Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

Which would you choose?

• Total voters
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I am currently driving a 2011 VW Tiguan 4motion and am honestly about tired of it. Check engine light is a frequent visitor, the smallest issues cost hundreds of dollars, and even just filling up my tank with 93 every time is draining my wallet. I have been researching and it looks like the Crosstrek is the holy grail of cars for me, offering decent mpgs for the class, a comfy enough daily driver feel, and also the ability go off-roading enough to get to trails and explore, which we like to do most weekends. I am having the dilemma of deciding between buying a 2017 or a 2018 Crosstrek. I have found 4 real contenders in my area that I'm strongly considering...tell me which you think is the best value:

A) 2017 Crosstrek Premium with 30,000 miles and a super clean carfax with service done by the dealership every 5,000-7,000 miles for $17,500

B) 2017 Certified Pre-owned Crosstrek Premium with 35,000 miles for $19,000

C) 2018 Corsstrek Premium with 40,000 miles for $20,000

D) 2018 Crosstrek Base model with 55,000 miles and a super clean carfax for $18,500

The first one feels like the best value between the price, carfax, and mileage, but if the 2018 model is "that much" better, one of those may be worth the couple thousand dollars extra. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,246 Posts
Door C. I think you find the majority here will agree.

Reactions: tiger_OB

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,501 Posts
We waited for the '18 for many reasons and no regrets.

Have you researched the '17 versus the '18, and have you driven both of them?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We waited for the '18 for many reasons and no regrets.

Have you researched the '17 versus the '18, and have you driven both of them?
I've definitely researched them both about as much as possible. Read consumer reports, US News rankings, watched probably 15 youtube videos, and read through here. I definitely have looked toward the '18 for the X-mode, in particular, but also because most say it drives like a completely different (and better) car. My only issue is that I am always a little wary of buying the first year of a generation and not truly knowing the reliability, whereas you can assume the '17 will be the best version of that generation. I am also leaning toward C, but just wanted to get the thoughts of many people who have first-hand experience with this same dilemma and have actually driven them.

I have not driven either yet, but set to drive C tomorrow afternoon! Trying to find someone carrying a local 2013-2017 model just to test drive and compare the drive quality at some point this week as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I definitely appreciate everyone's input so far! I'm truly between A and C, which ultimately means the difference of 10,000 miles, $2,500, and all the updates the 2018 model got. After this, I'm decidedly leaning toward C as well, set for a test drive tomorrow! Any advice on things to look/check for?

Thanks for all the help, guys!

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,501 Posts
whereas you can assume the '17 will be the best version of that generation
I would disagree with that but each to his own. Some here say to never to buy the first model of a new gen, but then there would never be a new gen. Very happy with ours...

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
965 Posts
No matter which pre-owned vehicle you choose be sure to have a pre-purchase inspection performed by a mechanic of YOUR choice, preferably by a mechanic familiar with Subaru. Ideally that would be an independent Subaru-only repair shop. Don't rely on an inspection by a seller's mechanic.

Don't put too much faith in a clean Vehicle History Report. A favorable CarFax is not a green flag to proceed with purchase because an accident, for example, may have been unreported. Consider a clean Carfax as a yellow flag to proceed with caution with a pre-purchase inspection.

I don't disagree with your favoring the last year of a generation run over the first year. However, the improvements in the 2018 over the previous generation was a pretty good leap. In Consumer Reports road tests the 2018 scored 87 vs. 74 for the 2017. On the other hand, CR reliability data indicates that In-Car Electronics is a trouble spot in the 2018 but not in the 2017. If you are buy a 2018 from a Subaru dealer make a HU software update part of the deal.

Bottom line, I vote for C.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If anyone in interested, I ended up just buying a new 2020 Premium in Cool Gray Khaki! The dealer was offering .9% financing, so with the resell value of these things, it really made more sense just to go new. Now, I can take care of it from day 1. Did you all do any rust-proofing when you first got your Crosstrek?

·
Registered
174 Posts
If anyone in interested, I ended up just buying a new 2020 Premium in Cool Gray Khaki! The dealer was offering .9% financing, so with the resell value of these things, it really made more sense just to go new. Now, I can take care of it from day 1. Did you all do any rust-proofing when you first got your Crosstrek?

Wicked smart move! As I was reading through this thread and posts, this was exactly what I was going to suggest. The mileage was too high on those other choices and the pricing was very close to buying new. You deserve it especially after the VW issues.

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,308 Posts
No, don't do rust proofing. That can actually do more harm than good on these new modern cars. Just wash them regularly if you drive in salted streets in the winter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts