Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Subaru XV 2021 2.0i-S (Australian Model)
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a lot about LED conversions for headlights, but I was looking to replace the interior cabin lights etc with LEDs. Has anyone tried this and did it make a noticeable difference. I was worried the dimming lights might cause issues. There are a number of kits on eBay but they seem to be just a mix of cheap LEDs. Has anyone done this or suggest a good kit? Or is it just hit and miss with trying replacements for each and hoping for the best? I have a 2021 XV-S (top of the range in Australia) and from what I can see they are not LED (without taking the lens cover off).

·
He wasn't there!
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,416 Posts
I replaced the dome and map lights with Diode Dynamics LEDs and the trunk light with a DD LED strip. It made a huge difference in available interior light levels. Been running it for like 4 years with no problems.

Reactions: stupidchicken03

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the dome and map lights with Diode Dynamics LEDs and the trunk light with a DD LED strip. It made a huge difference in available interior light levels. Been running it for like 4 years with no problems.
Thanks for that information Cutlass. What happened with the LED centre dome light with the 'dimmable' feature? I am not sure if your model has it but when I lock the car for example, the dome light dims slowly first then drops to off. And with the keyless entry when you walk near the car the dome light slowly comes on. Just wondering whether the LED behaves the same or just goes on and off. I think the trunk light also does similar. When I close the back tail gate the trunk light dims to half and then turns off when I lock the car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've replace the trunk light and reverse lights with LEDs from DD. Currently the dome and map lights from DD are on their way. I did this in my last vehicle as well. I found the extra light was great and the LEDs functioned the same as far as the dimming and shut off. That was a Tacoma though. Gimme a couple of days and I can answer how they are in my Crosstrek. All in al though I'd say interior LEDs are great if you're looking for better visibility within the vehicle. The reverse lights are nice too. Take care.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
1,588 Posts
I went to Advance Auto Parts , and brought one bulb at a time in. They matched the bulb with a Sylvania Kool White LEDs. Cost me $36 for the 4 replacements.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
167 Posts
I used the Diode Dynamics bulbs for my interior as well as several exterior lights. They do still dim on my 2020 Base Model, but it isn't the same as the stock non led lights. For example, when they turn on, it kind of goes from off to basically full brightness and then they are completely lit. Then for when they turn off, they get a bit dimmer and then they are just off.

That dimming you see with the stock bulbs is just the filament in the light slowing down the amount of light (heat or whatever its called :LOL: ) its emitting, if you don't lock the car, they will eventually stop emitting light, the leds do act similar in that manner. Leds are basically off or on for the most part.

No issues with locking or unlocking my car with the rear cargo light led in place and lit, I know they had a disclaimer on their website for the crosstreks about it not letting you lock the car until the light is completely off.

Some crappy photos of mine at night in my parents garage.

·
He wasn't there!
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,416 Posts
Thanks for that information Cutlass. What happened with the LED centre dome light with the 'dimmable' feature? I am not sure if your model has it but when I lock the car for example, the dome light dims slowly first then drops to off. And with the keyless entry when you walk near the car the dome light slowly comes on. Just wondering whether the LED behaves the same or just goes on and off. I think the trunk light also does similar. When I close the back tail gate the trunk light dims to half and then turns off when I lock the car.

It comes on bright when you unlock the car. It dims down to dark in about 2-3 seconds when you lock the car.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
167 Posts
Have you installed the back up lights from DD? If so how do you like them? Did you get 300+ lumen bulbs or the lesser ones?
I got the HP11 310 lumens version, I figured if I was spending the money, why not get the brighter of the two? So far no complaints on them, I have had zero issues seeing while backing up in the dark, whether it was dry, rain or snow.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for all the valuable info.

Well living on the other side of the world, I don't have the benefit of buying from US stores (unless I pay a premium in postage). But Amazon US purchases work well for us down under if we order over about $30USD (free postage and it only takes a week or two). So I bought the following:

I will use these in the trunk and licence plate (AKA Boot and Registration Plate in Aus) on the XV (and also same and front doors on my Subaru Outback).

I will use these in the map and dome lights (both VX and Outback).

I will use these for the vanity mirrors (both XV and Outback).

To be honest, I am a little concerned some of the LED lights may be too bright. So I went for moderate lumens. I want clean white light and be able to see but I don't want the car looking like something out of 2001: A Space Odyssey. And I suspect they made that all without LEDs. I will get worried if the car starts calling me Dave...

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
1,588 Posts
How does the output compare to stock?
These are not the exact lights I bought. I bought Alla Lighting 921 with 2 emitters on each light like these. Mine are no longer available. Check with Alla Lighting for the lumins.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used the Diode Dynamics bulbs for my interior as well as several exterior lights. They do still dim on my 2020 Base Model, but it isn't the same as the stock non led lights. For example, when they turn on, it kind of goes from off to basically full brightness and then they are completely lit. Then for when they turn off, they get a bit dimmer and then they are just off.

That dimming you see with the stock bulbs is just the filament in the light slowing down the amount of light (heat or whatever its called :LOL: ) its emitting, if you don't lock the car, they will eventually stop emitting light, the leds do act similar in that manner. Leds are basically off or on for the most part.

No issues with locking or unlocking my car with the rear cargo light led in place and lit, I know they had a disclaimer on their website for the crosstreks about it not letting you lock the car until the light is completely off.

Some crappy photos of mine at night in my parents garage.

I did have to wait to lock with key fob until the trunk light went off. So I turned it off

1 - 14 of 14 Posts