Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used part# J201SFL300 to get auto-dimming side view mirrors. Remember you must have the auto-dimming rear view mirror for all this to work.

Didn't take any pictures, but I figured since no one has written literally ANYTHING on this subject, someone in the future might be able to gain from my experience.

Overall this was pretty easy, the only hard part was getting the mirrors to snap back into position. The wiring was exactly where it was supposed to be and connected extremely easy. I paid $155.xx shipped which was much cheaper than the local dealer.

So, for my tips if I'd have to do this again:

1. Getting the original mirrors off seemed like quite the task until I figured out how to do it, then it became ridiculously easy. Make sure you move them entirely towards the car so you can see in between the mirror and the housing from the side pointing away from the car. There are at least 2 places designed for a flat head screwdriver to be inserted and twisted to get the mirror to pop off. You'll see them, use a flashlight if its difficult. Put the flat head screwdriver in the little indent and twist and it'll pop the mirror off. Once you've got the thing started just keep pushing the screwdriver farther in and rotating gently and it'll completely pop off. This is EXTREMELY easy, if its hard you're doing it wrong.
  2. The instructions show where you can push the wires into two retainers. I only found one that would work, the other wire retainer it claims you should use is already used by the heater element wire and isn't in a position where the new wires will go through it anyhow.
  3. They give you a huge amount of lube. Doesn't appear that you'll need the whole thing, just a bit.
  4. Put painters tape around the inside of the mirror housing right about where the mirror will be to avoid scratches on the reinstall. Then take the tape off when you're done. The edges of the mirrors will scratch the black plastic as I found out the hard way.
  5. When reinstalling, make sure you don't pinch the wires between the mirror and the white plastic piece the mirror mounts to. It looks like they gave you literally the absolute minimum amount of wire to make this work...
  6. Also when reinstalling make sure you get the "friction tab" or whatever it is they call it inside its housing. It'll tend to catch on the edge and then you won't be able to get the mirror back on, or if you do you'll bend/break the tab or its mount.
  7. As I said above, hardest part is getting the stupid mirror back into place. It is held on by 4 snap type plastic on plastic connectors, and the assembly likes to move around. What I figured was moving the white plastic mount into a position where the mirror will be more or less flat with the open face of the housing, then carefully line up the mirror on the mount ensuring the wire is clear and the friction tab is in its hole, and then applying even force. It took more than felt comfortable and for both of my mirrors all 4 tabs popped on at the same time. There doesn't appear to be a way to easily see if the mirror is completely mounted because the new mirror is thicker and its seemingly impossible to get a look behind the mirror. I just assumed that since it looked flat on there and I had full range of motion on the adjustments I had it good. This part is a pain in the ***.
  8. Bring windex and paper towels to wipe off your newly installed mirrors once installed. You're going to get them gross.
  9. The mirror housing rotates, which can make it easier to push on the mirror in that final step, but if you rotate it prior to lining up the mirror the wires get pulled ever so slightly more taught and makes it more difficult to line up without pinching them.

Anyway, hopefully this helps someone in the weeks/months/years ahead.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Nice write up Anasazi. I'm sure some folks will find it very useful. Thanks

Reactions: dhmacmu

·
Registered
12 Posts
My new Crosstrek has the autodimming rear view mirror, but not the auto dimming side mirrors with the entry/exit lighting. I thought about doing this, but was afraid until I saw the write up you posted, Anasazi. Thanks! Question... do that autodimming mirrors also have the heating? So they are autodimming, have heating (like the ones I'm replacing), and they have the lighting? Thank you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My new Crosstrek has the autodimming rear view mirror, but not the auto dimming side mirrors with the entry/exit lighting. I thought about doing this, but was afraid until I saw the write up you posted, Anasazi. Thanks! Question... do that autodimming mirrors also have the heating? So they are autodimming, have heating (like the ones I'm replacing), and they have the lighting? Thank you.
yep. The heating element wires plug right into the new mirror.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does anyone know the difference between these 2 part numbers? When I search for the mirrors I’m getting J201SFL300 and J201SFL301. It says the 301 replaces the 300, but doesn’t tell why and the 300 are still readily available.

I’m very confused

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Does anyone know the difference between these 2 part numbers? When I search for the mirrors I’m getting J201SFL300 and J201SFL301. It says the 301 replaces the 300, but doesn’t tell why and the 300 are still readily available.

I’m very confused

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I realize I'm all kinds of late to the thread and your post, but I just installed these on my '18 Premium a few days ago. From what I can gather, there is no difference in the part numbers. Mine came with both numbers on the box with one in parentheses. J201SFL300 (J201SFL301). My rear seat back protector was the same way. Maybe a different number for a different market or one is discontinued and this is showing that it's the newer version of the same part? Either way, the original write up on the installation is well done. If they don't come with instructions like mine didn't, they're easy to find on google by searching the part number and instructions. Only took about 10-15 minutes for the first mirror and a couple mminutes for the second. Good luck!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Only took about 10-15 minutes for the first mirror and a couple mminutes for the second. Good luck!
Does this include the approach light in left mirror? THX!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Used part# J201SFL300 to get auto-dimming side view mirrors. Remember you must have the auto-dimming rear view mirror for all this to work.

Didn't take any pictures, but I figured since no one has written literally ANYTHING on this subject, someone in the future might be able to gain from my experience.

Overall this was pretty easy, the only hard part was getting the mirrors to snap back into position. The wiring was exactly where it was supposed to be and connected extremely easy. I paid $155.xx shipped which was much cheaper than the local dealer.

So, for my tips if I'd have to do this again:

1. Getting the original mirrors off seemed like quite the task until I figured out how to do it, then it became ridiculously easy. Make sure you move them entirely towards the car so you can see in between the mirror and the housing from the side pointing away from the car. There are at least 2 places designed for a flat head screwdriver to be inserted and twisted to get the mirror to pop off. You'll see them, use a flashlight if its difficult. Put the flat head screwdriver in the little indent and twist and it'll pop the mirror off. Once you've got the thing started just keep pushing the screwdriver farther in and rotating gently and it'll completely pop off. This is EXTREMELY easy, if its hard you're doing it wrong.
  2. The instructions show where you can push the wires into two retainers. I only found one that would work, the other wire retainer it claims you should use is already used by the heater element wire and isn't in a position where the new wires will go through it anyhow.
  3. They give you a huge amount of lube. Doesn't appear that you'll need the whole thing, just a bit.
  4. Put painters tape around the inside of the mirror housing right about where the mirror will be to avoid scratches on the reinstall. Then take the tape off when you're done. The edges of the mirrors will scratch the black plastic as I found out the hard way.
  5. When reinstalling, make sure you don't pinch the wires between the mirror and the white plastic piece the mirror mounts to. It looks like they gave you literally the absolute minimum amount of wire to make this work...
  6. Also when reinstalling make sure you get the "friction tab" or whatever it is they call it inside its housing. It'll tend to catch on the edge and then you won't be able to get the mirror back on, or if you do you'll bend/break the tab or its mount.
  7. As I said above, hardest part is getting the stupid mirror back into place. It is held on by 4 snap type plastic on plastic connectors, and the assembly likes to move around. What I figured was moving the white plastic mount into a position where the mirror will be more or less flat with the open face of the housing, then carefully line up the mirror on the mount ensuring the wire is clear and the friction tab is in its hole, and then applying even force. It took more than felt comfortable and for both of my mirrors all 4 tabs popped on at the same time. There doesn't appear to be a way to easily see if the mirror is completely mounted because the new mirror is thicker and its seemingly impossible to get a look behind the mirror. I just assumed that since it looked flat on there and I had full range of motion on the adjustments I had it good. This part is a pain in the ***.
  8. Bring windex and paper towels to wipe off your newly installed mirrors once installed. You're going to get them gross.
  9. The mirror housing rotates, which can make it easier to push on the mirror in that final step, but if you rotate it prior to lining up the mirror the wires get pulled ever so slightly more taught and makes it more difficult to line up without pinching them.
Anyway, hopefully this helps someone in the weeks/months/years ahead.
My mirror glass replacement kit arrive today. Using the information you have provided and the printable instructions, I was able to install both driver and passenger mirrors in less than 15 minutes for the total project! Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
installed today on a ‘19 limited. super easy once i found the screwdriver divots to pop the old mirrors off. thx for the write up!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi. I followed your guide and installed the mirrors on my 2019 Limited. Very easy to install and it took about 25 minutes to do both. I used a plastic pry tool to remove the old mirrors, and had to use some vinyl gloves to install the grease because it came in a pouch instead of a tube. I noticed the old mirrors have a dampner tab as well, so I just had to install a bit more grease. Otherwise an easy job. I installed the auto dimming mirror with compass as well, since you need that for the setup to work. Disassembly around the EyeSight unit was rather straightforward, but it took a while to find the connecting plug for the harness to connect to. The whole setup works beautiful. I got the items from a local Subaru dealer where I live (Picked them up instead of having them shipped) for 371.00 total (including tax). I really needed this because of the night glare that bothers me while driving.

·
Registered
2019 Limited - Suba
291 Posts
Do your new mirrors also have the approach light LEDs? If so, did you notice whether the LED is a standard bulb that can be replaced?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I installed my auto-dimming side mirrors in about 25 minutes yesterday. Easy process. These do have an LED approach light but I didn't pay attention to whether they're replaceable. My hunch is they are soldered in which shouldn't be an issue as LEDs have a typical service life in excess of 20,000 hours and these will see limited on-time in the real world.

·
Registered
2019 Limited - Suba
291 Posts
I installed my auto-dimming side mirrors in about 25 minutes yesterday. Easy process. These do have an LED approach light but I didn't pay attention to whether they're replaceable. My hunch is they are soldered in which shouldn't be an issue as LEDs have a typical service life in excess of 20,000 hours and these will see limited on-time in the real world.
Thanks - I imagine that they are not replaceable.

One of my hobbies is amateur astronomy. I've replaced all the interior lights with red LEDs so I can have the back open on the observing field and use the cargo area as my equipment table. I was considering the feasibility of changing the approach lights to red, as well. Even though they turn themselves off after about 15 minutes they still get triggered from time to time. My current method of blocking the light is a couple of Crown Royal bags.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts