Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I installed the 2" EcoHitch Stealth on my 2018 MT6 this afternoon, prepping for an upcoming trip (carrying bikes), and ran into a couple of minor problems along the way, so I thought I'd share and smooth the way for others. The images in the install instructions and the vendor website were fairly clear, so I won't bother attaching any pics.

First here's the hitch and the install instructions:
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Subaru/Crosstrek/2018/306-X7365.html?vehicleid=201848488
http://www.hitchsource.com/docs/pdf/TC_X7365.pdf

Issues (the most important is #3):
1. Had to drop the muffler from its hangers. I've never done this before and a quick search lead me to the solution of using WD40 (or silicon lubricant) and some channel lock pliers. After spraying the hanger metal a bit, I set the piers spanned across the edge of the hanger and the rubber bit it is hanging from and squeezed until the hanger nub was inside the rubber. Then I wiggled the hanger free from the rubber using my fingers (wearing mechanic gloves in case of pinch-type failure).
2. I misjudged which plugs the diagrams where indicating. There are 6 plugs to remove total, 3 on each side. The instructions only mention 2 of them though, neglecting to mention the middle set. Remove all 6 rubber plugs. The furthest forward set is the set that you will run the plate washers through, as none of the other plus holes are large enough to fit the plate washer through. As I didn't initially notice the largest holes, I initially thought I was going to have to drill out the middle holes a bit to make space, thankfully I was just looking at the situation wrong.
3. BEFORE you run the plate washers through the plug holes, make sure the bolts easily slide through. I had to file out the paint from the inside of the plate washers, otherwise the bolts would not fit through. I learned this _after_ I had threaded the first bolt and washer set through, and then had the difficult task of backing everything back out to figure out why the bolt wouldn't pull through. This is a pretty major failure in the instructions, everything else I can chalk up to just my lack of experience/attention to detail.
4. I had to lift the hitch up to install it by myself. I used a couple of concrete blocks to get it lifted close to right elevation, then muscled it up to meet the bolts hanging down on one side. Here's the trick I used - just install the nuts directly and don't mess with the washers until _after_ you've got all 4 nuts installed, that way you won't need to mess with holding the hitch up and screwing everything on at once. After you have the 4 nuts on, take them off one at a time and re-add them with the washers. If you have another set of hands, this step will require less creativity :)

Hope this helps someone!

·
Registered
22 Posts
did it cause any issues w/ sensors for lane assist, etc? Thanks in advance.. Wayne

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
> did it cause any issues w/ sensors for lane assist, etc? Thanks in advance.. Wayne
Sorry my Crosstrek doesn't have those features. Are there sensors located on the bottom of the rear bumper?

> Do we have a pic of the finished 2" installed?
There are pretty decent pics in the etrailer link up in the original post.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks! Going to do the install this weekend and I printed your issues list to assist.

Reactions: oldman

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks and hopefully it goes smooth for you! The hitch has worked for me so far! I've only been moving bikes around on it thought.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Did the install today. It went well, but I followed the pictures too closely and lost about 30 min trying to figure out how to install the hardware in the furthest forward holes. Turns out their figure 4.1 is completely wrong (taken from inside the vehicle), but the instructions are right. I also opted to remove the muffler completely rather than lowering it. That cleared up lots more space to work. Ratcheting on and off the receiver every use is going to be a chore, but the the hitch is completely out of sight with it off. The safety chain loops are right in back of the bumper though. If they ever get put to use, the bumper is going to be f'd for sure.

As far as their figure 4.1, I emailed their support to let them know the issue and they replied that the picture was only intended to show what the fished setup should look like. Funny thing is, they could have shot that same picture from where it is supposed to be but instead they drilled out one of the holes inside the vehicle :unsure:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Man, good instructions are really nice to have for car stuff, too bad in this case, well... they just aren't. I'm glad you got it figured out and done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts