Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never really looked at my tire tracks in the snow, but forgot my laptop at home and walked back down to the house to get it.

Tire Wheel Sky Car Snow

Atmosphere Cloud Water Automotive tire Azure

Automotive tire Slope Road surface Cloud Sky

I didn't feel any slippage nor did the traction light stuff light up.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
14,660 Posts
Interesting - looks like you have cables on the tires...

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
32 Posts
Looks like the snow was sticking to the tires as they rolled over in consistent intervals. Not sure but like it rides up a snow ramp compresses squishes sticks and repeat. Assuming the tires were cold and the snow had a little moisture in it the compresssed snow stuck and left that pattern. Hot Wax your tires with Swix Blue and that should eliminate those pesky ridges. ☃

·
Registered
(soon) 2022 Crosstrek Limited. 2012 Ram 1500 4X4 V8.
67 Posts
Yea. While I don't know enough to dive into the chemistry and physics behind it, I can confirm this is normal and nothing to be concerned about. Has a lot to do with the temperature of the snow and the moisture content. It wasn't enough to stick to the tires, but was just enough to compress into small sheets and stay on the ground like that.

·
Registered
2019 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
632 Posts
If you take the distance in between the cracks, multiply by the inverse square root of the crack's depth and substract the snowflake density per mm3 under the tire, you can obtain your speed, ambient temperature, and the BMI of the driver. Old trick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts