched sound starts 3 seconds in..

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Premium, Sunshine Orange
233 Posts
I hear no "high pitched sound" in the video.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I can hear it easily. When the noise starts, is it the same time as when the AC clutch engages? Doesn't appear to be there at the very beginning of the video. Can't tell though as the video bounces all over. The clutch should engage and disengage as the AC cycles whether on AC or Defrost. See if the noise starts when the clutch engages then quits when disengages.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can hear it easily. When the noise starts, is it the same time as when the AC clutch engages? Doesn't appear to be there at the very beginning of the video. Can't tell though as the video bounces all over. The clutch should engage and disengage as the AC cycles whether on AC or Defrost. See if the noise starts when the clutch engages then quits when disengages.
My AC was off the entire time. I noticed that the sound is definitely coming from the oil filter area. The only moving thing in that area is the ac compressor. Weird that the sound is there despite the ac being off. Is that normal?

·
Registered
89 Posts
My AC was off the entire time. I noticed that the sound is definitely coming from the oil filter area. The only moving thing in that area is the ac compressor. Weird that the sound is there despite the ac being off. Is that normal?
If your a/c has auto temperature control, the compressor does not have a magnetic clutch and runs all the time. The compressor (TSE14F) has a variable output controlled by a swash plate that's moved by a solenoid. So the noise could be coming from the compressor even with a/c off.

Models with manual temp control have a fixed output scroll compressor (SCSA08H) with a magnetic clutch.

·
Registered
346 Posts
With the manual controls, the AC compressor will still engage if the AC is turned off and the controls are set in the defrost position. The video appears to not have the sound at the very beginning then it starts which is why I had asked about the clutch engaging. You can visually see it engage and disengage.

No, squeaking there is not normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts