Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed a new set of Infinity Reference 3032cfx speakers into the family's MY18 prem with the RF factory audio upgrade(and RF speakers in rear door as well),in the dash. Used the metra harnesses(pt# 72-8110) to make them plug & play. The speakers are a "snug" fit but work. They got a huge thumbs up from the family member who drives the car.
Was a tad hesitant to install with the temps being as cool as they are(IE hard plastic) but went ahead anyway. Used plastic interior pry tools which made the job much easier(pry at front). Removed the speaker screws with a phillips bit from a screw driver and a 6mm wrench to turn it, albeit slowly. The metra harness makes it quite easy, but there is a bit of extra wire that needs to be tucked away. Before reinstalling the speaker covers, I put a bit of Porsche assembly paste/grease on the clips just in case removal is required down the line.
The system has more balance now. The original speakers are just junk. Wished I'd done this sooner.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

Hope this helps others.

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Limited
447 Posts
How much did all the parts cost and will you do the install in my car? :p

Personally, I do appreciate good sound quality and discern the difference between a CD and a vinyl record album. I always worry about damaging the car with a DIY sound upgrade like you did. I see that the speakers are now 50% off (only $49.98) and the harnesses are $14.99. How much was the Rockford Fosgate factory auto upgrade and rear door speakers (and part numbers?)? And where did you get your plastic pry tools? I know there's a jillion sources for those, just curious (and maybe others are, too). Thanks!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much did all the parts cost and will you do the install in my car? :p

Personally, I do appreciate good sound quality and discern the difference between a CD and a vinyl record album. I always worry about damaging the car with a DIY sound upgrade like you did. I see that the speakers are now 50% off (only $49.98) and the harnesses are $14.99. How much was the Rockford Fosgate factory auto upgrade and rear door speakers (and part numbers?)? And where did you get your plastic pry tools? I know there's a jillion sources for those, just curious (and maybe others are, too). Thanks!
Here's the factory upgrade...
factory audio upgrade
The dash speakers with harnesses were about $70 and the rear Rockford Fosgate speakers I installed in the rear doors were about $60-ish. I bought the factory upgrade kit when it was at $300 which I thought was a bargain. You can get those plastic interior pry tools almost anywhere, but here is one source...
pry tool set
And yes, of course I'd help install it. The tricky part is the factory wiring harness placement. Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts